PDA

View Full Version : moulder gloat

J.R. Rutter
02-28-2009, 6:33 PM
The latest addition to my shop is installed and making a huge impact on our S4S process. The Compact 23 is no longer made, but had a long run for SCM. This one is a 2001 model, so it matches the color scheme of my shapers and sander! It has 6000 rpm, 40 mm spindles. The capacity is 230 mm wide (9-1/16") x 125 mm (4-7/8") tall. The feed speed is variable. The infeed jointing/straightening table is 2 m (78") long. I went with this one after a deal on a 4 head Weinig Quattromat fell through last fall. This 5-head SCM can squeak by on a 100A circuit because the side heads share a motor. I think that long term, the 5th head (second bottom) on this machine will be a benefit: I'm running some casing next week and using it for the back relief cut.

So it took quite a bit of preparation to get ready. New electrical circuit, reconfigured/new 10" branch on the dust collector, rearrange/remove equipment, work out tooling, etc. Just getting it off the truck was a process because it was centered on the bed and our forklift has short forks. It was "teetery" and nerve wracking, but worked out in the end. It weighs over 4,000 lbs...

It does not work miracles for flattening/straightening, but we have a solid understanding of the manual S4S process and have continued to crosscut as needed to get flat stock out the other side. One of my woodworking buddies said his favorite part was the swish sound of the gas struts on the lid as you lift it up. My favorite part is that we were able to run a batch of 120 3" x 96" solid trim parts through in less than an hour on Friday!

Jay Brewer
02-28-2009, 7:01 PM
Another beautiful machine JR. Are you using it solely for mouldings or to mill your stiles and rails for doors?

A friend of mine has one setup for the rails of a RP door. Rough lumber in one end and a finished rail out the other, pretty impressive. Enjoy your new machine

J.R. Rutter
02-28-2009, 7:28 PM
Just about everything will go through it for S4S, including rails, stiles, and panel staves. We also run mitered door frames in one pass, and shaker door R&S.

Rob Russell
02-28-2009, 9:19 PM
JR - you always set the standard for those of us who want "big" toys to play with!

Brad Shipton
03-02-2009, 12:04 AM
JR, great looking machine. I assume its 3ph 220V. Did it take 100amp by itself? Yikes. I have been researching a moulder for a future business idea, but I will need an industrial generator for the location I like.

Is the flattening/straighting short coming because of the rigid hold downs? Just curious.

Thanks
Brad

Mike Heidrick
03-02-2009, 12:28 AM
I am with Rob. I thought I had big toys. Your toys make my toys look like, well, toys. Congrats. (Mike goes back to the shop with his head hung low and looks up at his JLT panel rack and shrugs - he has let it down.)

J.R. Rutter
03-02-2009, 12:52 AM
JR, great looking machine. I assume its 3ph 220V. Did it take 100amp by itself? Yikes. I have been researching a moulder for a future business idea, but I will need an industrial generator for the location I like.

Is the flattening/straighting short coming because of the rigid hold downs? Just curious.

Thanks
Brad

I had the dealer convert it from 460 to 230 for me (I have 208 3 ph). I was able to start all motors sequentially on a 50 A breaker to test, but used a 100A to comply with code and make sure that there would be no issues under load.

The flattening/straightening issue is due to the wood we start with 4/4 H&M to 15/16". This lets us sort for color and grain, but doesn't leave much meat for flattening. The feed rollers are pneumatic and can be adjusted as needed. There is an infeed roller before the jointing head that can be moved up out of the way, which is how I run it all the time.

J.R. Rutter
03-02-2009, 12:54 AM
I am with Rob. I thought I had big toys. Your toys make my toys look like, well, toys. Congrats. (Mike goes back to the shop with his head hung low and looks up at his JLT panel rack and shrugs - he has let it down.)

Those clamp racks are great! Waaaay better than the Planos that I used for years!