PDA

View Full Version : Which Romark?

Dave Johnson29
02-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Hi All,

I want to order some supplies for name tags and badges etc. I looked in the JDS catalog and am overwhelmed with the choices.

Can someone please recommend say 3 or 4 different specific materials and colors.

I am not sure this is what I want to do with the laser but would like to make some samples.

Thanks.

Mike Null
02-28-2009, 1:15 PM
Dave

I do a lot of name tags and control panel labels. Most of what I use is 1/16" or .060".

The colors you must keep on hand are gold/black, silver/black, white/black, black/white, red/white. I keep blue/white, green/white, black reverse engravable, white reverse engravable and a few others for specific jobs.

I didn't list any numbers because I use IPI, even with their issues. I buy all from Johnson Plastics.

You'll need to buy nickel plated pins and magnets. I only offer one variety of each and I have a couple of other fasteners that I bought for special jobs and bought too many.

You'll also need tape if you'll be doing control panel labels.

I put all magnet name tags in zip lock bags from Uline.

Larry Bratton
02-28-2009, 1:15 PM
Dave:
Not taking anything away from JDS, but they don't carry Rowmark's full line. Take a look at all the choices at the main Rowmark site. http://www.rowmark.com/ Johnson Plastics is also a great source for Rowmark. As to which product, they are all good products, it just depends on what your going to do.

Steve Clarkson
02-28-2009, 1:20 PM
Dave,

I requested Rowmark and IPI samples from different places and ended up with like 30 different pieces that were all like 3"x4". I ended up making a business card and cut and engraved it on all thirty pieces. If you make the same thing for all thirty pieces, the only thing you need to do is to concentrate on the various speed/power settings so you don't get too overwhelmed. Go to the Rowmark website to get the settings.....they worked well for me.

At the end of the day, you'll have a good handle on all the different materials (there are a TON!) and you'll also have 30 different samples to show people (by the way, although I made a business card....I don't plan on giving them away.....I'm keeping them to show people the rainbow of colors, textures and material types).

Dave Johnson29
02-28-2009, 3:35 PM
Thanks Guys,

Larry: :D I am overwhelmed with JDS array, I think I would faint ;) if I had to make a decision from even more choices. I will check the Rowmark site anyway.

Mike: That's exactly the information I was after.

Steve: I had not thought of samples. I will get on that Monday.

Larry Bratton
02-28-2009, 6:39 PM
Thanks Guys,

Larry: :D I am overwhelmed with JDS array, I think I would faint ;) if I had to make a decision from even more choices. I will check the Rowmark site anyway.

Mike: That's exactly the information I was after.

Steve: I had not thought of samples. I will get on that Monday.
Dave:
I too am somewhat overwhelmed (in general):) However, point being that Rowmark's site gives a whole bunch of information about their products that your not going to find on JDS's catalogue info. I buy from JDS because they have a warehouse within 20 miles of me..same day pickup..can't beat it, but sometimes have to go to another way because they don't stock a product I need.

Mike Null
03-01-2009, 8:19 AM
Rowmark also offers a good web site and tech support if you have questions about applications.

I forgot to mention that I bevel nearly all my name tags of 1/16 thickness.

Dave Johnson29
03-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Thanks Guys,

I checked Rowmark yesterday and will go back again today and read some more.

Michael Hunter
03-02-2009, 9:59 AM
Lasermax is pretty good, but Multigraph/Metalgraph is significantly better (though with a very limited colour range). Not much more expensive (here in the UK).
If you go for Multigraph White ("Northstar")-over-Black, the gloss finish version is better, as the matt type is difficult to clean up after cutting.

Dave Johnson29
03-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Lasermax is pretty good, but Multigraph/Metalgraph is significantly better
the gloss finish version is better, as the matt type is difficult to clean up

Hi Michael,

Great information, thank you.

This is what I need so I do not have to do all this discovery for myself. Learning from others experience is the best approach to my way of thinking.

Much appreciated.

Mike Null
03-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Another thing I forgot to mention. The silver and gold come in gloss and matte finishes. I carry both in the gold. Gloss only for silver.

Dave Johnson29
03-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks Mike.