PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a MiniMax 16 Weakness

Bruce Page
03-01-2009, 2:20 PM
I was resawing some short boards last weekend. I was using a push stick pushing the last bit through the blade when the blade caught the wood tilting it and destroying the plastic throat plate. :(
I have never liked the way MiniMax designed their throat plate, it’s just a cast, sorta square hole in the table and the cheesy plastic insert just sits in the hole. You can adjust the insert level using 4 small screws but mine always rattled around in the hole.
After last weekends little mishap I decided to remedy the poor design by taking the table off and modifying it to accept a custom brass insert that should last the life of the saw.
The biggest chore was getting the table back right. I must’ve spent three hours fussing with it getting it dialed in.

All that’s left is to clean up the brass chips everywhere.

Anyway, here’s the required documentation… :rolleyes:

Jim O'Dell
03-01-2009, 2:35 PM
Very nicely done! I'll have to go look at my E16. I was catching the back corner of the throat this morning cutting up some wood. I hadn't pulled the piece up to see that it was adjustable.
Did you have to mill the lip in for the brass insert to sit on? Or is that already there? I'm guessing thats why you took the table off. Thanks for the pictures! Jim.

edit: Nope, no leveling screws on mine, but I might be able to add some. Drill, tap, and insert hex socket screws, allen wrench, and good to go.

Gary Herrmann
03-01-2009, 2:38 PM
Ooh, that's sweet, Bruce. You should make those to sell.

Bruce Page
03-01-2009, 2:44 PM
Very nicely done! I'll have to go look at my E16. I was catching the back corner of the throat this morning cutting up some wood. I hadn't pulled the piece up to see that it was adjustable.
Did you have to mill the lip in for the brass insert to sit on? Or is that already there? I'm guessing thats why you took the table off. Thanks for the pictures! Jim.
Jim, I had to mill the step into the opening.

Martin Shupe
09-05-2010, 3:57 PM
Wow, that is sweet!

Now I want one.

I'll have to take it to a metal shop to mill the step and make the insert, but I think it will be worth it.

Another thing to add to my "things to do" list.

Thanks Bruce!

Bruce Page
09-05-2010, 4:28 PM
Martin, I'm here to help! :D

Eiji Fuller
09-05-2010, 5:29 PM
That's got to be the coolest bandsaw throatplate I ve ever seen. I was wondering about it when reading you blade guide thread.
One thing though, when using narrower blades and curve cutting the blade tends to flex and eat into the insert. Do you do anything to not let that happen?

Bruce Page
09-05-2010, 5:49 PM
Thanks Eiji. I usually keep the 1" Tri-Master on the MM. I have a smaller Rikon for the curvy cuts.

Larry Fox
09-05-2010, 8:13 PM
This is really cool. My MM16 table might find itself at the local machine shop getting that little shelf milled to accept a custom insert. I agree with others Bruce - you should start making them to sell. Afterall, I have to pay someone to make one for me - might as well be you. Nudge, nudge. :)

Paul McGaha
09-05-2010, 8:45 PM
Super good idea Bruce.

Doug Shepard
09-05-2010, 8:49 PM
Very nicely done sir. I think the newer MM16s have a similar ledge setup instead of the cheesy plastic affair that ours have.
If I only had a milling machine (and the skills to use it):(

ian maybury
09-05-2010, 9:16 PM
Very nifty Bruce.

Just give me a moment to take cover before you guys start firing, but i wonder if the step couldn't possibly be milled in situ in careful stages/using light cuts with a template and an end mill or similar in a router???

Cast iron (provided it's the grey variety) isn't usually too hard to machine...

ian

Van Huskey
09-05-2010, 10:25 PM
That's one sexy throat plate! Nice job.

Wes Grass
09-06-2010, 2:57 AM
"i wonder if the step couldn't possibly be milled in situ in careful stages/using light cuts with a template and an end mill or similar in a router???"

You could probably get away with that, using a small (like 3/16-1/4") 4 flute carbide endmill running at the slowest speed you've got in a variable speed router. It'd probably help, or at least sure wouldn't hurt, to add some mass with a hefty extended MDF base on the router.

And then the question is whether to take light cuts in depth or width? I think I'd personally go for full depth (and leave a little for a finish pass) with light radial passes, but that might change after the first pass ;-)

Jim Becker
09-07-2010, 9:57 PM
Oooh...that's really nice, Bruce! I wish you were in the neighborhood so I could hand you my table and a bribe... LOL

Robert LaPlaca
09-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Bruce, the brass insert is outstanding.. Gets rid of that cheesy plastic insert very effectively, you might be getting quite a few Minimax bandsaw tables shipped to you..

Mark Davis PDX
04-18-2012, 11:02 PM
Bruce- that is a work of art. Can I order one from you? :-) -mark

Joe Angrisani
04-19-2012, 8:52 AM
Nicely done, Bruce!

Just don't let the Grizzly guys find out you had to fix a MM. Might ruin that "perfect out of the box" reputation. :p

Matt Meiser
04-19-2012, 9:16 AM
Bruce, do you make them to fit Grizzly saws too?

Alan Lightstone
04-19-2012, 9:34 AM
Oooh Bruce. nice.
Now you have me wanting to make one for the bizarely designed, cheesy throat plate on my Laguna.

Bruce Page
04-19-2012, 3:05 PM
Thanks guys!
I'm not in the throat plate business, Besides, it’s not just making the plate, the table needs to be machined too – at least my MM did.

Chris Tsutsui
04-19-2012, 4:32 PM
Takes a machinist to pull something like that off.

I just wonder if they make the throat plate plastic so it has some give and take impacts as a sacrificial piece. Though I don't really see how a bandsaw would not benefit from a firm and secure AL throat plate.

Bruce Page
04-19-2012, 5:14 PM
Takes a machinist to pull something like that off.

I just wonder if they make the throat plate plastic so it has some give and take impacts as a sacrificial piece. Though I don't really see how a bandsaw would not benefit from a firm and secure AL throat plate.

No, I think they make it out of plastic because it is cheaper to produce. I don't recall ever seeing plastic throat plates on industrial grade bandsaws.