PDA

View Full Version : From a HF to a display cut away

Bill Bolen
02-28-2009, 4:52 PM
I was turning this samll Bradford Pear hollow form last wek. It is 5 X 4.5 limb wood. Trying to get the thickness down to 1/8" or so . I wanted to try a bit of texturing around the mouth and shoulder area. Got the top thinned down to what I though would work. The wife came into the shop and we talked for a bit. Seems I failed to adjust the laser from a set point to thin the top to a new set point to thin the sides. But ofcourse I went thriough! That hollow ticking sound started and when it did I asked mysefl if I had reallllly adjusted the laser or not. Oh well, I am going to use it as a cut away in the display of my wares in a local Design store. The owner was tickled to add it as it shows just how thin walled most hollowing is...Bill...

Steve Schlumpf
02-28-2009, 4:57 PM
Yup - stuff happens! Glad to see that you will still be able to use it! Great salvage idea! I am sure a lot of folks have no idea of the work that goes into making one of these! This will peak some interest!

Don Carter
02-28-2009, 5:18 PM
Bill:
Wow! That is a shame! It is a great idea to show how the inside looks. It is still a beautiful piece. Thanks for showing it.

All the best.

Don

alex carey
02-28-2009, 7:36 PM
too bad, that would have been a nice piece. Are you sure thats braford pear? It looks far too light and creamy.

Alex

Bill Bolen
02-28-2009, 7:57 PM
Alex it is Bradford Pear from my side yard..Bill..

Richard Madison
02-28-2009, 9:07 PM
It's a very nice piece Bill. A fresh take on "natural edge" HF. Actually I think it would sell.

Bernie Weishapl
03-01-2009, 12:21 AM
Yep Bill been there done that. I had the same thing happen when not paying attention to where I had the laser set. Well at least you didn't have to cut one to show wall thickness. Great that the piece worked for you.

Lionel Mercier
03-01-2009, 3:17 AM
I do'nt know very well the original text (in English) but I remember the translation in
French thus with the help of the web I choose this four lines of poetry
If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss...
Rudyard Kipling
see all at
http://www.swarthmore.edu/~apreset1/docs/if.html

Jim Koepke
03-01-2009, 3:51 AM
Great way to make lemon aide.

Who knows, it may help to make sales as a sample for the sales people to open up a conversations with shoppers.

jim

Jeff Nicol
03-01-2009, 5:40 AM
Bill, I think that is a wonderful idea to use your mistake as a teaching/information piece! I guess I will have to save one of my BOO BOO's to do the same thing instead of burning them up.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jim Kountz
03-01-2009, 9:35 AM
Hey I have some bowls like that!! Thats cool that you were able to do something good with it rather than trash it. Looks great by the way even with that big hole in it!!

Joe Meirhaeghe
03-01-2009, 9:59 AM
Been there done that !!!:( don't care to do it again:eek: However I'm sure I will:)
I just hate it when that happens.

Jim Becker
03-01-2009, 10:53 AM
That's an excellent way to turn adversity into advantage.