PDA

View Full Version : Where to get rubber roller from planer reconditioned?

Noah Levy
02-27-2009, 10:14 PM
I have a 15" planer that has a rubber outfeed roller. It's pretty chewed up and needs to be reconditioned. I was wondering if someone could suggest a good place to send it out for recon?

Thanks!

Noah

george wilson
02-27-2009, 10:18 PM
What brand? Can't you get a new one? Cost of reconditioning it would exceed the cost of a new one,probably. Give the brand. A lot of the Asian ones are likely interchangable.

Noah Levy
02-27-2009, 10:41 PM
It's a Bridgewood, and yes, it's a generic Taiwanese planer. Wilkie doesn't sell the rubber one anymore just the metal one used in all the others (Jet, Powermatic, Grizz, etc). I like the rubber over the metal, hence, getting this one recond. Delta made a rubber roller for their 15" a while back but it won't fit the B-wood. There are plenty of places that do this sort of thing, but I'd prefer to send it to a place in which someone has had success in the past.

Paul Greathouse
02-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Noah,

Are you wanting to change it because its chewed up or because its not feeding well?

I had a feed problem before with a rubber roller after running a bunch of pine. I was searching for a replacement thinking I had a wear problem and some one suggested cleaning it with paint thinner. After closer inspection, the roller did in fact have a very thin hard to detect coating of pine resin.

I cleaned it with paint thinner/mineral spirits and it started feeding good as new.

This may not be your problem but I just thought I would suggest it.

Noah Levy
02-27-2009, 11:34 PM
Thanks Paul. It is chewed up and needs to be recond. I'm thinking polyureathane actually.

Tony Joyce
02-28-2009, 8:58 AM
Try here for the Poly-Urethane rollers.

http://www.finzerroller.com/GeneralOverview.htm

or

http://www.westernroller.com/products.html

I have used Western Rollers on a molder for years and they have given great service.
Keep in mind there are different durometers of rollers.

Tony Joyce

Noah Levy
02-28-2009, 9:48 AM
Tony, Thanks! I had been looking for Western Roller but for some reason, I just wasn't getting a hit on Google. I'm not clear what you mean by "different durometer" but I'm sure they can get me up to speed.

Thanks again!

Noah

Mikail Khan
02-28-2009, 9:57 AM
I'm not clear what you mean by "different durometer"

Thanks again!

Noah

Different hardness

Tom Cross
02-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Western Roller does a fabulous job. You can find them here:

http://www.westernroller.com/
541-382-5643
Bend, Oregon

In 2001, they recovered my worn out Makita 2030 planer/jointer rollers. Cost was $67.62 per roller plus freight. Cost of new rollers from Makita at the time was $135.52 per roller plus freight. Thus, half the price to recover the rollers. They looked brand new after recovering and have been "going and going" for eight years now with little sign of wear. I have had the Makita 2030 for 25 years so the rollers lasted 17 years before needing recovering. I use it a lot.

These folks really know their stuff.