PDA

View Full Version : Jet Cabinet Saw opinions sought.

Dell Moore
02-28-2009, 8:21 PM
Hello folks,

Stumbled across a potential tablesaw option, and wanted to know if anyone what people option on the Jet #JTAS-10XL-1 Cabinet Saw was.

Any owners out there?

Thank you in advance,

Dell

Clint Schlosser
02-28-2009, 8:32 PM
At the cost you might be better with the new Powermatic (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BWY78I?tag=demechman-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B000BWY78I&adid=0GJGGH23R59HKZSVVN69&). The Jet (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DJEBE8?tag=demechman-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B001DJEBE8&adid=1MPB80Y60TBDZHWZAN7J&) is just a cousin from the same company. I looked at the specifications of the Jet and it did not mention a Riving knife.

Jacob Mac
02-28-2009, 10:10 PM
I have a JTAS-10XL-1, with a 52" fence, single phase 230 volt 3hp. I bought it used from a fellow creeker, and I really like it. I am waiting for a shark guard, and then it will be pretty close to an ideal setup for me.

Just about every cabinet saw is really nice, but if you can get a good deal on the Jet I doubt you would regret the purchase.

Tom Veatch
02-28-2009, 10:41 PM
I also own that model saw, 3HP with the long rails, bought new appx. 7 years ago. It's the only cabinet saw I've owned, replacing an old 70's vintage Craftsman contractor style. I can't give you any comparisons to other cabinet saws, but I can say power, stability, and accuracy of the saw has never disappointed me. The only mechanical failure I've had was in the blade height locking mechanism. Simple and easy to repair.

The only things I'd change about the saw is a riving knife instead of the splitter and a better shroud around the blade to improve dust collection. But, I'm talking about a 7 yr old saw. I don't know what changes might have been made in the newer versions.

keith ouellette
02-28-2009, 10:55 PM
That is the one i own. It was my only equipment purchase that I have absolutely no regrets about. I only just started using the riving knife and guard ( after a slight finger accident) and they are actually quite good.

The table is very flat. The fence has stayed straight. I do not have any complex measuring equipment (to measure to the thousanth of an inch) but its blade is very parallel with the miter slot.

I heard this thing about being able to start a powermatic while keeping a nickel balanced on the table and my jet can do that.

When I bought my jet from the woodcraft store I could see no great difference between it and the powermatic and the as. manager of the store couldn't tell me any reason to spend the extra money on the PM.

2 years ago jet was great. I don't think it has changed.

Danny Thompson
02-28-2009, 11:16 PM
I have the JTAS-10XL-1 and love it. Only problem is I can't seem to find a ZCI to fit it.

For reference, I paid $800 for mine with an extension table and mobile base and no splitter or blade guard. This price is a little high for some parts of the country, but around here is about as good as you can get. (e.g., a Powermatic contractor saw is currently on the Memphis CL for $875!!).

I am looking for a deal on an overarm guard or will get a shark guard.

Tom Veatch
03-01-2009, 1:17 AM
Not trying to hijack the thread, and the OP might find it useful if the Jet saw winds up in his shop.

Danny, I made my own ZCI. Don't know if your's is identical to mine or not - details could change from year to year - but I found a laminate of 2 pieces of 1/4" hardboard and a piece of formica was a near perfect thickness match and a flush trim or pattern follower router bit took care of the outline. Not a lot of trouble and a lot less expensive than commercially available inserts.

I also made an insert from UHMW PE with replacable inserts for various blade widths and angles. More info here:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=60099

J. Greg Jones
03-01-2009, 6:25 AM
I have the JTAS-10XL-1 and love it. Only problem is I can't seem to find a ZCI to fit it.

The Leecraft JT-2L is the ZCI that you want if you are looking to buy rather than make your own. Note that all the pictures I have seen online of the JT-2L do not show that it has a finger-pull hole. Actually it does, so you don't need to drill one.

Making your own can be fun too, and costs much less!

http://homepage.mac.com/jgregjones/.Pictures/Shop/Saw/ZCI.jpg

J. Greg Jones
03-01-2009, 6:29 AM
I totally forgot to reply to the OP's question in my post above. I've owned the Jet for almost 2 years now and I could not be happier with it. I never mounted the original fence as I went with the Incra instead, but the OEM fence looked fine to me. I also never installed the stock guard/splitter as I went with the Shark Guard. No regrets at all with this saw.

Dave Falkenstein
03-01-2009, 9:13 AM
I have a Jet JTAS-10XL. Not sure what the "-1" means, but I'd bet it is the same saw. I bought mine new over 10 years ago. I have had no problems. The fence had a welding error, and Jet sent me a new one. I added a Biesemeyer splitter and Excalubur overarm guard and use a Forrest Woodworker II blade most of the time. This saw has been trouble-free, accurate and reliable for many years. I set it up once using a TS-Aligner Jr., and each time I check it nothing has changed.

Jim Kountz
03-01-2009, 9:15 AM
I have that saw and love it. Like others have said its one tool you wont regret.

Dell Moore
03-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks guys, I think I'll try and go see this saw tonight.

Dell

Jim Becker
03-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Before buying my Minimax slider, I was the proud owner of the Jet LT cabinet saw for many years. Great machine.

Tom Veatch
03-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Dave, the "-1" indicates the saw is the 3HP, 240v Single Phase version. I believe the other motor options are "-5/1" = 5HP Single Phase and "-3" = 5HP 230/460 Three Phase

Steve Rozmiarek
03-01-2009, 12:44 PM
I have a JTAS-10XL-1, with a 52" fence, single phase 230 volt 3hp. I bought it used from a fellow creeker, and I really like it. I am waiting for a shark guard, and then it will be pretty close to an ideal setup for me.

Just about every cabinet saw is really nice, but if you can get a good deal on the Jet I doubt you would regret the purchase.

Glad you like the saw! When I had it, I always thought that the Shark Guard would be a great addition, and would adress the only real weakness of the machine.

These Jets are good solid saws, that will smoothly and effortlessly do everything that a cabinet saw should do.

Derek Arita
03-01-2009, 3:03 PM
I'll add my vote of yes to the list. I had that saw for 3 years before I upgraded. Since then I've had 2 PM66s and a PM2000. I still think that was the most accurate out of the crate and likely the best saw I ever had. Table was super flat and never had to be tweeked. Cuts were clean at all depths. The fence I had was flat, 90 and once adjusted, never had to be adjusted again. Maybe the saw wasn't as heavy duty as the rest, but I'm sure it would have outlived me, at the very least.