PDA

View Full Version : French doors and security question

Benjamin Dahl
03-01-2009, 3:08 PM
A couple of years ago I installed a Masonite steel inswing french door leading onto a deck I built. last night someone tried to break into my house. fortunately the door held pretty well so they did not get in and my alarm scared them off. i was not at home at the time so don't have details on how many people it might have been. I was impressed with door and so were the police (not bad for a relatively inexpensive door from the BORG). In any case, even though the door prevented entry, it is pretty damaged and I will need to replace it. It was somewhat breached but they could not get it open enough to get in. The schlage deadbolt probably helped.

An outswing door is about double the price but seems that it might be more secure since it would more difficult to kick in. On the other hand maybe it would be easier to pry open with a crow bar but I am not sure? I assume that on an outswing door the hinges would be outside so maybe that would be another weakness but maybe not.

In anycase, I am wondering if there were any opinions in regards to security?
Thanks,
Ben

Jim Becker
03-01-2009, 9:25 PM
Outswing doors normally have hinges that can't be easily pulled apart. The double doors on my shop are that way...the pins are welded into the hinges.

One thing I've done to my doors is not only use a good dead bolt, but also they pin into the header at the top and into the floor at the bottom. That gives three points of strength rather than just the dead bolt.

Benjamin Dahl
03-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Thanks Jim, i also had it pinned at the header and into the floor and that added an additional layer of security that helped out. You answered my worries about the hinges so I think I may go for the outswing. the peace of mind is worth a couple hundred dollars.
Ben

David Weiser
03-02-2009, 12:09 AM
All I can say is that it makes me glad that I don't live in Georgia anymore. Where was this, in the ATL Metro Area?

Aaron Berk
03-02-2009, 12:58 AM
Hope it wasn't in my neck of the woods. I'm in process of ditching my sliding glass for an out swing french. Haven't had any theft around here in awhile (Savannah outskirts)

Benjamin Dahl
03-02-2009, 7:32 AM
Metro ATL. Definitely an increase in crime during the last few months. I do feel fortunate they did not get in since some of my neighbors did have people enter their homes.
Thanks for the feedback. I will see how long it will take them to order an outswing door. There are some other advantages too as it will give me some more space off the kitchen. Time to make some lemonade out of lemons.
Ben

Aaron Berk
03-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Just a thought...

Wonder if the down turn in the economy will produce an increase in crime? You know one of those desperate times desperate measures sort of thing.

David Weiser
03-02-2009, 4:04 PM
Metro ATL. Definitely an increase in crime during the last few months. I do feel fortunate they did not get in since some of my neighbors did have people enter their homes.
Thanks for the feedback. I will see how long it will take them to order an outswing door. There are some other advantages too as it will give me some more space off the kitchen. Time to make some lemonade out of lemons.
Ben

Well, it is fortunate that you did not actually have someone enter. Hate to ask, but what part of Atlanta was this? Just out of curiosity.

Tom Godley
03-02-2009, 4:36 PM
I am not sure if one way is stronger then the other as long as the slave door has a strong top and bottom lock.

I love the way the Pella doors work -- the locks go up and down into the header and the sill on both doors -- then they have a latch/ dead-bolt. The only problem is they are $$.

I just installed a Pella french out swing (very nice) -- I also have an out-swing to my garage - standard fire door.

I would think that all out swing doors come with non removable hinges - some have extra pins to lock them together when closed.

Benjamin Dahl
03-02-2009, 5:10 PM
David, the Decatur/Avondale area (generally safe part of town IMO).
Tom, thanks for the suggestion about Pella. I will check them out and at least make sure i find some product with non-removeable hinges.

Ben

M Toupin
03-02-2009, 8:14 PM
I've broke down more than my share of doors (legally):D

Here's what I've learned; out swing doors are harder to breach than an in swing but an in swing door with a strong top and bottom lock is also difficult. A steel door frame and door also greatly improves it's security as far as knocking it down. On the other hand, any door with glass is less secure than a solid door, but that defeats the purpose of French doors... On a door with lites all you have to do is break out a light and reach through to unlock the door, not terribly secure. But then again, locks only keep honest people out.

Your alarm is what scared off the burglars though, not your locks. Burglars are non-confrontational, they don't want to get caught. They also don't like anything that draws undo attention, like loud noises. The best deterrent is a big dog with bigger teeth. The next best thing is a very loud alarm, the louder the better! But you already know that:)

Mike

Benjamin Dahl
03-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Mike, thanks for the feedback.
A 200 lb. chimp might also be a good option.;)

M Toupin
03-03-2009, 8:28 PM
Or maybe just a little trunk monkey:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM9HsyZpREk

Mike

Aaron Berk
03-04-2009, 1:08 PM
Or maybe just a little trunk monkey:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM9HsyZpREk

Mike

LMBO:D gotta get me one of those!

Eddie Watkins
03-04-2009, 8:26 PM
If you have windows in the door, get a deadbolt that is keyed on both sides. If they break the window, they still can't unlock the door.

Benjamin Dahl
03-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Thanks Eddie. I do have it keyed on both sides and completely agree that is the way to go.
the trunk monkey would be a nice addition.
Ben