PDA

View Full Version : Shopping list ***Opinions and comments pleas***

Mark Norman
02-28-2009, 2:51 PM
Going in head first...

I'm selling an old Camaro to equip my woodworking shop. I expect to get at least $6,000 for it and have been doing some shopping.

I already have a good table saw, router, biscuit cutter set and a 10" and 8" cut-off saws as well as a few cordless and corded tools and air compressor with several air tools.

So I put together a list of the various pieces of equipment needed to have a well equiped shop. I plan on turning mid to large bowls and making some furniture. I am a fairly experienced woodworker but havent done a lot in several years.

So any input on any of the machines I have picked out would be appreciated. I'm not sure about the brand of band saw I picked out and could go as much as $1k for that item...

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t116/triangle5/wood/shop.jpg

Tom Veatch
02-28-2009, 4:07 PM
The only things I can comment on are the Planer and Jointer. I own the same models and have been very pleased with them. Since I've no experience with any other type, I have nothing to compare and contrast with so you can take my comment for whatever you feel it might be worth. But, I have no regrets with those two machines.

What's the "fee" entries?

Thomas Williams
02-28-2009, 4:13 PM
I think that would be a nice collection of tools to add to the shop I will offer my 2 cents and suggest 2 changes. I would look at a dust collector with more cfm than the Jet DC 650, mine just seems a bit lacking. I would also look at an 8 inch jointer. I have the Jet 6 inch and I am very pleased with it, except when I want to joint a board wider than 6 inches.

Mark Norman
02-28-2009, 4:18 PM
The fee is overweight trucking but there is a Woodcraft in Sacramento about three hours from me so I may make sure they have what I need ready to go and then make the trek to go pick em up in me ole pick-em up truck (hope it all fits).
They also have ten percent off right now :D
If I go pick up and deduct the 10% I could save a lot of $ on an order this size.

Thanks for your comments on the planer and jointer Tom!! I appreciate em! I dont think I can go wrong with Jet.

Todd Solomon
02-28-2009, 4:19 PM
Looks like a nice list. The only thing I would recommend is to spend less on the planer/molder and get an 8" jointer. Unless you have specific molding work that you plan on making a lot of, I wouldn't recommend a planer/molder. For most moldings, you'll probably end up making them on your router table any way. This will give you more capacity for jointing wider boards. Food for thought:

Grizzly G0490 8" Parallelogram Jointer for $895
DeWalt 12-1/2" Planer for $429

Happy shopping!

Todd

Mark Norman
02-28-2009, 4:30 PM
OK, that is exacly the kind of advise I was looking for.
It's a lot of money to get started and I need to spend wisely,

I plan on having the DCS outside the main shop and plumb through the rafters with 4" or larger pvc to each machine. I had an old cast iron vacume that sat on a 55 gal drum that would have worked but gave it away ten years ago when I moved.

Thanks again for the input...Back to Woodcrafts web site I go...

glenn bradley
02-28-2009, 4:59 PM
Food for thought:

Grizzly G0490 8" Parallelogram Jointer for $895
DeWalt 12-1/2" Planer for $429

OK, that is exacly the kind of advise I was looking for. It's a lot of money to get started and I need to spend wisely.

I'm in with Todd on the Jointer and Planer improvement. A lot more bang for your buck IMHO. I have the G0490X and the DW734 and went through months of research before I decided. I'm just saying this so you will know that I am prejudice; if I thought something else made better sense, I would have done it. :D Other folks bought what they bought for the same reason, they just wanted what those products delivered.

Your DC choice is expensive as well; I think you can do better. For about the cost of the Jet you can have a 2HP 1700CFM Griz G0548 delivered. I think you need to break out of the 'one stop shopping' approach. The sale is obviously time limited and one trip would be convenient but, I would rather spread my purchases out and get a little more bang for the buck (JMHO).

Mark Norman
02-28-2009, 5:12 PM
I am in the preliminary planning stage right now. And that's why I came here asking for opinions.

I'll be shopping around before I start spending $$$. I see some deals on e-bay but I would rather buy from an authorised distributor.

Thanks again. I'll be revising my shoppin list more than once for sure!

Shawn Buonarosa
02-28-2009, 5:36 PM
Aww, no love for the hand tools? I know I can't do anything without mine...
If I had 6,000 to spend on tooling up, I would definitely spend 1000 on quality chisels, sharpening equipment, and a couple nice planes.

