PDA

View Full Version : my first paying job

fred sanchez
03-01-2009, 12:33 AM
well been on here for a wile soaking in all the info and want say thanks for a the great threads people have poster iv learned all lot .

here are two pictures of award Plaques i just made for warner bros studios for some up coming movie there doing .
being my first paying job it was very stressful but i think they came out really good for my first time .

please let me know if there's anything you see that i did wrong or how i might be able to improve in it

sorry for the picture took them with my iphone they looks alot cleaner in person

Ramon Carrizosa
03-01-2009, 2:53 AM
good job, but the period should probably closer to the J. J. vs J .

Mitchell Andrus
03-01-2009, 9:39 AM
Nice job.

Plaque.

Dee Gallo
03-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Hi Fred,

Congratulations on your first paying job! And a pretty darn good one too, Hollywood? Great place to start. I love the style of the award, it's really eye catching. I also like the little flourish, it adds variety, but not too much.

As far as your layout goes, I would recommend you make the words "Presented to" smaller and don't capitalize Presented. These words are not as important as the names and titles, so this is a good place to use a lighter weight type. I would maybe have done something like this:
- presented to -
maybe in a simple script or italicized font 1/2 the size of the name underneath. It would make better use of your negative space and emphasize the name and title.

And yeah, move that period over to the letter.

just my 2 cents, dee

Steven Wallace
03-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Another nice touch, though not totally necessary, would have been to add a Warner Bros. logo on the piece or the title of the movie that they had worked on. This way when displayed the person looking at them know by whom or for what they were being recognized without having to be told and it validates the award. I like the shape and it's uniqueness.

Margaret Turco
03-01-2009, 1:12 PM
Congratulations on your first order Fred! It's exciting, isn't it? Hopefully you will get more orders soon and you can refine your design skills with experience.

fred sanchez
03-01-2009, 1:12 PM
thanks everyone for your input all pionts well taken

im in los angeles steven and work in the movie biz.
thease Plaques will be movie props to be used in up coming movies or TV shows so the warner bros logo wouldnt work on thease steven but i understand what u mean yeah that would look nice.

ok i have 5 more Plaques to go

wish me luck

Don Necaise
03-02-2009, 9:00 PM
Fred
Where did you order your awards blanks from? If I may ask? I like to see change in the shop Thanks

fred sanchez
03-03-2009, 12:41 AM
don i used JDS industries

Ray Uebner
03-04-2009, 4:23 AM
Go job Fred. Looks great and you will get better with time. If it is just a prop then no one will notice the period. I see in the background a Laserbuzz car. Do you also do his items?

Frank Corker
03-04-2009, 1:32 PM
Nice job Fred.

Daniel Muller
03-04-2009, 1:43 PM
fred nice work! can you post pics of the stuff behind the plaques. i would like to see that too.

fred sanchez
03-04-2009, 10:19 PM
here you you asked to see what was behind :D

fred sanchez
03-04-2009, 11:42 PM
another one i just engraved fo a tv show came out nice i must say.

and who ever came up with the idea of using dishwashing soap on glass

2 thumbs up man it really helps

thanks everyone for your posts :)

Ray Uebner
03-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Looks great. You are doing a lot of nice things keep it up.

Dave Johnson29
03-05-2009, 11:41 AM
here you you asked to see what was behind

Very cool Uzi Fred. :)

Marc Myer
03-05-2009, 1:12 PM
Hey, that's an interesting gun--is that your own design?

fred sanchez
03-05-2009, 9:45 PM
no marc the uzi is from laser buzz i just used clear acrylic instead of wood.
if you search the file should be on here ill see if i can find it .

Bill Cunningham
03-05-2009, 10:59 PM
It's right here...
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=854275&postcount=11

fred sanchez
03-05-2009, 11:21 PM
there u go bill found it :D
The same TV show asked me to make them some magnetic skins for one of there picture cars
I was thinking I could cut it with my laser but it made to much of a mess and didn't cut clean so I just used a blade.
they came out pretty nice funny thing I have no freakn idea what to charge. i guess ill post this in the sign fourm as well

Leigh Costello
03-06-2009, 1:48 AM
Nice collection, Fred! Love the plaques. Now I will have to watch movies twice to see if there are other lasered props in the background!

Ray Uebner
03-06-2009, 9:10 AM
Sign look good. How big is it. The signs on my truck are 12 x 20 and I paid about 100 each for them. They have a lot more graphics on them than yours but would guess you could get about the same price.

Bill Cunningham
03-10-2009, 7:53 PM
there u go bill found it :D
The same TV show asked me to make them some magnetic skins for one of there picture cars
I was thinking I could cut it with my laser but it made to much of a mess and didn't cut clean so I just used a blade.
they came out pretty nice funny thing I have no freakn idea what to charge. i guess ill post this in the sign fourm as well

Ha.. Love the sign.. I used to wear a button when teaching my explosives classes.. "If you see me running, try to keep up"!