PDA

View Full Version : Snow Showers Tonight

Belinda Barfield
03-01-2009, 9:26 AM
Wonders never cease. Our forecast for tonight is rain mixed with snow showers. Maybe I can gather enough flakes to build an ice cube. :D

Jack Dickey
03-01-2009, 9:37 AM
yep heading your way , started here abt four hours ago ..

jerry nazard
03-01-2009, 9:58 AM
Belinda,

Similar forecast for us north of you in Richmond. We have not had a real snow here in years.

A word, if I may, on the other topic. I have some of the tools we were discussing, and have had a concealed carry permit for around 35 years. There was a thread over in FWW Knots the other day that got sidetracked onto the subject. One member posted the following:

I hope that I do not ruffle any feathers by sharing that. Not my intent. I do hope that you enjoy creating your snowstorm ice cube!

Best!

-Jerry

Joe Pelonio
03-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Ha! Here where we have had far more snow than normal, it's raining but at 7am is 44 and supposed to hit 60 today.:p

Belinda Barfield
03-01-2009, 10:09 AM
One of the reasons I wanted to let you all know Joe. I always kid you guys who have to deal with the white stuff, so turnabout is fair play. We definitely won't have enough to cause any problems. I'm waiting for Ken to chime in. :)

Belinda Barfield
03-01-2009, 10:14 AM
I hope that I do not ruffle any feathers by sharing that. Not my intent. I do hope that you enjoy creating your snowstorm ice cube!

-Jerry

Whoa Nellie! Jerry the heat off them there ruffled feathers may be just enough to blow that little bit of snow back up north. Let's not do anything to endanger my ice cube building. ;):)

David G Baker
03-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Belinda,
Great response!

Colin Giersberg
03-01-2009, 2:12 PM
Areas just to our north had upwards of 7 - 8" of this strange, but unique soft powdery white stuff. I wonder what it is? Oh, now I remember, SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fifteen miles west of us, there are 5" on the ground. Where I live, 2" at best. As much as I love to see it snow (I love to see it lay there too, I just don't want anyone to walk, or drive in it.I love to see it in its freshly fallen state), we just can't seem to get enough to please me. Aaarrrggghhh.

Disgusted with the little snow we got,
Colin

Oh yeah. Most of it has already melted, except in the shade.

Jack Dickey
03-01-2009, 2:27 PM
Shoot two snows in 14 months , unheard of , not a lot either time

pic from last year and one from this morning

appears we got more this time around

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/GroovyJack/snow1.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/GroovyJack/snow11.jpg

Tyler Howell
03-01-2009, 2:35 PM
Get enough snow, you can have friends drop bye.
We've had over 48" and March is the snowiest month.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=190868&id=1451538260&ref=mf

Jack Dickey
03-01-2009, 4:35 PM
What I want 'em to drop by for ??

Dave Anderson NH
03-01-2009, 8:08 PM
Hey Belinda, If you want some more fun, come on up our way. We got the appetizer of a couple of fresh inches this noon and through the night and by late tomorrow we are due for another 15". We need the snow here, the snowbanks on the sides of the road were getting too small and worse yet they were getting really dirty. Not only that, but there were a couple of places in my front yard where there was actually green showing through, horror of horrors. :D We've had about 65-70 inches officially this winter, but my estimate is actually about 15-20 inches higher for our part of the state. Inany event, you're welcome to come on up and enjoy the automobile slalom or the sidewalks skiing.

Jason Roehl
03-01-2009, 8:23 PM
Send it our way, I don't mind! This year has been somewhat disappointing. If it's going to be cold, there may as well be snow. Plus, this year, a friend of mine who owns a landscaping company needed another plow driver, so I figured it could fill in some holes in my work schedule in the winter slow months. It doesn't pay much, but I'm driving a '91 International single-axle dump truck with a 7'6" (I think) V-plow and a salt spreader in the back. I've been out 3 times. The first time we spread a little salt, and I got 4 hours on the clock. The next two times I was out and about for 16+ hours straight, and 20ish hours (that time was 6" of WET, HEAVY snow, and I had only slept about 2 hours before plowing after working a full day in my real job). Fun, but a little rough--that cab has zero sound insulation from the 7.3L diesel, and even has a few harmonic frequencies. The second long day out I wised up and took earplugs along...they helped for about 16 hours, until I couldn't stand having them in my ears any more. It doesn't pay a lot, but it's kind of fun plowing parking lots at night in the snow!

Jim Becker
03-01-2009, 9:22 PM
I'm so not looking forward to the potential of my girls either having a late school opening or no school tomorrow. Monday is my busiest work day relative to meetings and Professor Dr SWMBO is flying to the left-coast for a couple days of meetings. I did see some kewel pictures on FaceBook from a friend of mine who lives south of Atlanta...their house looked almost like a Christmas card today! LOL

Don Abele
03-01-2009, 9:47 PM
Well, we're not getting any snow over here, but here's a shot of the types of freak storms that we get.

This was taken at about 7:30 in the morning a couple of weeks ago when the "middle eastern snow" began to swirl around.

Yes, that's sand blowing around. It got worse than this about 15 minutes later and we were all inside bundled up. Visibility dropped to near zero. Amazing the places that sand blowing at 30 mph can get in to. Takes days to clean it all up.

Enjoy the snow (I'm envious)...

Be well,

Doc

Mark Norman
03-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Thanks for your service.

Martin Shupe
03-02-2009, 4:52 AM
Stay safe and keep your head down, Doc.

Bob Childress
03-02-2009, 7:21 AM
Got 4" of white stuff last night here in the Upstate. Pretty rare. No woodworking today. :mad:

Belinda Barfield
03-02-2009, 8:35 AM
Yes, that's sand blowing around. It got worse than this about 15 minutes later and we were all inside bundled up. Visibility dropped to near zero. Amazing the places that sand blowing at 30 mph can get in to. Takes days to clean it all up.

Enjoy the snow (I'm envious)...

Be well,

Doc

Well, we didn't get any snow Doc. You stay safe out there and remember, don't build a sandman . . . he'll just make you sleepy. ;)
Thanks for all you do!

Got 4" of white stuff last night here in the Upstate. Pretty rare. No woodworking today. :mad:

Bob, I'll be up in your area in April at Caesar's Head State Park. I really like the Greenville area, and considered moving there about 12 years ago.

Don Abele
03-02-2009, 9:25 PM
Well, we didn't get any snow Doc. You stay safe out there and remember, don't build a sandman . . . he'll just make you sleepy. ;)
Thanks for all you do!

Belinda...thank you for the chuckle. Sometimes it tough to find things to laugh about over here. I really needed that. I'll be sure to pass it along when the opportunity presents itself. Thanks again.

Be well,

Doc