PDA

View Full Version : Is the Lee Valley "Striking Knife" a good marking tool?

Greg L. Brown
02-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Is this "striking knife" a good tool to buy: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=60044&cat=1,42936

Is this the same as a "marking knife"? It makes sense to use a marking knife (instead of a pencil) in many cases. Is that what this is used for?

Thanks,
Greg

Rod Sheridan
02-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Hi, I have that marking knife and like it very much.

It works great except for the smallest areas, then I use an Exacto knife.

Regards, Rod.

Thomas Pender
02-28-2009, 11:02 AM
I have had one for several years. Maybe I am a tad clumsy, but I have had as much luck with an awl, a pencil, etc. I have used it to mark, but it is not the best grip, IMHO. It is easy to sharpen and keeps and edge well. I use it for all kinds of things.

Bill Huber
02-28-2009, 11:07 AM
I think its the same but to me I just can not see spending $20 for a marking knife when I can sharpen a pocket knife or break a old kitchen knife off and then grind them flat on one side and put an edge on the other.

Mike Henderson
02-28-2009, 11:33 AM
It's okay - I have it - but I prefer Japanese marking knives. You have to buy two because they're right (http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&dept_id=13221) and left (http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&dept_id=13219) handed, but they work better for me.

The ones I have are 1/2" wide and I've always felt they are a good size. Buy the lowest cost ones - they're more than adequate. The more expensive ones may not have any better steel but may have artistic design in the tool.

Mike

Brent Smith
02-28-2009, 11:36 AM
Hi Greg,

I don't think it's a 'bad' tool (does LV make any bad tools?). I own one of it's predecessors, the Veritas marking knife. I use it on straight forward stuff, but find it a bit bulky to use in tight or delicate situations. I prefer an Exacto knife for those things (DTs, tracing patterns etc.). If all you're doing with it are straight lines such as laying out simple M&T joints it will serve admirably.

John Thompson
02-28-2009, 11:42 AM
I prefer an Exacto and have one with a thin handle for tight spots and one with a fatter handle. Both are valuable and replacement blades are cheap.

Sarge..

Darl Bundren
02-28-2009, 1:09 PM
I have that knife and like it a bunch. I've only laid out basic 90 degree marks like for M&T joints or cutting off, but the accuracy is excellent when you use it in conjunction with a ruler and a square. Ergonomically, I like it better than the Xacto knives I own.

Bernie Wynia
02-28-2009, 1:26 PM
I haven't had mine long, but here are my thoughts.
Upsides:
- it has one flat side, so you can mark right next to your straight-edge.
- it's sturdy enough you can use if for cleaning out dove-tails etc.
- I find it a very comfortable size / shape
- the short blade is easy to sharpen to a chisel-quality edge
- since it's sharp on both edges of the blade, you can use it in either direction/hand.

Downsides:
- since it's sharp on both edges of the blade, you can easily cut yourself on the "back" of the blade if using it for more "structural" work than marking
- it's hard to keep it from rolling off the workbench and ruining the blade or your toe (I should probably flatten one part of the handle, but haven't gotten around to that).

Dave Lehnert
02-28-2009, 3:29 PM
I got one just like that from Harbor Freight for like $5.

I will snap a pic next time in the shop.

Joe Scharle
02-28-2009, 3:54 PM
I got one of the Gladstone ceramic striking knives a while back. Won't seem to dull.
Tried a pic...didn't take.

Thomas Williams
02-28-2009, 3:56 PM
I have not tried the LV striking knife, but use a similar one made by Pfiel. I like the spear point shape for most tasks.

Jim Becker
02-28-2009, 4:03 PM
I have the previous version of that one which carried the Veritas name. It's a good tool...and the current version should be, too. If you like that style of marking knife, of course.

jim gossage
02-28-2009, 5:35 PM
There was a nice review of marking knives in the FWW May 2008 issue.