PDA

View Full Version : Best Router (or lift) for G1023SLWX

Kevin Downs
02-28-2009, 11:25 PM
I just received my Grizzly G1023SLWX and need your opinions. What would be the best router and or lift for this table? The opening is only 10in wide.

What are my options for a lift? Are there any above table options for this table?

For now I have my Delta fixed base mounted under the table. I can pop the router in and out of the base VERY quickly and I still have the DBase and plunge available. The issue here is that the height adjustments are not as convenient.

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks

Kevin

John Keeton
03-01-2009, 7:48 AM
Kevin, I used the Freud 3000 under my 1023, and added a miter track by attaching a piece of oak to the end of the extension wing. The oak had been grooved for the metal track. I still need to remove some material from the rails with a grinder. I believe it will work fine. You really don't need that much clearance to run narrow stock or a coping sled across the bit.

This is the link to where I installed the Freud http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=90392

I thought I had posted a pic of the added miter track, but can't seem to find it. I just drilled holes in the face of the extension and through bolted the oak.

Jim O'Dell
03-01-2009, 9:40 AM
Kevin, I don't think you'll find a lift to fit this unless Grizzly makes one. From looking at it, I'd bet it was made to work with a plunge router and possibly has provisions for above the table adjustments via a hole you stick a tool through to do the adjustments. At least the pictures in John's link appears to be holes for that purpose. John, or others, can you confirm this?
I seem to remember a lift that someone talked about that was round, but I don't remember what brand it was. All the current top brands are rectangular and require a 3/8" recess for the lift to sit in.
Congrats on the new saw! From all indications I read on the forums, you're going to love it!! Jim.

John Keeton
03-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Jim, I believe you are correct. I drilled the access holes for the Freud, and although I have not researched the subject of lifts to any extent, seems all that I have seen have integral rectangular inserts that would require a milled drop in shelf. I believe Kevin will need to use a router with above the table adjustments to achieve what he is wanting to do.

There are other routers out there, and some SMC threads on the subject, but the Freud has been very satisfactory for me. The adjustments are simple and take only one wrench as it has a shaft lock.