PDA

View Full Version : My First Jr. Gent

michael gallagher
02-28-2009, 11:37 PM
I decided to try something new, and gasp - considering I am a pick up the penny accountant - I went and bought one of the more expensive Jr. Gentleman's pen kits; it was time to move beyond what seems like the couple of hundred slimlines, Sierra's, and cigars.

The kit was a lot of fun, and the weight balances just right in a man's hand. I got the blank from a turner on another website. If you haven't tried a Jr. Gent before, go get one and give it a shot.

As usual, the pictures stink. I hope the pen doesn't!

David Walser
02-28-2009, 11:50 PM
I like the pen -- a lot! The blank is something special, too. Is it made from wood, plastic, or both?

I, too, really like the Jr Gent II pen kits. They're easy to make and have a high class look.

Bernie Weishapl
02-28-2009, 11:54 PM
The pen is a beauty Michael. Well done.

Alan Trout
03-01-2009, 10:04 AM
I know where michael got that blank. Those are made by a friend of mine Eugene Soto. He sells those over at the IAP classified section. He is a great guy and cast pretty neat stuff. From time to time I even rip off his ideas and cast a few for myself. These castings are mixuture of resin and wood both. I have a cast a few myself. I recently did some Cross pens for my sons Catholic School for a benefit auction in their school colors. They are a lot of work to do them, and what eugene sells them for is well worth the price.

Alan

And Michael that is a great job!! Beautiful pen.

michael gallagher
03-02-2009, 9:17 AM
David and Bernie, thanks. David, the blank is a mixture of wood and aluminite - the creator of the blank has way too much time on her hands. I got it through swapping some mesquite with the creator of the blank. It turned pretty smooth. The segments were a little weak and may not have bonded too well with the aluminite as I did have a problem with one of the segments blowing out just as I was about 99% finished; it wasn't anything that couldn't be fixed with CA glue and the sawdust shavings from taking the blank down.

Alan, thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences but I did not get the blank from Eugene at the IAP. Thanks also for the P.S. at the end of your message about my pen.

robert hainstock
03-02-2009, 2:58 PM
Micheal, I have made both pens, and prefer the Jr II because the cap will fasten to the body while in use. It seems much handier, and customers see to prefer them that way.
Very nice lob with that one though. :)
Bob

michael gallagher
03-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Micheal, I have made both pens, and prefer the Jr II because the cap will fasten to the body while in use. It seems much handier, and customers see to prefer them that way.
Very nice lob with that one though. :)
Bob

Bob - after trying the Jr Gent a t work today, it writes nice, but I was feeling it does need more weight / heft at the top, so I'll take your advice (it looks like I'm going to order some Jr. II. I really am getting overwhelmed with pen kits, so I guess I had better get to turning!

David Walser
03-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Bob - after trying the Jr Gent a t work today, it writes nice, but I was feeling it does need more weight / heft at the top, so I'll take your advice (it looks like I'm going to order some Jr. II. I really am getting overwhelmed with pen kits, so I guess I had better get to turning!Craft Supplies sells two different versions of the Jr Gent II. One -- the "Postable Cap" version -- allows you to screw the cap onto the end of the pen and the other does not. Craft Supplies no longer makes or sells the original Jr Gent. The Jr Gent II replaced the Jr Gent in CSUSA's line up. (Supposedly, the Jr. Gent II improved the cap threads. This version of the pen uses 12.5mm and 10.5mm tubes. The orginal uses different, slightly smaller, tubes.)