Rick Moyer
02-28-2009, 5:48 PM
How many HP is the Rikon? I don't know much about turning but I suspect you would want a substantial B/S for cutting blanks. I have the small Grizzly G0555 and while a nice saw, I would want bigger for resawing and turning blanks I think. Both the 0513 and 0514 varieties seem like very good bang for the buck.

Thomas S Stockton
02-28-2009, 6:29 PM
Check to see if you have a Western tool nearby they charge $5 for special orders including machinery and seem to be willing to bargin on price.
Tom

Mark Norman
02-28-2009, 7:23 PM
How many HP is the Rikon? I don't know much about turning but I suspect you would want a substantial B/S for cutting blanks. I have the small Grizzly G0555 and while a nice saw, I would want bigger for resawing and turning blanks I think. Both the 0513 and 0514 varieties seem like very good bang for the buck.
Thanks Rick,
It's 1-1/2 hp and has a 13" resaw capacity. Thats why I chose it. I want to turn deep bowls and I have access to a lot of oak trees in these parts.

Here it is:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=834771&FamilyID=20041

I'll look at the Griz 0513 and 0514, Thanks again

Mark Norman
02-28-2009, 7:26 PM
Aww, no love for the hand tools? I know I can't do anything without mine...
If I had 6,000 to spend on tooling up, I would definitely spend 1000 on quality chisels, sharpening equipment, and a couple nice planes.

The smaller hand tools come as I need em Shawn. I have some and will surely aquire more as I go.

Clint Schlosser
02-28-2009, 7:43 PM
I do a fair bit of turning, and I will say you might regret the money on the chuck and the Lathe. I would recommend either the One-Way Talon (http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=demechman-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=B000E0DU8K&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&m=amazon&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr) or a Vicmarc (http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=demechman-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=B001JEF1F0&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&m=amazon&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr) chuck and a set of larger jaws to go with the chuck. I am not sure where you got the price on the Lathe (amazon lists at 1500), but the Jet 1642 (http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=demechman-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=B00064NGRE&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&m=amazon&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr) is about 1800 and will allow you turn a wet log into a reasonable sized bowl. Also you may want to purchase the lathe tools seperately. Woodcraft does sales regularly on them or craft supply.

Bottom line you may want to focus on the furniture building equipment or the lathe equipment given your budget. I figure just in tools, chucks, and other turning supplies you can spend about 3k and have just a medium quality setup. You will find that you may have limited yourself in capacity down the road with your current choices.

Sorry for the long post.

keith ouellette
02-28-2009, 7:49 PM
I am not very experienced but here is my 2 cents.

I also have the grizzly 8" para jointer. I went through two others before I got that one. It sets up great.

I bought a 20" planer right off the bat and have been glad I did. I don't like my brand (It has worked fine so far. its a long story). i like to be able to put a glue up through the planer. I don't know how handy others think that is but the 20" planer was one thing I feel I did right. Just wish I had the money for a better, still in existence brand.

Mark Norman
02-28-2009, 7:52 PM
I do a fair bit of turning, and I will say you might regret the money on the chuck and the Lathe. I would recommend either the One-Way Talon (http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=demechman-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=B000E0DU8K&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&m=amazon&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr) or a Vicmarc (http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=demechman-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=B001JEF1F0&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&m=amazon&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr) chuck and a set of larger jaws to go with the chuck. I am not sure where you got the price on the Lathe (amazon lists at 1500), but the Jet 1642 (http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=demechman-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=B00064NGRE&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&m=amazon&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr) is about 1800 and will allow you turn a wet log into a reasonable sized bowl. Also you may want to purchase the lathe tools seperately. Woodcraft does sales regularly on them or craft supply.

Bottom line you may want to focus on the furniture building equipment or the lathe equipment given your budget. I figure just in tools, chucks, and other turning supplies you can spend about 3k and have just a medium quality setup. You will find that you may have limited yourself in capacity down the road with your current choices.

Sorry for the long post.

Dont be sorry Clint. I pondered the lathe a LOT...

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=822430&FamilyID=5225

for $1125 at woodcraft or the 1642 for $1645

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=822431&FamilyID=5433

Five hundred bucks more....Hmmm is it worth it? I am tempted.

Thanks for the input on the chucks, I'll check em out.

