PDA

View Full Version : Air-lift assembly table (GLOAT!)

Ryan Bess
02-27-2009, 7:31 PM
Hi guys!

Thought I'd share a couple pics of my new baby.

I'm so excited. It's always been a thorn in my side to have to work at the same elevation for every project. I've seen so many inventive and inspirational ideas on this site...I thought it would be appropriate to share my own. Maybe someone else will take this idea, and improve and expand upon it!

I'm very fortunate to have a friend that owns a metal fabrication shop. He jumped at the chance to try something new.

BTW, if anyone in the IL area falls in love with this, he did say he would be willing to build a few more...PM me for further info.

The beast weighs about 500 lbs and uses a 12 ton air-asist hydraulic jack. From there, it is a basic (and overbuilt) scissor lift. We put over a half ton on the table and lifted it with 90 lbs of air pressure. The top is a torsion box - David Marks 1/2 inch MDF design.

Lowest work height is 14 inches and highest is 50 inches.

Thanks for looking!

Ryan

William OConnell
02-27-2009, 7:33 PM
SSwwwweeeeeeetttt:)

frank shic
02-27-2009, 7:39 PM
how much did it cost? that would make a great outfeed table as well if you had to cut lots of cabinet parts on a daily basis.

Keith Hall
02-27-2009, 7:40 PM
Ryan, My only emotion is envy. I looked at these for years and couldn't justify the cost for me to own one. I thought the lift would be great to stack sheet goods in front of the table saw and EASILY fed them for cutting. Good gloat. keith:D

Jim O'Dell
02-27-2009, 7:43 PM
That be COOL!!! Looks like your friend did a great job. Put a sticker on it and it could have come off the shelf! Jim.

keith ouellette
02-27-2009, 7:46 PM
Thats not the type of thing I could build out of scrap metal and wood in my shop. Heck! I doubt I could build that with any amount of material in any shop.
Nice job.

Ryan Baker
02-27-2009, 7:53 PM
I love it. I've thought of doing something like that.

Andy McCormick
02-27-2009, 8:03 PM
What are the table demensions? How smoothly does it go up and down?

guy knight
02-27-2009, 8:07 PM
wow very nice wish i had room for one

David Christopher
02-27-2009, 8:12 PM
Man, that shop is way too clean. BTW nice lift

Calvin Crutchfield
02-27-2009, 8:28 PM

+1

BTW you suck!

Ryan Bess
02-27-2009, 8:31 PM
Thanks for all the compliments. I'll be sure to pass them along to the fabricator.

My buddy said retail for the lift table would be about $800. He made me promise not to mention what my "friend discount" was! I know it's a lot of cash, but it's the last assembly table I'll ever need.

I think it's fun that each person who sees it thinks immediately of something they'd use it for.

The table is 42" x 96".

Dave Avery
02-27-2009, 8:42 PM
Cool lift..... and that's not a shop, it's a CLEAN ROOM!

Bruce Page
02-27-2009, 9:22 PM
That's pretty darn slick!

Mark Bolton
02-27-2009, 9:28 PM
Looks like an ATV lift to me? Handy as he)( for sure

Mark

Ryan Bess
02-27-2009, 9:34 PM
I think my metal guy actually used a motorcycle lift table for inspiration...

As to an earlier question: The lift is pretty smooth going up, with just a little vibration from the air pulses. Going down it's ultra smooth, just a slow release of pressure in the hydraulic jack. Takes about 15 seconds to lift from min to max height.

Bill Zollinger
02-27-2009, 9:52 PM
Looks good. Are there mechanical safty catches, or is it always supported by air? Bill Z

John Sanford
02-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Looks schaweet!

It is very similar to a M/C lift. In fact, I'm pretty sure you could purchase an M/C lift, and then build a removable "assembly top" for it. Of course, if you don't actually intend to ever use it for working on a motorcycle (perish the thought!!), then skipping the "removable" aspect may be in order.

Its given me an ideeerrr..... ;)

Don Eddard
02-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Looks nice in the showroom. Got any pics of it in your shop? :)

glenn bradley
02-27-2009, 10:52 PM
That is sweet.

Richard Dragin
02-27-2009, 11:00 PM
In the first picture, there is something on the floor under the table in the background. HA HA!

