PDA

View Full Version : Mission Entertainment Console - First Project

Bill Scales
02-28-2009, 11:32 PM
I've been working on this design for a while now and was wanting some feedback before I get started.

The design process has been a project in itself. Learning SketchUp took a while, but I think you'll get pretty good idea on what I am trying to do.
The design is based off some furniture I already have, the curved bottom rail and a composite of similar consoles.

The top drawer front is meant to be false front for a center speaker.

I also made the bottom drawer shorter so I could put a power strip shelf for the electronics.

This will be my first real project so most of the joinery will be new to me. So please give your thougts on what you think so far. I hope to get started in the next few weeks.

Frank Hagan
03-01-2009, 1:10 AM
I like the design! It looks well proportioned, which is important in mission furniture because otherwise it can look too heavy.

One thing you might want to think about is the cooling air needed for the electronics. Speakers aren't much of a problem, but an AV receiver, DVR or stereo amp can throw off as much heat as a 100w lightbulb (or more!). Many of the electronics are "never off" (such as your DVR), and throw off heat all the time.

An open front grill design would work, or plan on large openings in the bottom, with slots in the shelves, and large holes or slot across the back to give some convection air. Its easier to think of this before you build it ... I have to keep one door of my current cabinet open most of the time.

John Keeton
03-01-2009, 6:53 AM
Bill, I really like the concept. Probably the only thought I would offer is that there seems to be conflict with the three different vertical divisions of space. The end panels are divided once, the drawers three times, and the gridwork three times, but in different proportions.

I know you want to keep the grid pattern as that is what makes the design work. What would it look like if you divided the end panels into thirds consistent with the drawers - or not divide them at all? Maybe that would reduce the busyness. Just a thought, but as I said, I like the overall dimensions and concept.

Bill Scales
03-01-2009, 9:16 AM
I have considered the heat issue, but I did not include them in the design so far. I probably will include vents in the shelfs and in the back panel. I have also considered making a sliding panel behind the electronics to help with the various connections.

Bill Scales
03-01-2009, 9:19 AM
Thanks, John. That makes sense. I'll play with that and see how it looks.

Bill Scales
03-01-2009, 3:45 PM
Here's an updated version with some changes. I put in the three side panels and some air circulation vents. I haven't tried just a single panel yet, but I might.

I am also curious about any structural concerns. Do you see any issues with supporting a flat screen TV and a couple of Polk speakers?

Mark Valsi
03-01-2009, 4:18 PM
I would drop a hint !!

Leave the back end very very accesible !!!! you will be in and out of there making all kinds of hookups and unhookups as you change your system. Give yourself plenty of room to work. You might think of mounting the piece on casters so that you can get to the back easily.

Bill Scales
06-02-2012, 2:45 PM
Sorry it took so long but I had to teach myself several techniques before I started. Then when I was about finished, I moved to Colorado, sans workshop. Hope you like it.