John Buzzurro
03-01-2009, 7:33 AM
+1 on the 8" jointer recommendation.

mike johnston
03-01-2009, 8:06 AM
Mark I envey your position, A few items might be worthy of consideration. A sharpening jig for your lathe tools, unless you are born with the sharpening gene hand sharpening is tuff. The wolverine jig by one way is very popular. Another tool you can pick up very reasonably and you will use more than you believe is a drillpress. I second the motion on a quality chuck. You might also consider trying to buy the stationary tools used there's a lot more money to be saved on the larger tools than there is on the smaller items by buying them in the secondary market. Not to say that there are not savings buying used hand tools. But the savings are in the tens of dollars not the hundreds.Shop around take your time enjoy the process.
Mike

Scott Wigginton
03-01-2009, 8:13 AM
I'm not sure if you want to avoid Grizzly, but if not they have some nice items that give a larger bang for the buck than some of what you have listed.

Here are some quick hits I'd recommend looking into:

G0513X2 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-Bandsaw-2HP-w-Cast-Iron-Trunnion/G0513X2) 17" Bandsaw $995 shipped
G1021X2 (http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/Extreme-Series-15-Planer-w-Spiral-Cutterhead/G1021X2) 15" Planer with Spiral Cutterhead $1195 shipped
G0490 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Jointer-with-Parallelogram-Beds/G0490) 8" Jointer $895 shipped

The price diff over what you listed is $700 but drops to $275 if you get MS Cashback at 8% and assuming you pay 7.25% sales tax for the stuff from Woodcraft. You'd greatly increases the capacity of each tool (6" to 8" jointer, 14" to 17" BS, 13" to 15" with Spiral planer).

I would also look at a cyclone from Grizzly/Oneida/ClearVue.

Don Morris
03-01-2009, 9:00 AM
Another backer for the switch from the Jet 6" to an 8". Had the Jet 6" but needed to go too often to the local pros. to have wider boards faced. Make sure you get a remote for the DCS, as that little sucker is so nice when you get ready to start and realize you would have needed to walk all the way around the TS and outfeed table just to push a start button. All you need to do is grab your remote (which you secure to your apron) and say "Damn, I'm glad I got that". Tool sharpening, chisel sharpening would be on my list. I have a Tormek, and am very pleased with it, but there are comparable systems...it sure saves time and elbow grease and delivers an excellent result. Sharp tools and chisels are a joy to work with and dull ones make wwing a PITA plus you just can't produce your best result. Remember on any project plan for a 20% "project creep" in expected cost. In my case, it's usually 30%.

Jim Kountz
03-01-2009, 9:01 AM
If you really want to turn mid to large sized deep bowls as you say, that lathe is going to leave you wanting more. The problem is its lowest speed setting. Its still too high for large out of round blanks to be roughed safely. Yes you can chuck a large blank on there and fire it up but its going to shake rattle and roll and basically scare the crap out of you. Upgrade to the Jet 1642 EVS and you will not only gain in the capacity of bowl you can turn but you get variable speed down to about 50 rpms. I have this lathe and its done all I have asked of it including some huge 16" x 10" bowls blanks and coring them out. Scotts shopping lists look really good to me, more bang for you buck. I love Jet stuff, I have quite a few Jet items in my shop but I have Grizzly too. To me they are on the same level yet the Grizz is always going to save you money.

Blake Barr
03-01-2009, 9:10 AM
If I had that kind money I'd go with used tools and get serious iron like a 12" cast iron jointer and something huge for a bandsaw. I get just about as much pleasure tinkering/tuning and refreshing the old iron as I do the woodworking so it'd make sense for me. On that same note however I understand the cash burning a hole in your pocket thing as I just drove to rockler yesterday to buy a router table. I just couldn't stand to wait for a cL one any longer (2 days, haha). I'm also not a turner so I don't know much about lathes....

The really nice part about buying used is the depreciation you see on your new tools is already taken by someone else. It appears staionary tools do a 50% drop in the first year or two then sit stable until they start needed restoring.... I can't stand depreciating assets when there is an alternative...

Mark Norman
03-01-2009, 12:15 PM
OK Jim, so I stepped up to the JWL-1642EVS Lathe. I like the 1-1/2hp feature over the 1 hp, and I am considering the SuperNova chuck. Would that be comparable to the Vicmark or one-Way Clint suggested?.

I cant upgrade all the machines or I would certianly have to eliminate one of em or I would find myself without the cash to buy some wood to get started.. How much fun would that be to have all this fine equipment and no wood to work?:eek:

I think the remote for the DCS is a good idea too. Thanks Don.

I dont want to go hunting for used stuff Blake, I dont haggle well and I want what I want. I would end up making concessions and settle for a lesser piece of equipment just because I drove an hour to go "look" at it. I want to spend a weekend setting up the shop and get right to the wood aspect.

