PDA

View Full Version : How do I do this?

Brian Brown
02-28-2009, 4:57 PM
I want to make some small boxes approx 7" wide, 3" deep, and 1.5 inches high. The problem is I want to make the top slightly domed, with the high spot in the center. The high spot will be about 1/4-3/8 higher than the outer edges, rounding down toward the outer edges. I hope I have explained this clearly. The only way I can think of to make this would be with a bandsaw. Unfortunately, my bandsaw isn't up to much, certainly not my desired lids. How else would you cut these? I will probably want to spend the time to make a a jig, as I plan to make a few of them. Thanks for the help.

Dewey Torres
02-28-2009, 6:02 PM
Curved router rails.

I tried to draw one in SU but gave up. Hopefully you know what I am talking about.

Tony Bilello
02-28-2009, 6:19 PM
visit someone that does.
Make it round, then whack the sides off on the table saw.

If you dont want to waste good wood. glue up scrap wood on the short sides to make a square the size of the long side plus a tad more for waste.
Then trim it somewhat round with a band saw.
Turn the whole thing, kinda like a dinner plate in shape, the cut off the scraps you glued on.
Since it is small and the dish shape will be relatively shallow, it should only take a few minutes each.

Sorry, but that's the best I could offer in advise.

David Epperson
02-28-2009, 8:45 PM
I want to make some small boxes approx 7" wide, 3" deep, and 1.5 inches high. The problem is I want to make the top slightly domed, with the high spot in the center. The high spot will be about 1/4-3/8 higher than the outer edges, rounding down toward the outer edges. I hope I have explained this clearly. The only way I can think of to make this would be with a bandsaw. Unfortunately, my bandsaw isn't up to much, certainly not my desired lids. How else would you cut these? I will probably want to spend the time to make a a jig, as I plan to make a few of them. Thanks for the help.
I'm a little fuzzy on what you want.
Domed? is this on the inside or outside? If it's the inside, a shallow router or coving it out on a table saw.

If it's on the outside..Are you looking for a smooth dome across the narrow dimension?, the long dimension? or both? I've looked at doing similar - on a slightly larger box (approx 2x that size). I got inspiration from a lens grinder. Make yourself a couple of jigs that will let you swing the lid over a router bit at the correct radius - one jig for the tight crosswise radius, and a longer one for the lengthwise radius. Either way you will still have to allow some sliding motion along the swing axis for moving the cut across the lid.

Brian Brown
02-28-2009, 9:42 PM
Curved router rails.

I thought about the curved router rails, but couldn't figure out how to get it to work both ways. After thinking more about it, I would need one set of rails for each direction. So now for the $64 question, what router bit would work best?

Brian Brown
02-28-2009, 9:46 PM
Ya gotta love one of those "now why didn't I think of that" moments. With the glue ups, it's a bit time consuming, but maybe not more than any of the other methods.

Brian Brown
02-28-2009, 9:51 PM
I'm a little fuzzy on what you want.
Domed? is this on the inside or outside? If it's the inside, a shallow router or coving it out on a table saw.

If it's on the outside..Are you looking for a smooth dome across the narrow dimension?, the long dimension? or both?

Definitely looking to do both directions, and I'm doing it on the outside of the box.

The turning and router solutions both seem like they will work, and I'll probably try both if I can figure out which router bit will give the least tearout. Thanks for the help.

Peter Gregory
02-28-2009, 11:26 PM
If a lathe isn't it, I might cut close with a bandsaw and finish with a file. It would give you a good workout and a good result. I have a big sander and I might well carve it down close with that. If you are only making one, might be faster than messing with a router.

Tony Bilello
03-01-2009, 12:06 AM
Ya gotta love one of those "now why didn't I think of that" moments. With the glue ups, it's a bit time consuming, but maybe not more than any of the other methods.

The glue-ups should take les than a minute. For something like this I would use a 'rub' joint. That is where you put on some glue on one surface and rub the two pieces together back and forth a few times and it creats a strong suction and clamps are not necessary. The only reason for adding on the pieces is so that you can turn a round piece rather than a 3 x 7 rectangle.
Sorry for the rambling on, I hope i didnt write this to confusing.

Dewey Torres
03-01-2009, 2:57 AM
This is what I was trying to explain. It slides along the edges of the box, clamp in place make a pass or two then move and repeat until you are done. An upcut spiral with a large diameter will work fine. You will have a bit of clean up but should be minimal.

Forgive my SU skills... just trying to get the idea across.

Myk Rian
03-01-2009, 8:24 AM
Dewey has it right. Make it wide enough that you can use a router sled and a larger bowl cutting bit.

Craig T. Smith
03-01-2009, 8:33 AM
Brian, As I understand it you are going to make multiple boxes, so how about using a lathe as mentioned earlier make a desired object . Then bandsaw it and you have 4 tops. Just a thought, LOL, Craig

Russ Boyd
03-01-2009, 8:46 AM
How about cutting a chamfer on all 4 sides with your table saw, then sand out the ridges? Seems simple, but have never done it. Just don't cut any fingers off.