PDA

View Full Version : Do I need an attitude adjustment?

stacey martin
02-28-2009, 9:02 AM
If this needs to be deleted I under stand. In an other forum site run by a magazine, I said. "I was in Lowe's today just looking around and saw some porter cable combo kits on display. Man do they look like cheap tools. If I was looking to buy I think I would look at craftsman before I bought". Then they closed my Thread because it didn't contain a woodworking question, which is against policy. This really rubbed me the wrong way, you can go there every day and fine threads that do not contain a woodworking question. I know you cant catch every thread either. It does sound like a tool bash but not intended that way. I'm disappointed in the tools if that is there new models. I guess I should of worded things differently. I need to get over it, I feel better all ready.
Stacey

Jim Becker
02-28-2009, 10:40 AM
It's important to remember that forum sites are privately owned resources and their individual rules apply just as SMC's rules apply here. If there is ever any question about how to utilize the resource, it's my experience that moderators are very good about providing help when you contact them privately. The particular site you experienced the issue is very specific about enforcing the "must be a question" rule for a variety of reasons. I know that because I was a moderator there for nearly five years and in the particular area that you undoubtedly was posting. We were required by the owners to enforce the rules quite specifically.

I think that you'll find that SMC, while certainly enforcing our rules, is a pretty good place to hang out!

Jim
SMC Moderator

James Jaragosky
02-28-2009, 11:12 AM
If this needs to be deleted I under stand. In an other forum site run by a magazine, I said. "I was in Lowe's today just looking around and saw some porter cable combo kits on display. Man do they look like cheap tools. If I was looking to buy I think I would look at craftsman before I bought". Then they closed my Thread because it didn't contain a woodworking question, which is against policy. This really rubbed me the wrong way, you can go there every day and fine threads that do not contain a woodworking question. I know you cant catch every thread either. It does sound like a tool bash but not intended that way. I'm disappointed in the tools if that is there new models. I guess I should of worded things differently. I need to get over it, I feel better all ready.
Stacey

So you can only ask a question on this site?
what if you find a new use for a old tool and want os share it with the group?
or you were at a w.w. show and saw the most amazing new finishing system;
Are you required to wait until someone asks about it?

Most likely they have worries about funding and sponsors, free sites are Not free. nor free speech unrestricted.
Jim J

Brent Smith
02-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Hi Stacey,

That's the nice thing about a forum like the Creek, independently owned as opposed to owned by a magazine. The magazine sites, whether they want to admit it or not, have to be protective of their advertisers. I administrated one such site for a few years, so I know of what I speak. On an independent site, as long as you stay within the board guidelines and rules, you can find more open and honest reviews of tools that just don't make the grade. That's not to say that bashing a company or their products is good manners anywhere, but you're more likely to find out about the bad products or bad customer service, from all companies, on independent forums.

stacey martin
02-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Hi Stacey,

That's the nice thing about a forum like the Creek, independently owned as opposed to owned by a magazine. The magazine sites, whether they want to admit it or not, have to be protective of their advertisers. I administrated one such site for a few years, so I know of what I speak. On an independent site, as long as you stay within the board guidelines and rules, you can find more open and honest reviews of tools that just don't make the grade. That's not to say that bashing a company or their products is good manners anywhere, but you're more likely to find out about the bad products or bad customer service, from all companies, on independent forums.

This is what I thought was going on.
Stacey

Ken Fitzgerald
02-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Stacey.....any communications company like a television, newspaper or magazine is going to be very careful about protecting their advertisement base and customers. This is especially true during the current economic times. Even the great "Rocky Mountain News" I delivered some 40 years ago in Craig, CO folded yesterday. Even here at the Creek when rants go on about manufacturers, we occasionally will hear about it from the manufacturers. That is why you often see us demand proof and stick to the facts. If a rant is based on fact...this t/s delivered and it had a broken bladeguard...for example....that's factual........I saw these tools and to me they appeared cheaply made......that lands in a gray area where it's more of an opinion based observation but not on experience....Now if you said "I bought one of these XYZ gizmos even though they looked cheaply made. I wasted my money as the shroud broke.....the blade was bent and they want me to send it to Katmandu on my dimes for warrantee repair and/or replacement." This statement is based more on facts. As a result, the last statement is less likely to get edited or deleted.

Having to moderate this kind of stuff really isn't fun. We Moderators here at the Creek, are invited to be Moderators by the Moderator team .....we are unpaid volunteers......at times we take a lot of grief from those we have to reprimand.....and most of us really don't like to come off looking like we are sword wielding jerks. We arent'....we are just trying our best to allow the membership to communicate with each other within the rules as established by the Terms Of Service (TOSs). If anyone wonders...scroll down to the bottom of any page......Terms Of Service....click and read if you haven't already.