PDA

View Full Version : Fun Boat Project

Greg Johnson
03-01-2009, 1:16 PM
I am probably pushing the envelope a bit here posting a fiberglass boat restoration project, but a bunch of wood did actually go into it, so that's my disclaimer.;) Overall, this was one of the most fun projects I have ever done. We live in an area that is known for good salmon fishing. When we moved here 32 years ago, there were 4 active fishing resorts. Today there are none. When I found out the best know resort (Point No Point Resort) was going to close I went down and bought one of the old boats before they were gone. Unfortunately I had no time to work on it and just put it out in the woods to hopefully work on it someday. It sat there for about 12 years. When my old aluminum boat became unsafe, it was finally time to restore the old Point No Point boat. When my son heard I was going to do it, he got very excited about the project and came up every weekend to work on it with me. These old boats are very nostalgic to us and represent a great time in Puget Sound history. We wanted to preserve it to look as much as possible like they did originally and make it a bit safer. Long story short, this was absolutely a dream come true for me to have this quality time with my son working on this. Plus, the following summer we put a lot of salmon into the fish box. That was icing on the cake.

Just thought I would share. I have the story with pictures here:
http://www.skunkbayweather.com/PtNoPtBoat/

Greg

Myk Rian
03-01-2009, 1:24 PM
Really nice boat. With the weight, it must be stable.

Greg Johnson
03-01-2009, 5:22 PM
With the weight, it must be stable.

You noticed there was a bit of fiberglass went into that thing. When we started, my son and I could pick up the hull and move it around. By the time we had the seats and transom in, we tried to lift the stern and about got a hernia..... after that, we moved it with winches and our tractor. That made the decision about motor size very simple. I found that 1 year old Honda 30hp used (less than an hour of use) for exactly half the price of new. I was originally thinking a 20hp would be enough. The 30 is just right. The day we launched we tested it for stability by both of us sitting on the gunwhale and leaning out. No problem.....

Greg

Mac McQuinn
03-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Great job on your project! Looks like a real "user" That's what they're made for. Who is the manufacturer of this craft?

Mac

Greg Johnson
03-02-2009, 1:39 AM
Mac,
Thank you for your kind words. Actually, I am reluctant to show this project to a group of talented craftsman that are on this forum. Our catch phrase while we were working on it was.... "remember, it's just a fishing boat". :D

As far as the manufacturer, these boats were built from a mold that was taken from a P15. I really don't know much about the manufacturer. There were a lot of small boat builders in the Seattle area in the 60's. Point No Point Resort built about 35 of these boats at the resort with the help of a group of retired Seattle firefighters that were avid fisherman. I have very fond memories of fishing the Point with all those orange and green boats out there. Can you tell I get a little nostalgic about this? My boat is number 14 (the 14th boat built).

However, the biggest thing for me was the pleasure of sharing this project with my son. He had never shown any interest in tools (or work for that matter...;)) until I started this project. He was up every weekend and worked his butt off. This was a gift beyond my imagination. And then last summer on opening day he put the first fish in the fishbox..... a 21lb. king. This was like a dream. So, yes I am proud of the boat, but mostly I am so grateful to have had this quality time with my son. It is a beautiful thing when we can share our skills with our children. That's really why I shared this project.

Actually, my father and grandfather built some beautiful boats years ago. With the crude tools they had, their boats were masterpieces. Far more craftsmanship that we put into this little boat. My grandfather built a 35 foot launch while in high school which he ran in the mosquito fleet in Puget Sound to help him through college. He graduated from the University of Washington School of Engineering in 1915 with the funds he earned from this boat. He went on the be head Naval Engineer at Bremerton Navy shipyard during WWII. Here is a picture of his boat. HE was a craftsman:
http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com/Rhodagracesmall.jpg

Greg

Greg Johnson
03-02-2009, 11:55 AM
After posting the picture last night of my grandfather's boat, I found these old pics of the boat my father built between 1938 and 1940. I still marvel at these boats being built entirely with hand tools. I can't remember the last time I drove a screw without a screw gun.:o All the deck hardware for this boat was made by wood mockups that were then cast in bronze, hand buffed and polished and then chrome plated..... Nothing was easy back then. This boat was written up in the Seattle Times as being one of the fastest on Lake Washington at the time. It was a Garwood design that he got from Rudder magazine.
http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com/SecondMissTake1.jpg
http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com/SecondMissTake2.jpg
http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com/SecondMissTake3.jpg
http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com/SecondMissTake4.jpg

Greg

Mac McQuinn
03-02-2009, 6:07 PM
Greg,

Looks like good looking boats are part of your family's lineage.
The more I talk to the older guys out there, the more i'm impressed. They were true craftsmen. I sometimes think we have it far too easy with all the technology available to us. These guys were forced to improvise and because of this they were very creative with their designs and craftsmanship.