Mark Norman
02-27-2009, 11:00 PM
Them I'll be impressed;)

Looks real handy none the less..Good Job on the fabrication!

Mark Bolton
02-27-2009, 11:02 PM
I think my metal guy actually used a motorcycle lift table for inspiration...

As to an earlier question: The lift is pretty smooth going up, with just a little vibration from the air pulses. Going down it's ultra smooth, just a slow release of pressure in the hydraulic jack. Takes about 15 seconds to lift from min to max height.

I wondered. What may be necessary in time is a lock of some sort. Almost every piece of air or hydraulic operated equipment begins to "leak off" over time. Especially as the system wears the seals and tolerances in the system begin to loosen. Depending on the weight on the table you may see the table drop in minutes or hours. You may leave the table at night and come back to find it down on the floor.

Some sort of a mechanical lock would be the only way to counter this.

I dont mean to take the wind out of your sails as it is a fantastic addition to the shop. As I said initially, handy as he((.

Mark

Ryan Bess
02-27-2009, 11:15 PM
I agree with you Mark Bolton, on the lock idea.

If I set the table at max height, it will settle about 1/4" every 24 hours.

Not a big deal now, but as the hydraulic jack (bleed valve?) wears over time, it may allow the table to settle at a faster rate.

Anyone have a locking mechanism idea?

I wonder what the ATV and Motorcycle jacks use to lock position?

Victor Stearns
02-28-2009, 4:22 PM
Kinda makes me want to get out the welder!
Very Nice
Victor

Jim Becker
02-28-2009, 4:26 PM
Ryan, that is wonderful! No question in my mind, an assembly table that is adjustable in height by any means is an asset...yours is cream of the crop!

Joe Mioux
02-28-2009, 5:03 PM
i have always wanted one of them for work.... but i really would like it for my home workshop.

i may be in touch sometime this summer.

joe

Jim Kountz
02-28-2009, 5:48 PM

Yes way too clean, now get out there and make some mess you're making the rest of us look bad!!

Way cool lift, that thing would sure save the ol back some pain!!

Mike Wilkins
03-01-2009, 1:33 PM
That is really nice. Only thing I would add is some high-quality locking casters for mobility. And some sawdust on the floor. That place looks cleaner than a hospital operating room.

Dave Lehnert
03-01-2009, 9:30 PM
Looks GREAT! But you should clean your shop. It's a mess LOL!!!

Harbor Freight has this lift for $439.00 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94121
They also have a manual model for $379 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91764

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/94100-94199/94121.gif

Ryan Bess
03-02-2009, 10:25 AM
OK, OK, OK.

The next pictures I post of my shop will have some dust somewhere....

Aaron Berk
03-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Way cool assemble table, you suck. :D:D

Wheres the mobile base?
As for locking at the desired height, you could pre drill holes through the top horizontal rail where the scissor mechanism slides and stick a pin through. Then you just pump up past your pin, slide in pin, then release pressure so weight is always on pins (one on right and left side) That way you would never be relying on pressure to hold you up, it would always be a guaranteed mechanical support with failure not being an option. We had this type of pin lock on aviation maintenance platforms that held people, I've done work on these type scissor lifts (biggier scale than your assemble table) and have personaly seen hydrolic systems fail without notice and the whole platform come crashing down. SCARY! SCARY! STUFF!

Terry Brogan
03-02-2009, 4:37 PM
Rand has units in the $300-600 range that support 400-1500 lbs. Range of sizes. They don't look anywhere near as strong as this one, though.

http://www.randmh.com/mobile-scissor-lift-table-3kr46/real-steals/

Ryan Bess
03-02-2009, 7:18 PM
Just as a tip for anyone following the link Terry posted...

That exact table can be purchased at Farm & Fleet for around $150. I actually have that table and it works well for moving stock around the shop and assembling small projects.

Keith Weber
01-23-2010, 3:33 AM
Nice Table Ryan.

I've been planning on building something similar when I get some time. How sturdy is the table (ie. how much does it rock when pushed) when it is at the upper end of its travel?

I would definitely incorporate some kind of safety feature for a hydraulic blowout. The thought of that table falling down and taking off your kneecaps on the way gives me the creeps.