PDA

View Full Version : What do you pay for kiln dried cherry?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-28-2009, 12:46 PM
The LOML who starts drawing SS next month and continues to work to pay for my shop......has been wanting a shaker style candle stand or similar style. Recently she saw the NYW program where Norm made Martha Washington's candlestand. And the LOML said "I want". So I was surprised how quickly they got the plans to me!:o

I priced 8/4 kiln dried cherry at the closest place within 100 miles and they want $9.80 / bd. ft.

My 1-ton 4WD Ford F-350 get's 11 mpg. It'll have to be cheap to justify the gasoline to drive 100 miles....

Brian Effinger
02-28-2009, 12:51 PM
You probably don't need all that much lumber for the candle stand. Does your wife's car get better mileage? If so, take her's. Its for her anyway :)
Of course you could always order it. I have heard good things about Niagara Lumber, but have never had a chance to get there. 8/4 to Lewiston, ID would be $7.85 per bf. Just a thought.

Robert Parrish
02-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Wall lumber has # 1 common 4/4 cherry on special for $250 per 100 ft plus freight charges. Their 8/4 is $5.75. They also ship 20 feet or less via UPs

Alex Shanku
02-28-2009, 1:39 PM
I pay $4/bf for 8/4x 10-12"x120" cherry. Rough.

Which, when cleaned up yields about 8-10" wide board. (I trim out the sap wood)

Gene E Miller
02-28-2009, 1:59 PM
Greetings and Salutations,

I have purchased a total of 800 BF of cherry from Twin Oaks Mill in Ada Missouri and their price for 4/4 select rough.

Their price is $3.50 BF and I have always driven up there and picked up my stuff but they will ship and they do have a website you can check out.

The web site is TwinOaksMill dot com if you are interested

Gene

Larry Edgerton
02-28-2009, 2:39 PM
LL Johnson Lumber has select and better 8/4 for 5.71 at the 100bd. ft breaking point.

But we have cherry trees here, I don't see too many in Idaho......

If you are going to order out, Pennsylvania has the best cherry. Johnsons gets theirs from there last I checked, but I wouldn't swear to it now, its been about a year.

John Thompson
02-28-2009, 3:56 PM
I pay $4/bf for 8/4x 10-12"x120" cherry. Rough.

Which, when cleaned up yields about 8-10" wide board. (I trim out the sap wood)

When you say you are paying $4 a board foot for 8/4.. I assume you are paying $4 a board foot and the 8/4 would be charged to how many actual board feet are in the rough 8/4 board. But.. if you are paying $2 a board foot for rough 4/4.. I will take a ride to Cookeville if you would reveal the source. Either way... that is a good price but $2 a board foot is a fantastic price and worth the gas to go get.

Sarge..

Greg Cuetara
02-28-2009, 5:55 PM
There is a local place down in New Hampshire that has cherry 'seconds' for $2.40 / bdft. It is skip planed to 7/8". 8/4 is $6.40.

Is there someone in the PA area who could buy you some and then ship it out to you? Might be cheaper in the long run but it will take some time to get to you.

Tom Klass
02-28-2009, 7:43 PM
Brian,
Niag. lumber has some great cherry I deal with them a lot. the only thing is that if you need the board longer then 8 ft. you're out of luck. They're usually under 8 ft. but color and grain are fairly consistent through out the rack. They also don't have an issue with you sorting through the pile. Ken they do ship but I would hate to guess the cost of shipping for something that heavy especially with the fuel surcharge now adays.
Tom

Jim Becker
03-01-2009, 11:13 AM
$4.50-$9.00, depending on "what" it is. The latter, obviously is either figured or premo quarter sawn.

Earl Reid
03-01-2009, 11:32 AM
The past few yrs I'v been paying $.90 bd ft for cherry shorts 4' -5' 6' bundles. Thickness 1 - 1/4" A good mix.
I haven't been there for a couple of Yrs. This is in
Middlefield, Oh. I'v never built anything that needed anything longer. They also have 8' and longer lenths.

Earl:)

Brian Effinger
03-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Brian,
Niag. lumber has some great cherry I deal with them a lot. the only thing is that if you need the board longer then 8 ft. you're out of luck. They're usually under 8 ft. but color and grain are fairly consistent through out the rack. They also don't have an issue with you sorting through the pile. Ken they do ship but I would hate to guess the cost of shipping for something that heavy especially with the fuel surcharge now adays.
Tom

Tom,
I think that the price I quoted included shipping. I looked up an Idaho zip, and went to their website and input it in their pricing section. If you were to put in your zip or mine, the price would be less. One of these days, I'll have to make a trip down to the southtowns and visit them.

Brian

Brett Robson
03-02-2009, 8:39 AM
Brian,
Tom

Not to hijack, but thanks Tom for the tip on this place! I just ordered a bunch of QSWO from them. Their prices include the shipping. Buying from them was no more expensive than what I would pay locally here in Colorado and I don't have to drive across town to get it!

Chip Lindley
03-02-2009, 9:02 AM
You really had me goin! Thats AVA, Mo. (Ada = typo) I've lived in MO for 38 yrs and never heard of Ada! Wheww!

Prashun Patel
03-02-2009, 9:10 AM
Ken,
Check out Hearne Hardwoods. They have these hobbyist bundles that they ship via Internet. The cherry ones start at 15BF bundles. Expensive, but it's milled to your specs.

I've spoken with (but not ordered from) them in the past and they're very helpful and knowledgeable...

http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/xcart/home.php?cat=3&sort=title&sort_direction=0&page=2

Scott Loven
03-02-2009, 9:14 AM
I paid $.60b/f for some cherry a few years back. I had a cherry tree that died in my yard so I hauled the logs to a guy with a Band saw mill who cut it up for me for $.20/bf. He had about 200bf drying in his yard that he sold for $.60 a bf. It wasn't great wood, I am probably getting 50% yield out of it.
Scott

David Keller NC
03-02-2009, 10:23 AM
"I priced 8/4 kiln dried cherry at the closest place within 100 miles and they want $9.80 / bd. ft."

I use a fair amount of cherry, and I would comment that the price of cherry, more than most any other domestic hardwood (other than figured maple), very sensitively depends on the quality.

While you can occasionally luck into a very good price for high quality cherry from a cabinet shop that's going under, you should be suspicious of cherry for less than about $8 a b.f. Cherry priced considerably less than this amount generally cannot be graded FAS because of large/large number of knots, narrow width, and/or high amounts of sapwood.

This is your choice, of course, but for what you're building a glued-up top looks really, really out of place, as would the presence of knots or sapwood.

What I'd say here is either partner with some of your local woodworking buddies and order several hundred board feet from Irion Lumber (who, by the way, will easily have the width you need to make a solid top), in which case you can order it sight unseen with confidence, or don't buy it unless you can see it in person. There's always a lot of "deals" on Craig's List in my area for very cheap walnut, cherry, oak, etc..., and most of it is only usable for firewood.

Darius Ferlas
03-02-2009, 10:30 AM
I bought 200 bf of 6/4 cherry for $2.00/bf and 200 bf of walnut for the same price. Cherry yields about 80% of usable wood, walnut is much better, with very little waste.

Dave Avery
03-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Brian,
Tom

I've had pretty good luck with Niagara........ www.niagaralumber.com. Put in your zip and they calculate the total cost shipped.

Rick Huelsbeck
03-02-2009, 12:31 PM
I found a guy on craigslist (http://louisville.craigslist.org/mat/1032840137.html)(link included for you local guys) that has kiln dried depending on the quality for:

Cherry 4.50, 3.50, 1.50