PDA

View Full Version : Found the owner Re: Marine uniform in my attic

Michael Weber
02-28-2009, 2:16 PM
At least I found his mother:) in Knoxville. The son is in DC and prepping for law school. She is the one that left the uniform without realizing it. They have been trying to find it for several years. They are very happy to have found it (astonished in her words). I let them know many people including several retired Marines who were members of a woodworking forum assisted in the search. They are very grateful. Thanks

Tom Veatch
02-28-2009, 2:21 PM
Thanks for posting the outcome. I was wondering how the search turned out. Happy you found him. Now, if someone would call with news of mine...

Belinda Barfield
02-28-2009, 2:26 PM
Michael, details man, we need details. How did you finally track him down?

glenn bradley
02-28-2009, 3:30 PM
Excellent news!

Gene Howe
02-28-2009, 3:50 PM
You are a gem, Michael. Kudos!!!!

Dewey Torres
02-28-2009, 6:14 PM
I can't believe it but I am glad you did!

Jeffrey Makiel
02-28-2009, 7:28 PM
A very classy story.
-Jeff :)

Michael Weber
02-28-2009, 7:34 PM
Michael, details man, we need details. How did you finally track him down?

Belinda, I'd like to say it was from superior sleuthing skills;) but turned out to be pretty easy. I found some folders in the attic behind some floor boards that had been pulled up and stacked to the side. The papers inside were royalty receipts for books and included the authors name as well. Same last name as our missing Marine. Did a search for the name on the royalty receipts and book titles and turns out there was a website. No phone number or location but with an email link. I emailed her but didn't hear back for several days. I got worried that she might never check that particular address. So, I contacted her publisher asking them to notify her. Don't know if they alerted her or if she found the message on her own but she eventually replied. To show her gratitude she has offered to send me autographed copies of her books as well as pay for shipping. It's a happy ending all around.
Although the Marine and author's last name was not in the county records as previous owners, she did indeed own the house with her husband under a different name. She continues to write under her original name.

Belinda Barfield
02-28-2009, 8:03 PM
I'm so glad you tracked him down. Thanks for sharing the details.

Scott Shepherd
02-28-2009, 8:12 PM
You didn't find anything of mine in your attic did you? I'm particularly looking for a big bag of cash I left behind. I can vouch for it, it's all green and white with Presidents all over them. I'll PM you my address in case you found it. Also, I haven't written any books, but I'll buy one and sign it if you find my cash ;)

Thanks for sharing the story. Great to know there are still people out there who do the right thing no matter what. Great job and great story.

Michael Weber
02-28-2009, 9:29 PM
You didn't find anything of mine in your attic did you? I'm particularly looking for a big bag of cash I left behind. I can vouch for it, it's all green and white with Presidents all over them. I'll PM you my address in case you found it. Also, I haven't written any books, but I'll buy one and sign it if you find my cash ;)

Thanks for sharing the story. Great to know there are still people out there who do the right thing no matter what. Great job and great story.

Scott Sheperd, CONGRATULATIONS! Your lost cash has been stored here at the Merchants Bank of Zimbabwa. I am Mr Mootek Allabba residing directory for North American affairs. My duties include finding and refunding monies deposited in accounts for unknown funds. You are going to be soooooo rich. Better than winning the European grand lottery. Simply send me your Social Security Number, date of birth, and address and I'll get it out to you. Along with the information, please enclose $750 US for export processing fees and additiional $1567 US for our costs in storing this huge pile of money. Congratulations Again Scott Shepherd;)

Jack Dickey
02-28-2009, 9:51 PM
OOOHH Scott better jump on that deal budd ..

Good deeds have rewards , nice going guys ..

Dave Anderson NH
03-01-2009, 8:55 AM
A great ending to a story Mike. I'm sure the owner of the uniforms will be quite pleased to get them back. I still have some of mine, though the intervening 40 years have convinced me that based on the size, they were really someone elses.:D

Dave Anderson NH
Corporal USMC '69-'69

Jack Dickey
03-01-2009, 9:02 AM
Dave I think it's the air in the closet , causes them to shrink , none of mine fit either

David G Baker
03-01-2009, 10:56 AM
I got out of the Army in 1966, I weighed around 165 pounds. Tried my uniforms on a few years later and think like Jack does about the exotic air in my closet causing all of my Army gear to shrink. I couldn't even get into my field jacket and they are generally issued a little large due to needing room for cold weather gear under them. I cut the metal buttons of the Class A uniforms and donated it along with my field clothing to the Salvation Army. I knew I would never get back down to the slim and trim shape again.

Jim O'Dell
03-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Michael, great feel good story there. Glad you found the owner. Thanks for sharing along the way, and kudos to those who tried to help. Does the heart good! Jim.