PDA

View Full Version : My new lumber hauler is here!

Brian Hale
03-01-2009, 3:39 PM
I've been away from the forums for awhile now and here's the reason, designing and coordinating our new truck. It's amazing how much of my time it took. The bed is a modified version of a base design and i made several drawings in Sketchup and DeltaCad to get it sized for our needs. I bought the truck in October last year and shipped it to Classy Chassis Truck in Indiana. They took my drawings and built the all aluminum bed in about 8 weeks time and i'm very pleased with the quality of their work. Everything matched my drawing perfectly. There's 50" between wheel wells and the floor is 108" long. Sides are 19" high, similar to a normal truck bed.

It's main function, other than hauling wood to the shop and furniture out, is to carry our soon to be ordered Host Yukon slide-in truck camper to places that don't have paved roads, boondocking if you will. We really enjoy getting away from the fast paced lives we live during the week and settling down with a good book and an adult beverage next to a warm campfire just melts the stress away completely.

Of course there's more work to do. We're planning on installing several shelves and/or racks in the 4 larger compartments and most likely i'll use some of the Ipe left over from our deck to make them. It'll be a challenge to get them in and secured but it'll be a lot of fun to.

Anyway, here's a few pics from Classy Chassis. Once the weather clears up a bit i'll take some of my own.

Thanks for looking!
Brian :)

On Edit: It's a 2008 Dodge Ram 4500 Cab and Chassis 4x4

Jim Becker
03-01-2009, 9:18 PM
Wow...that is a major sharp looking setup, Brian!! Very nice! Perfect for its intended use, too.

Aaron Berk
03-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Most excellent indeed!
I too would use a 4 door model if I was to do something like that. Can't stand the cramped feeling of a single cab truck.

Belinda Barfield
03-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Pretty sweet Brian. How are you set up for cooking, other than campfire?

Brian Hale
03-03-2009, 6:33 PM
Thanks Folks!

Cooking? Well the campfire is for steaks and burgers but the camper has all the ameties of a house; bath, shower, sink, stove, microwave, bed. etc. Of cousre we do a fair amount of backpacking also....

Brian :)