I have a drill press and I am quite adept at sharpening tools, I have sharpened my own drill bits for 30 years and have a few years of metal shop experience under my belt.

Would someone please explain when I would need to join something larger than 6"?? I dont get it. Wouldn't I be using the planer for face planing and the jointer for truing the edge of the board for glue-ups.

Thank you all for your time and effort in responding to help me get off on the right foot. It is appreciated:):)

glenn bradley
03-01-2009, 12:40 PM
I see some deals on e-bay but I would rather buy from an authorised distributor.

Sounds like your doing your homework. I have no problem with used tools if they are older high quality machines that need a little TLC or ones that you want that are no longer available. If it's a choice between a used machine less than 10 years old or a new one and the difference is only 20-30% I would definitely go new; a warranty can be a wonderful thing ;-)

Clamps can be acquired as the need arises. I have a bunch of quality f-style clamps that seldom get used. I bought a lot before I 'discovered' :rolleyes: what I was really going to enjoy doing. The same goes for hand tools. The ones I've bought in the last couple years get used all the time; ones I bought early-on that I thought I needed are 'somewhere' around here.

I've done better with buying as the need arises. What I want might not be on sale but not spending money on something I just don't use makes up for it ;-)

John Daugherty
03-01-2009, 12:54 PM
In order to get the two faces of a board parallel you first joint one face and then plane the other.

Mark Norman
03-01-2009, 1:11 PM
Sounds like your doing your homework. I have no problem with used tools if they are older high quality machines that need a little TLC or ones that you want that are no longer available. If it's a choice between a used machine less than 10 years old or a new one and the difference is only 20-30% I would definitely go new; a warranty can be a wonderful thing ;-)

A lot of homework pays off; and I found a great resource here:D

I don't mind used equipment as long as its quality, but I am impatient by nature (and old enough to know it). I don't want to take many weeks or even several months to have the shop well equipped.

I plan on supplementing my income with selling of my wares to the tourists that come through out town on the way to Yosemite. So I have to get producing and hit the ground running. six months or a year to get my sea legs under me I figgure.

I don't mind buying the small items as needed, as you did with the clamps. I have a few to get me started and will acquire more as the need arises.

Thanks for the input Glenn, where are you located? We are almost neighbors:)

Mark Norman
03-01-2009, 1:16 PM
In order to get the two faces of a board parallel you first joint one face and then plane the other.

At the risk of sounding ignorant; can't you just plane one side then the other? I plan on making checkerboards and wanted to go with a real wide (20") planer to accommodate them. So I was thinking a smaller jointer and larger capacity planer? Please correct me if I am mistaken. I can accept constructive criticism. Thanks again!

Jim Kountz
03-01-2009, 6:46 PM
OK Jim, so I stepped up to the JWL-1642EVS Lathe. I like the 1-1/2hp feature over the 1 hp, and I am considering the SuperNova chuck. Would that be comparable to the Vicmark or one-Way Clint suggested?.

You wont regret it I promise!;) The Supernova is a fine chuck and should handle all of your needs. The Vicmarc and Oneway are of course fine chucks but if you want a really nice one and to save a few bucks go with the Supernova. That being said if you check Ebay there is a guy who offers really nice package deals on the Oneway chucks if you want to check them out. Could maybe come out at the same money. Maybe.

Mark Norman
03-01-2009, 6:57 PM
I think I am headed in the right direction...

Glad I found this site. I've been busy reading and gaining a lot of knowledge from the collective of which you are part.

I'm still at around $5k on the budget.

A little more maybe;)

Scott Wigginton
03-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Would someone please explain when I would need to join something larger than 6"?? I dont get it. Wouldn't I be using the planer for face planing and the jointer for truing the edge of the board for glue-ups.

Before you can run a piece on the planer you need a flat face to ride along the base (if it is warped it'll follow the warp along the bed), this is typically achieved on the jointer.

As for why over 6", most rough I've picked up is just over 7" (has been echoed elsewhere on SMC)

Rick Cicciarelli
03-01-2009, 10:21 PM
I don't have them, but I would consider looking into the Grizzly jointers and band saws. Both have gotten decent reviews and they would be on my list of considerations.

Mark Norman
03-11-2009, 12:20 AM
Thanks Rick,
The band saw is #2 on my list, right after a bowl lathe so I can cut rounds out of logs.

It needs to have at least +6" re-saw cap to do what I need and the griz looks to be a viable option.