Your boat would make a great camp cruiser w/ very few modifications, island hopping and such, fishing along the way with some camping thrown in.

Enjoy it,

Mac

Dave Ray
03-02-2009, 8:14 PM
Greg, great complete rebuild job here. The picture history made my night, the story of the rebuild with you and your son is inspiring. Thank you for sharing with us. Pictures of your fathers boats tell us boat building/repair is in the genes.

Greg Johnson
03-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Mac and Dave,
Thank you for your kind words. Boat building was a big part of my heritage and growing up. Unfortunately, it is becoming a lost art. They worked with wood that we can only dream of. They relied on ingenuity rather than technology. Times are changing and it is fun to get a little nostalgic from time to time. At the same time, I like to reflect on what my Grandfather and Father taught me. Unfortunately a little is lost every generation and that is why I was so thrilled my son took interest in this project. He even expressed an interest in getting the original mold (which we could get for free) and build a few more boats. We can always dream..... It's that money and time thing that always gets in the way...:rolleyes:

Greg

Herbert Wallace
03-03-2009, 9:27 AM
Greg, How about reserecting some of those hidden genetic talents and build a replica of the "2nd miss-take" . Now that would be a nice bonding project. Or not:confused: Nice rebuild.

Greg Johnson
03-03-2009, 9:50 PM
Herbert,
There are two things that I have regretted in my life.... (well... maybe more :rolleyes:). One was selling my '65 red Mustang GT Convertible that was in showroom condition in 1972 for $900. Oh I wish I had that car back. The other was selling the boat my Dad built. I have partially restored it while I was in high school and sold it before I went to college. I needed the money and there was no way I was going to have time to work on it. Ohhh... if I could only do it all over again.

Oh... and as far as rebuilding a replica of the 2nd Miss Take.... nice idea... we'll think about it.... uhmmm.... No. That would probably be enough to tip over my better half :D. I spend enough time in the shop as it is.

Greg

Phillip Bogle
03-10-2009, 12:11 AM
I live in boat country as well. Sixteen minutes south of Cannon Beach for those of you who have been here.

I noticed that most of you have an appreciation for the craftsmanship that the older guys have for their work. I concur to a point. Yes they knew their wood and all that. Yes they knew how to set a plane, work the strokes, cut the joints. BUT! They had decent wood to work with. I have had some old growth wood, clear cedar, spruce, and fir. There is no comparison between what we have now and what they had then. My grandfather would have used our wood to heat the shop. I have a couple of pieces that granddad made from a Pacific Yew log. The log was 4' across the butt and the boss was going to burn it. Yew was a trash log then. Granddad had a friend slab and sticker the entire log, except for some turning chunks. Nowadays it is illegal to cut Pacific Yew and old growth cutting is close to child molester is some circles. Anyway, the wood of then is a beauty beyond compare.

Don't knock your work. You have adapted to what materials you have.

Greg Johnson
03-10-2009, 8:43 AM
Phillip,
I couldn't agree with you more about the quality of the wood today. I built my home about 30 years ago. Back then, I thought the wood I was getting was pretty bad, compared to what I was used to. Today I am "deconstructing" portions of my home in the process of a remodel. Not only am I cursing the guy who built it for using so many nails....:p, but I am amazed at how strong the wood that I thought was junk 30 years ago is. The wood I am replacing it with is softer, less stable and nowhere near the quality. There is no comparison to old growth versus 2nd, 3rd and 4th growth lumber. I agree, that is one of the main reasons they were able to create such beautiful projects.

However, maybe this is just me.... but I think there is a generational difference when it comes to creativity and ingenuity. Back then, they had no choice. They couldn't buy solutions. Quick story... My grandfather was building a 42 foot Coast Guard approved for ocean charter yacht when he died at the age of 76. He designed and built everything himself. When he was looking for hydraulic controls (3 pilot stations), he really didn't like what he saw.... So, his solution was to just build them himself. That's what he did. The Coast Guard inspector just about tipped over when he tested the controls. They were better than any product he had seen.

So, maybe my point here is that in our consumer driven economy (and I am not saying that is a bad thing)... the vast array of products that are available today get in the way of forcing us to tap into our own creativity and ingenuity. It's just much simpler to buy it.

Just an observation, not good or bad, but it is a reality of today I believe.

Greg

Phillip Bogle
03-10-2009, 10:42 AM
I have to agree with you on that one. Our system, schools, government have bred the independence right out of us. I was in social service for several years. Nothing would irritate me more than watching people with the tools and means to get out, sit back and do nothing. If you tell kids "you can't do that" or "the law does not allow that" and other similar responses, than sooner or later you get folks that never consider options. Too many years of impossibility answers or solutions generate impossibility thinking.

