PDA

View Full Version : Birdseye Box with Finial

Steve Schlumpf
02-28-2009, 4:43 PM
I actually turned this lidded box a year ago, put it up on the shelf and forgot about it. I have been asked to give a small demo on finials this coming Tuesday at our turning club and thought this would be good for show & tell. I remember turning this as an experiment in shape as well as for the combinations of different woods.

Woods used are: birdseye maple for the hollow form, cherry for the lid and pedestal, curly maple for the finial. Sanded to 400 and has 3 coats of Minwax Wipe-On Gloss Poly. Plan on buffing it just before going to the meeting Tuesday. Dimensions: 8” to top of finial x 3” max diameter. The hollow form portion is close to or slightly less than 3/32” thick.

111631 111632

As always, your comments, critiques or opinions are welcome!

Thanks for looking!

Note to Tamara Brown: the fit of the lid on this box is very close to what you have on your first lidded box. I spent quite a while critiquing the form on mine and is why I offered you the suggestion about continuing curves.

Bill Bolen
02-28-2009, 4:55 PM
Superb piece Steve! As nice as that is I can't see how you forgot about it. First stages of "old timers"? Great example for the club and I hope it goes well for all of you...Bill...

Don Carter
02-28-2009, 5:23 PM
Steve:
Wow! Forgot about it! Beautiful piece, and I love the combination of woods. Did I say, Wow?

All the best.

Don

Dewey Torres
02-28-2009, 5:43 PM
Steve,
Good luck with the demo. Your club is lucky to have you.

Toney Robertson
02-28-2009, 5:48 PM
Steve,

Very nice. It is not often that you see similar colored woods for the different components. I like it.

Toney

Paul Douglass
02-28-2009, 8:24 PM
That is a beautiful piece of work!

Ken Glass
02-28-2009, 9:14 PM
Steve,
The HF looks like it is dripping with beads of water. The figure in it is really cool. I like the whole piece and the Finial color was an excellent choice. Very well done!!

charlie knighton
02-28-2009, 9:23 PM
very nice...

Tamara Brown
02-28-2009, 9:47 PM
Steve, thank you. I do see what you are talking about with the continuation of the curvalinear lines. I just need so much more practice.

I really do like the combination of the woods here and I never would have thought of curly maple for a finial, but it looks great. I like the pedestal as well. Great piece!

Steve Mawson
02-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Very nice, how did you attach the base to the HF? Looks great.

Jack Giovo
02-28-2009, 10:41 PM
I have to agree with the rest of the posts - very nice job - good use of different woods all in all a great piece of work.:D

Jack

Bernie Weishapl
03-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Steve that is a beauty. Really like the finial and the wood combo. Well done.

Dean Thomas
03-01-2009, 1:03 AM
Nice piece. Wood combo is just different enough to highlight both without one overshadowing the other.

The details really make the piece for me--the direct relationship between the body with pedestal and the scaled down echo in the finial make me smile. Very nice piece. LOVE symmetry.

Jeff Nicol
03-01-2009, 5:50 AM
Steve, I love the woods and the finial, but I think the pedestal could have been a bit more refined. As you said you were figureing out form and things and have gotten it much better since that one. I have to get in the shop as yesterday was our turners guilds meeting and we had a guest demonstrator in. It got me fired up to do some turning!

Jeff

Tony De Masi
03-01-2009, 7:49 AM
Beautiful piece Steve. Love the combos of the wood with just enough contrast in them. Well done.

Tony

Steve Schlumpf
03-01-2009, 9:20 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone - I do appreciate it!

Steve - I used a tenon/recess with a touch of glue to hold the pedestal and hollow form together.

Dean - you are the first to notice the finial mimics the larger form.

Jeff - you are correct in that the pedestal could have been more refined but I remember trying to create the effect of a poached egg sitting in it's holder. Just wanted a simple modern style curve so it would not take away from the hollow form.

Thanks again everyone!

Jim Kountz
03-01-2009, 9:32 AM
Steve as usual another fantastic job. The form is great the finial is great. Wish I could make that meeting Tues but its just a little bit far for me to drive there!!

Steve Schlumpf
03-01-2009, 9:47 AM
Jim - if you jump in your truck now you should be able to make it!

Mitchell Cholewinski
03-01-2009, 7:45 PM
Steve
Very nice work Steve, looks great. Congratulations on a job well done. Mitch