PDA

View Full Version : Cradles Pic

Jim Guy
07-13-2004, 3:55 PM
Found out a few weeks ago I'll be grandpa for the first time in December. After my son and daughter-in-law pick one out, the other goes to my nephew. - One Cherry, one oak.
Cherry has garnet shellac only. Oak has Rockler's Mission Oak Gel stain and then shellac.
Thanks for viewing.

Greg Heppeard
07-13-2004, 3:57 PM
Awesome job on what will become a treasured heirloom I'll bet. I like the little turn down on the rockers...looks a lot more stable that way

Kurt Aebi
07-13-2004, 4:08 PM
Looks Great, Nice Joinery!

It will be a treasured heirloom for sure, thanks for sharing!

Awesome Jim!

Jason Tuinstra
07-13-2004, 4:23 PM
Great job, grandpa! They are both outstanding. I'd have a hard time picking. Okay, not really. I'd pick the cherry one. :D I can't wait for the day when I can build these kinds of gifts. It must be very gratifying.

Jack Hogoboom
07-13-2004, 4:26 PM
Jim,

Beautiful work. Can you tell us about the dovetails? How do you cut them if they are angled like that? I remember Norm building a similar crib, but I don't remember how he did the dovetails.

Thanks,

Jack

Jim Guy
07-13-2004, 4:31 PM
Jack - Theres no trick to the dovetails at all. You just cut your piece of wood at the angle you wish. I'm still pretty new at this, so I made certain my pieces were a little larger that I needed. The Leigh jig did the rest.

Michael Ballent
07-13-2004, 5:44 PM
Nothing like a nice production run to make things go smoothly :D Nice work.

John Lach
07-13-2004, 5:50 PM
Those are some beautiful cradles. I hope you signed then somewhere so in 50 years or so your great - great grandkids will know who made them.

John

Doug Jones
07-13-2004, 5:59 PM
Truely impressive.