I love it when I see father son projects, and kids as members of the Creek. I realize then that there will be hope. Greatly outnumbered, but hope none the less. As I think about it, I realize that dads spending time with their sons may have been one of the more crucial elements. I was a cub master, scout master, and very involved with my sons and their goals. One has a successful sign and graphic design company the other is a doctor/missionary in the jungle. I not only cherish the time we spent and the memories, but also the pride of their accomplishments and know I did my part. I'll bet that your great grandfather had a big impact on the kind of man your grandfather became. So on, and on down the line. I think it is sad that many of the younger set think a dad isn't important to a son.
Sorry for running on ....

Art Beisang
03-10-2009, 5:45 PM
Lots of work went into it. I happen to think the time spent with a son (at any age) is good time spent.
By the way, Your mustang comment reminded me of my 65 convertible Sold for $200 shortly after I was married, I'd like to have that back.

Justin Green
03-11-2009, 3:47 PM
"2nd Miss Take"

I love it! Wonder what the 1st was?

Greg Johnson
03-11-2009, 5:53 PM
Wonder what the 1st was?

A sailboat he built when he was 13.....:). Those old swedes had a pretty good sense humor. Actually I have the mast from that sailboat as a flagpole in my front yard. Beautiful clear spruce, almost 75 years old now and still straight and strong.

http://www.skunkbayweather.com/FlagStorm.JPG

When I was growing up, we had a small Chris Craft cabin cruiser that was named "Happy Hours"..... and the dinghy was named "Anxious Moments"....:)

Greg

Johnny Ramon
05-14-2009, 2:38 PM
Greg,

I really enjoyed the "photo essay" on the boat restoration. That dog seemed to really change his/her attitude once he got to go for a ride :).

I am doing some on the job training in glass work building my first kayak. last time I did fiberglass work I was 12 building a skateboard. Good thing I have friends that are surfboard builders.

Boat looks great and has enough wood to qualify on a woodworker forum for sure!

July and a jacket and gloves!!?? That's messed up:)

Angus Hines
05-14-2009, 3:57 PM
WOW that was a fun read. Love all the old history you brought with it.

Greg Johnson
05-14-2009, 11:13 PM
Angus,
Thank you for the kind words.

Johnny,
There was a LOT of on the job training for us with this project. Our mantra was.... "Remember, this is only a fishing boat." It's probably a good thing that I don't have a good camera...:D As far as our dog, we had to put him down last June. He was a great boat dog. He insisted to go any time he heard somebody was going out in the boat. My son and I were just reflecting on the time he was with us and we got into a pretty nasty blow. It was a very wet and bumpy ride. He propped himself up with his front paws on the fish box and was just getting soaked. He kept looking around at us to make sure everything was ok and then his expression would change. It was like he was reassured when he saw us with a smile on our faces and then he got this look like "Boy, am I gonna have a good story when we get in.....". When we got in, he really did look a like he was proud of his accomplishment. We do miss him.

July and a jacket and gloves!!?? That's messed up:)

Oh and to set the record straight, I have the captions above the photos. The jacket and gloves were in November. The picture below is for July when my son is holding up his king. He is in short sleeves. We don't wear jackets and gloves in July..... sometimes :o.

Greg

randall rosenthal
05-15-2009, 10:17 PM
i really really enjoyed this thread. good on you.

BTW...ive been restoring an old glass sport fish for the last ten years....it has some wood on it now too.

Greg Johnson
05-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Thanks Randall. I hope you will share pics of your project.

Greg

Joe Little
06-15-2009, 4:49 PM
WOW, very cool

Greg Johnson
06-16-2009, 11:51 PM
Joe,
Thank you for your kind response. Coincidentally, my son is coming up for Father's Day weekend and we are going to do some mods to the boat. We are going to fair out the bottom where we had a bit of buildup when replacing the transom. This created a trim problem that we can easily solve (with more glass and weight :o). Plus we are going to put on some bottom paint. I am just looking forward to the time together. He claims to make the best martini known to man..... and I'm not gonna argue with him :). We also look forward to watching old Mash episodes from the complete set that he gave me a while back. We call it Mash & Martinis.... I'm looking forward to a great weekend :). We are going to work our butts off.... but the time together is priceless!

Greg

Peter Benders
08-21-2009, 9:29 PM
hey very nice man. it was very fun and innovative to read the article. keep posting articles like this. it will educate people like me. thank you very much

theo arno
01-11-2010, 3:25 PM
That was a good one. Thanks for the post.
Theo