PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted...

David Sparks
02-27-2009, 6:38 PM
I've been dreaming of having a cyclone dust collector for a long time and have done quite a bit of shopping around. I don't have the money for the cyclone and all the ductwork right now. Oneida has this package on sale now, and I was wondering what you all thought of it. I don't mind dragging the hose around until I can afford the ductwork. I had thought of putting this cyclone on a mobile base until I figure out the best place for it. I rarely run more than one machine at a time. I will appreciate any opinions or advice.

Here's the link: http://store.oneida-air.com/v-3000recessionbusterpackage.aspx

Tony De Masi
02-27-2009, 6:46 PM
David, I guess depending of the size of your shop would depend on whether you would need to use a mobile base for the unit. Coming with 20' of hose may allow you to centrally locate the machine and then just splug in to each machine as you need it.

Also, I just purchased this same unit last week, not the special package, and got the schematic and price list for the ducting. I think I will price out some PVC as the metal ducting is incredibly expensive, at least from them.

I hope this machine really SUCKS too.

Tony

george wilson
02-27-2009, 7:03 PM
I like my Oneida Dust Gorilla fine. But,I don't like that it won't turn on more than 3 or 4 times in an hour. the switch keeps the motor from turning on so it won't overheat. Even if I run the unit for a while each time,it still won't turn on more often. maybe they are all like that. Mine is a 2 h.p. unit. Perhaps it needs adjustment. Anyone have experience with this problem? I did get the Baldor motor with higher temperature rating ( it stands higher temps.)

Ed Gibbons
02-27-2009, 7:13 PM
Dust collection is important. If you plan on staying with this hobby, I strongly recommend it. Several years ago I purchased an Oneida Commercial Cyclone and am glad I did. Definitely, I can tell the difference in the quality of air in my basement shop.

However, while I was going through the decision making process, I did not have some of the less expensive options now available.

Buying tools is always fun and I really enjoy the research process. In the end, mistakes I have made was in getting the lesser tool. When I went for the better tool, it always worked out better.

Don't know if my comments have been helplfull. Oneida does make good products and the cyclone you are looking at would do the job.

John Hedges
02-27-2009, 7:48 PM
I like my Oneida Dust Gorilla fine. But,I don't like that it won't turn on more than 3 or 4 times in an hour. the switch keeps the motor from turning on so it won't overheat. Even if I run the unit for a while each time,it still won't turn on more often. maybe they are all like that. Mine is a 2 h.p. unit. Perhaps it needs adjustment. Anyone have experience with this problem? I did get the Baldor motor with higher temperature rating ( it stands higher temps.)

George, I don't know if this may be a problem with the older units. I have a V-3000 and I have turned it on more often per hour than recommended with no problems. Although I find I usually don't come near the limit mentioned when working, just because when using it I tend to run it for a while. The baldors are great motors and will withstand the start and stopping better than the Asian motors, so I always thought this was a funny warning.