PDA

View Full Version : Is this an upgrade?

Jason White
02-28-2009, 2:08 PM
Been poking around ebay, Craigslist, etc., and have seen a few used Powermatic 66 tablesaws for sale. They seem to go for $1200-$1500, depending on how old they are.

I have a perfectly fine contractor's saw (a RIDGID TS3650) that performs very well, but I just can't help wondering whether I'm missing out.

Would replacing my RIDGID with a used PM66 be considered an upgrade, even if the saw is 20 years old or more?

Jason

Frederick Rowe
02-28-2009, 2:25 PM
Jason,

Generally speaking, a good condition PM66, regardless of how old, would be considered an upgrade. What the upgrade would allow you to do is handle larger and thicker pieces of wood. I've got a friend who has the Ridgid and it is a great contractors saw. Properly set up your Ridgid won't cut with any less accuracy the a cabinet table saw, but dust collection will be improved, power to cut thicker wood will increased, and the table and fence length will increase; all of which add up to capacity to handle larger/longer work pieces with greater ease. But if you've got a small shop, the advantage of wheeling your Ridgid saw out of the way, lies with the contractor's saw.

About 4 years ago I sold my Craftsman contractor's saw, which is very similar, if not near identical to your Ridgid, and bought a Unisaw. For me, I wanted better dust collection, a sliding table attachment, and frankly - a Unisaw. The Craftsman I sold was dialed in - dead square cuts, and the Unisaw is no more accurate than the Craftsman was. I can however, handle larger pieces and the slider I wanted. Dust collection with an upper Shark Guard now is fantastic.

The main stream cabinet saws will also hold their value much better than contractor saws, and unless you are set on a riving knife standard on the newer saws, the PM66 of any vintage will do everything you'll need it to do.

Good luck with your choice.

Victor Stearns
02-28-2009, 4:17 PM
If you search for the PM66 on the Creek, you will find more people for than against. I think that the current order might be something like
SawStop
PM66
UNISAW
Then the Grizzly and Steel City saws.

While I too still have my Craftsman Contractor TS, I am looking for a cabinet saw to replace it with. I can cut just about anything and have dead on cuts. HOWEVER, I would like to step up with a cabinet saw.

SO Yes this is definitely an Upgrade!
Good Luck
Victor

Paul Demetropoulos
02-28-2009, 8:10 PM
Jason,

Does your current saw do everything you require of it?

Travis Porter
02-28-2009, 8:59 PM
I am a former PM-66 owner. I upgraded from a Delta Contractor style saw. For me, the difference was unbelievable. Super smooth cuts, little to no vibration, and a solid rip fence, not to mention being able to cut 8/4 hardwoods faster.

I originally bought my PM-66 in 1993 I believe, so getting a saw 15 to 20 years old is not necessarily bad. My only suggestion would be I would want to see it run, and I would want to check the top for flatness.

As for price, I would think you could get one in good shape for $1K. FWIW, that is what I got for mine when I sold it.

Jason White
03-01-2009, 8:46 AM
Of course it does.

It's more that I "want" a cabinet saw rather than "need" one. I think it would just make things more enjoyable.

JW

Jason,

Does your current saw do everything you require of it?

Bill Stoffels
03-01-2009, 9:19 AM
I had a Delta contractor saw and it did all I asked of it , then the dilema came I had a chance to get a 3 hp Anniversary edition Unisaw with the 52" Biesmeyer fence and that did it .
the contractor saw did well but for the cost I would never go back .
The unisaw though old is th3e "core " of my shop.
Wait for a real deal like 900 to 1200 if you can
Times are hard and people do sell things there not using

Case in point just bought a Qunicy 80 gal 5 hp air compressor 175 psi and 17 sffm flow at 175 psi its the mother of all one person compressors also has a Baldor moter approx $500 alsone for $1,100.00 NEW people and contractors are not buying the higher end "quality" machines due to cost . money talks this was at a berlands store
they list for $2100 approx

Wait for the deals there coming
Bill

Neal Clayton
03-01-2009, 12:16 PM
my pm66 was 19 years old when i bought it.

i think i maintain it better than the previous owner, in that the previous owner had it in a shop with a leaky roof, otherwise i open its gate on the dust collector once a week or so to suck all the crap out of it. otherwise it 'just works', accurate within 2 thousandths from end to end, every day, probably for the next 19 years.

if you find one in good working order it'll be the last one you ever need to buy. why not go for it?

Paul Steiner
03-01-2009, 1:21 PM
If you get a pm66 you will never need another tablesaw. You will never have to upgrade.