PDA

View Full Version : Cutting off ends of bench top - Snag!

Jim Eller
02-28-2009, 5:03 PM
Well, I was getting ready to square up the end of the ash bench top and ran into a snag.

I got out my DeWalt circular saw to run against a straight edge and discovered it will only cut to a depth of 2.5". The bench top is 2.75".

I thought about doing the cut half way and flip it over thing but usually that doesn't offer good results. The cuts never seem to match perfectly and I want to add end caps to it so it needs to be smooth and straight.

It's too heavy and awkward for the table saw or bandsaw, the 12" sliding miter won't make it all the way across, the sawzall would not give a smooth straight cut, .............

Maybe it's an excuse to buy another tool:rolleyes:

Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Jim

Joe Cunningham
02-28-2009, 5:14 PM
Cut as much with the circular saw, flip, make another cut with about 1/4" offset from the first cut, then use a flush cutting bit in the router?

Shawn Buonarosa
02-28-2009, 5:31 PM
I would either use a router with flush trim bit, or I'd finish it off with a hand-saw. I think I'd lean towards the saw.

Jim Eller
02-28-2009, 5:38 PM
Duh?????????????

Oh yes, the flush trim bit!!!!

Boy, it's hell to get old:o

Jim

Tony Bilello
02-28-2009, 6:24 PM
I refer to times like that as 'having a senior moment'.

The main thing is you now have an easy solution providing of course, that you can remember it between now and the time you make it t your shop.

Regards

Jim Eller
02-28-2009, 6:49 PM
Tony,

I've done this before, so............I went right to the project and got the bit and router out!!!

I gotta tell ya, taking an eighth inch protrusion that's a half inch long off of the end grain of ash is a challenge for the bit. I started with a half inch bit and quickly moved to a three quarter in diameter. Wish I had a bigger one.

I will have.

Jim

glenn bradley
02-28-2009, 7:11 PM
I refer to times like that as 'having a senior moment'.

The main thing is you now have an easy solution providing of course, that you can remember it between now and the time you make it t your shop.

Regards

I refer to it as the here after . . . I walk into a room and then ask myself; "what am I here after?".

Jim Eller
02-28-2009, 7:36 PM
Yup, done that too Glenn.

Some times I don't even get to the room and I asked myself, "Were in the h$%# you goin'"? I never do get the right answer.

The good part of it is, I haven't gotten lost yet.

Jim

Jim Eller
03-01-2009, 2:32 PM
Well, that worked as planned. I clamped some blocks on the ends to prevent tearout and used the circular saw on the bottom side also to get it close so the router wouldn't have much to remove.

Thanks again.

Dave Cav
03-01-2009, 4:24 PM
Very timely thread because I am going to be in the same boat in a few weeks. I was planning to use the RAS on both sides and not looking forward to it. My top is going to be about 3.5" thick, also ash.