PDA

View Full Version : Do you know the Mustard Man?

Nathan Hawkes
03-01-2009, 1:26 PM
Well, I ordered my new lathe Friday. It'll be about 2-3 weeks before it arrives, but I'm the (future) owner of a 3520B with bed extension for outboard turning. I got a very good price, and am purchasing it through a local dealer, which I really value in terms of service and local business, especially in these economic times!! I looked at several online dealers, and decided to go local because of the economy. I buy most things from local dealers if I can. They rely on your patronage especially now. Support local business and local farmers! Hope I don't sound too much like I'm on a soapbox. I buy my share of things on the net, and would'nt be anywhere without it.

I was very, very close to ordering a long bed Vicmarc, but decided I just don't have the time to devote to the stand for it. I have a thing about using wood that I've milled for projets, and need several hours on a friend's equipment to do it right (a bunch of hard black locust). My jointer is only a 4" rockwell, and the HSS knives on my planer just can't handle the locust. Its plenty heavy, but it just can't cut it without some pretty good tearout. A friend has a 24" Extrema with carbide knives, and a 12" bridgewood jointer. It would have been a week or more of work on a stand built to the heavy specs that I want and need, as well as some design issues about easy disassembly. I figured it would've weighed at least 400-500 lbs assembled, if not a lot more. I like things to be overbuilt. Well, the Vicmarc VL300 is a much heavier duty lathe than the Powermatic, and used by many notable pros, but the 3520 is a GREAT lathe and the sliding headstock will make it do just about anything I need it to do right now, anyway. I will need to build a ballast box, but that is far less work than the stand would've been. I have a few salvaged 2x12's from a construction site dumpster which should suffice nicely.

In the meantime while I'm waiting (in a quiet, restrained, jumping up and down motion) for my new lathe, I'll be working on the footings for it--the shed I work in is just 2x6" joists--enough for the old riding lawn mower & a few tools, but now has no lawn mower, but a bandsaw, 12 cast iron planer, extended fence table saw, chop saw, lathe, small jointer, etc. And a whole lot of unturned blanks! I bought 800 lbs of concrete, and will likely buy a bit more before all is said and done. I have to rip up a couple pieces of plywood and dig some footings, and probably rent a mixer! Call me a wimp, but mixing 10 bags by hand is not something I'm really excited about. I'm planning on a 3x5 foot slab, about 8" thick, with some poured in blocks under the legs to bring it up to the level of the 1" plywood floor. I may or may not bolt it down, depending on if it moves around at all. I have a hammer drill, so that should be easy enough. I'm likely going to use fiber reinforced concrete for the supports just under the lathe legs, just to give some extra protection, and to make sure I don't crack it with the drill. Anyone know what kind of rebar I should use or what pattern?? Thanks in advance.

Jeff Nicol
03-01-2009, 1:34 PM
Nathan, You will be amazed at what you can put the Mustard Monster through! I love mine and for the price it is hard to beat! On the Vicmarc I would have built a steel stand and enclosed it with wood later as time allowed. With a welder and a steel chopsaw a guy can get a lot done in a weekend, it does not hurt that I have 25 yrs of welding under my belt! SO have fun with your new lathe and keep us informed with all your experiences on it!

Go get em!!

Jeff

Nathan Hawkes
03-01-2009, 1:34 PM
Well, the thread title was originally "soon to be a mustard man", but I hit return in the middle of changing it. I was going to post something about do you know any good ditch diggers for my new lathe stand, but I hit the wrong key....

Seriously though, any thoughts on reinforcing my concrete slab, which to elaborate will probably be about 8-12" in depth, varying because the ground is sloped unevenly underneath the shed. I have been told that I'll probably need two layers of reinforcing, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Scott Conners
03-01-2009, 1:56 PM
I love the thread title, made me giggle when I read it!

For reinforcing, you can probably get away with 3/8" rebar, though I'd typically use 1/2". Rebar is all about tensile strength, I'd be running a grid with ~12" spacing. Personally I'd only run one layer, horizontal in the center of the thinnest part of the slab. Keep the rebar at least 2" from all edges, and tie the joints together with tie wire. Most guys use doubled up lengths of tie wire, just for ease of working (it's very easy to break a single strand when twisting tight). I'd put little tic tac toe grids horizontal inside each of the raised parts, and if you have leftover rebar run some vertical peices in between the upper foot pad grids and the lower slab grid. You can use tie wire to nails outside your form to hold it in place, and/or rocks underneath joints etc. Many companies use small blocks of concrete with tie wire embedded (made from leftovers at other pours) to hold the grid in the air for slabs, you can buy them but I've never seen the need. You do need some sort of securing mechanism, because the concrete will really slap it around. Let me know if I'm not making sense =)

alex carey
03-01-2009, 6:03 PM
I can't answer any questions but I can say CONGRATULATIONS. I bough tmy mustard a little over a month ago. So far it has done everything I've asked. Biggest piece so far is about 80#. I will certainly be testing it with some bigger stuff in the future.

Alex

Bernie Weishapl
03-01-2009, 6:41 PM
Nope don't know the mustard man.:eek::D:rolleyes::cool: Congrats on the lathe. Will be watching for pic's when it arrives.

Burt Alcantara
03-01-2009, 6:50 PM
Nathan,
You don't need to build a ballast box. Just lay some 2x or 4x material on the shelves and stack your favorite ballast on top. We've got a ton of pavers in the yard that I will soon put to good use as ballast. Trouble is, I can't stop turning long enough to lay the boards down!

Burt

Richard Madison
03-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Nathan,
Consider using some rock fill (maybe road base?) to reduce your slab thickness to 6". Rock=cheap, concrete=expensive. Beyond that, good advice from Scott, 1/2" bar on 12" centers (both directions of course) with every intersection tied.

First Concrete Man, then Mustard Man.

Nathan Hawkes
04-09-2009, 1:37 AM
Well, it took a little longer than I thought to get it, but its here, and put together!!! I'm waiting until the morning to turn the first piece. Its not going anywhere, and I tend to do dumb things when I'm rushing and getting overexcited....:rolleyes:
It ended up being 1500lbs of concrete instead of 800, and I mixed it by hand; I decided to pour it all the way to the floor of the shed. Assembly was much easier than I thought; after removing all the parts other than the bed, I was able to slide the pallet out of the truck bed and stand up the lathe bed on end by myself. I attatched one set of legs and positioned the other where I wanted it, and was able to pull up & rock the bed & legs and lower it down onto the other leg without issue. Probably not a very safe way to do it, but it went off without a hitch. The headstock was pretty heavy though.....(I only weigh about 165lbs)

Dewey Torres
04-09-2009, 2:13 AM
I know the midi mayo man:o

Steve Schlumpf
04-09-2009, 7:43 AM
Nathan - Congrats! Looking forward to the photos!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-09-2009, 8:53 AM
Congrats Nathan! May it serve you well! Be safe and have fun.