PDA

View Full Version : Mobile base for table saw w/ extension

Jeremy Rayburn
02-28-2009, 6:08 PM
I will be getting the Grizzly G0691 this week, and want to put it on a mobile base. The one Grizzly offers is the same Shop Fox base I have on my bandsaw and hate. So anyone have a base that will fit a table saw with the extension table that they love? Should I just make my own?

Steven J Corpstein
02-28-2009, 7:01 PM
I have a very heavy General 650 with an outfeed table attached, all on an HTC mobile base. It's been very mobile and handles the weight with no issues.

General 650 (http://www.datasystemsltd.com/saw/)

Doug Shepard
02-28-2009, 7:16 PM
I just switched my PM66 a few weeks ago from a PM base for 30" fence to an HTC HPS-10-EX so that I can add an outfeed storage cab and support a QG steel router extension. The HTC doesn't roll quite as smooth as the PM base but it's pretty decent and locks more stable than the PM. The end with the swivel casters has floor jack pedels (1 included) that raise the wheel off the floor, and brakes on the fixed wheel end. It has slide-out end brackets to let it work with 30" to 50" fence rail extension. I also have the HD Shopfox universal type base under a massive old DP and it's the worst mobile base I have.

Steve H Graham
02-28-2009, 8:14 PM
My PM66 has a 62" fence and a homemade extension made from heavy MDF. I stuck a frame and two legs made from 2 by 3's on the extension and screwed heavy braked casters into it. The saw is on an HTC3000 base. People said I needed a connection between the base and the casters on the extension legs, but it works great and does not sway.

One problem: the base partially obstructs the dust port.

Mark Kelly 92040
03-01-2009, 7:08 PM
I have a Grizzly 1023SL and used the Rockler mobile base, with some modifications. Here is a link: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2383&filter=mobile%20base

The base calls for 1 1/2" square wood stretchers and instead I used 1 1/2" square steel tubing. To accommodate the wide table, I just made the front and rear rails the length needed to handle the table legs and used a 1 1/2" angle iron to attach the two rails. I attached the wheel/lift to the angle iron in the center. The only other thing I would do (and still need to do) is to add two more adjustable feet to the front and rear rails next to the right side of the saw's cabinet for more stability when the saw is parked. Everything is bolted together since I don't weld and it has worked well so far.

Mark

Todd Crow
03-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Here is a good thread on mobile bases

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=104644

Jason White
03-02-2009, 7:55 AM
Jeremy, please send pics when you get the saw.

I'm seriously considering this saw as well and would love to know what you think of it.

Jason

I will be getting the Grizzly G0691 this week, and want to put it on a mobile base. The one Grizzly offers is the same Shop Fox base I have on my bandsaw and hate. So anyone have a base that will fit a table saw with the extension table that they love? Should I just make my own?

Rod Sheridan
03-02-2009, 8:25 AM
Hi Jeremy, this is the base for my 650, the base provides support for my Excalibur overarm guard and the extension table....Regards, Rod.

keith ouellette
03-02-2009, 9:47 AM

Make your own. It isn't as fancy looking but it works great. I built one out of common 2x6 on face with mortice and tenon joints. I can hear some creaker's laughing now "who would want that thing in their shop" but it works great. The first picture is of a base frame I built for something else. The next two are of the one I have on my saw. It is much larger because it was made for the new router table extension and cabinet I am building.

the base rolls with the saw and my 240lbs on it. The threaded rod legs level the base very nice and easy. My floor is very un level so this was necessary for my set up.

There are a couple of things I would make a little different but this does work well and was cheap.

Jason White
03-05-2009, 4:40 PM
Looks pretty good to me! I'm all about function rather than form.

Jason

Make your own. It isn't as fancy looking but it works great. I built one out of common 2x6 on face with mortice and tenon joints. I can hear some creaker's laughing now "who would want that thing in their shop" but it works great. The first picture is of a base frame I built for something else. The next two are of the one I have on my saw. It is much larger because it was made for the new router table extension and cabinet I am building.

the base rolls with the saw and my 240lbs on it. The threaded rod legs level the base very nice and easy. My floor is very un level so this was necessary for my set up.

There are a couple of things I would make a little different but this does work well and was cheap.

keith ouellette
03-05-2009, 4:50 PM
Looks pretty good to me! I'm all about function rather than form.

Jason

It does work well. I used some fairly inexpensive castors because I don't move it around often. most everything else was scrap and leftovers.