PDA

View Full Version : Bosch 1587 top handle jig saw

Paul Ryan
02-27-2009, 6:37 PM
I purchase a used bosch jig saw this weekend that seemed to be in real nice shape it was $20. When I tested it is turned on a ran just fine. I did not have any blades with so I didn't put a blade in it. I got it home and can not get the blade to lock in place. I have read that there are alot of complaints with their quick change system. The saw did not have a blade in it when I started. When I go to put the blade in. I pull up on the release and turned it counter clockwise 2 times. I stuck a blade in turned it 90 degress and lined it up with the roller. Then I am suposed to turn the platic top 3 times clockwise until I hear a click. Well when I turn the top it turns but I never hear a click. I have turned it 20 times and nothing. How does the mechanism work? Does something come down on the blade? Any help would be great. Thanks

Chris Tsutsui
02-27-2009, 7:00 PM
I have one vintage bosch jig saw (Well not exactly vintage, but the early 90's model).

I had to buy new parts to get it to accept a blade because a part was broken.

This may be the case with yours. I got my parts from http://www.ereplacementparts.com/

Here is a link to their parts diagragm for that model, and you can take yours apart to see if you are missing a part or anything is damaged.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/images/bosch/0601587651.pdf

I like to refurbish tools and get good use out of them because it saves them from a landfill.. etc.

Curt Harms
02-27-2009, 8:40 PM
I was turning the blade changing handle and nothing was happening. Read the book :o and found out about lifting the handle to loosen and tighten the blade lock. When I rotate the locking mechanism without lifting it first the handle turns freely. When I rotate the handle in the raised position there is slight but discernible resistance even before the lock gets tight. If you raise and turn the blade locking mechanism and there isn't some resistance you may have a problem IMO.

HTH

Curt

Paul Ryan
02-27-2009, 9:48 PM
I got it fixed guys. I have taken cars apart for most of my life so I shouldn't have been afraid of this. Anyway I took the handle off and took the blade locking mechanism apart too see how it works. I am not sure what the problem was, possibly the rod with the threads on the end, had a lot of resistance threading into what ever it goes into. I cleaned that all out and lubed it, reassembled now it works like a champ, even clicks like it is suposed too. Thanks for the info and advice