PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone received G0690 or G0691?

Sherzod Niazov
02-27-2009, 5:57 PM
Has anyone received the new Grizzly G0690 or G0691?

Could you share any thoughts on the quality? I'm curious where the additional cast iron went... they are much heavier than the older models. The online description was recently corrected, it now says the saws have Leeson motors, which makes it even more attractive.

Jim O'Dell
02-27-2009, 8:20 PM
Has anyone received the new Grizzly G0690 or G0691?

Could you share any thoughts on the quality? I'm curious where the additional cast iron went... they are much heavier than the older models. The online description was recently corrected, it now says the saws have Leeson motors, which makes it even more attractive.

Really??? Leeson motors?????? I knew the Laguna model did. But dog gone, you are right, it does say that. That is so very COOL!!
Yes, there are some out there. One guy had a post with pictures, but I can't find it. Thought it was here at the Creek even, but searched 32 pages and couldn't find it. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the note about the Leeson motor!! Jim.

Mikail Khan
02-27-2009, 9:39 PM
Yes, there are some out there. One guy had a post with pictures, but I can't find it. Thought it was here at the Creek even, but searched 32 pages and couldn't find it.

The post with pics is on woodnet.

Jim O'Dell
02-27-2009, 9:51 PM
The post with pics is on woodnet.

You're right...I just found it a minute ago, though not by using their search engine.:(
Sherzod, I'll pm you the link. Jim.

Bob Luciano
02-27-2009, 10:19 PM
Almost looks like an advertisement to me

Jeremy Rayburn
02-27-2009, 11:48 PM
I got the okay from the wife to buy one, so I will order my G0691 on Monday. Should have it Thursday based on past Griz orders. I'll post pics as soon as I get it up and running. Plan on getting the plug and receptacle tomorrow and installing it.

Mikail Khan
02-28-2009, 8:39 AM
I got the okay from the wife to buy one, so I will order my G0691 on Monday. Should have it Thursday based on past Griz orders. I'll post pics as soon as I get it up and running. Plan on getting the plug and receptacle tomorrow and installing it.

Looking forward to your comments. I would like to buy a new saw this year.

MK

Gary Lange
02-28-2009, 9:33 AM
Jeremy you should have ordered it right away as you don't want to give the wife time to think about it and maybe change her mind.:):):):):):):)

Jeremy Rayburn
02-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Called today, and to my surprise they were open! So even though it won't ship out until Monday, it's too late to turn back now!

Jim O'Dell
02-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Congrats Jeremy! I too am anxious to hear your thoughts. Jim.

Charlie McGuire
02-28-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm eager to get your assessment as well. I have my contractor saw on the selling block down below. Hopefully, somebody somewhere wants it before too long becuase the 691 is on my list to replace it.

Jim O'Dell
02-28-2009, 2:25 PM
Just a thought on the Leeson motor...Is it an American built Leeson, or does Leeson have a line that is made in Asia that has their name on it? I would think it could still be better than the regular Asian built motor with no name on it, but it might not be any different either.
So, anyone with one, or getting one, would you please look at the motor and let us know where it says it is made? Thanks!! Jim.

Jason White
02-28-2009, 4:18 PM
Jim, you've been talking about getting a cabinet saw forever.

PULL THE DAMNED TRIGGER!!
;)

You're right...I just found it a minute ago, though not by using their search engine.:(
Sherzod, I'll pm you the link. Jim.

Jason White
02-28-2009, 5:24 PM
Does anybody know if they offer a cast-iron router table extension wing as an option for this saw?

Jason

Jim O'Dell
02-28-2009, 5:45 PM
Jim, you've been talking about getting a cabinet saw forever.

PULL THE DAMNED TRIGGER!!
;)

Just a little problem.....money....not enough yet!:eek: I figure it will be the end of the year. Will probably have to rely on BD and Christmas money to get me over the hump. I'm just shy of 30% there as we speak. So until then, I live vicariously through those who can pull the trigger now. :D Jim.

edit to add: Spending 300.00 + on clamps in December didn't help either. But I figured I could build something with my Ridgid TS, but the clamps would sure help it go together better. I just WANT the cab saw.

Jeffrey Makiel
02-28-2009, 5:53 PM
I'm not sure if a Leeson motor (or Baldor or Reliance or etc.) is such a big deal in a hobby environment. My Taiwanese motors are over 20 years old with lots of cycles on them. No issues whatsoever.

I also don't see any posts on SMC about a burned out Taiwanese or Chinese mainland motors. If folks are experiencing a problem, they sure are quiet about it. :)

When you think about it, electric motors have been around for over 100 years. They are pretty simple in construction. Also many machines use motors with standard NEMA mounts. This makes it pretty simple to replace. However, there are some unique mounts. Delta Unisaw's motor is one, but you can always have it rewound if need be.

-Jeff :)

Dave Lehnert
02-28-2009, 8:04 PM
I have no idea what the build quality on that saw is but it sure looks like a very good buy. If I did not have my JET I would be looking at it hard.

Jason White
03-01-2009, 8:49 AM
Same here.

Good for you, Jim. Don't go into debt for one. Stick it under the mattress for now and you'll appreciate it that much more when you get it.

Jason

Just a little problem.....money....not enough yet!:eek: I figure it will be the end of the year. Will probably have to rely on BD and Christmas money to get me over the hump. I'm just shy of 30% there as we speak. So until then, I live vicariously through those who can pull the trigger now. :D Jim.

edit to add: Spending 300.00 + on clamps in December didn't help either. But I figured I could build something with my Ridgid TS, but the clamps would sure help it go together better. I just WANT the cab saw.

Rod Sheridan
03-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Just a thought on the Leeson motor...Is it an American built Leeson, or does Leeson have a line that is made in Asia that has their name on it? I would think it could still be better than the regular Asian built motor with no name on it, but it might not be any different either.
So, anyone with one, or getting one, would you please look at the motor and let us know where it says it is made? Thanks!! Jim.

Jim, you sure made me chuckle on this post. The saw's made in Taiwan, yet you're obsessing about whether the motor's made in the US or not.:D

regards, Rod.

Jim O'Dell
03-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Not obsessing.....well maybe!!:D No, if it is an American made Leeson, I think that is just icing on the cake. What other table saws with those features anywhere near that price range would have an American built motor on it? Yes, the Laguna model of the same saw has it, but is also about $450.00 more, and doesn't offer the riving knife, only the blade guard. If it is an Asian motor that Leeson is slapping their name on to have something to compete in the motor market place, then that is probably a more even deal. So much is said about Baldor and Leeson motors, that if it is a mainline Leeson, that would just be a big bonus. Now if they will just offer a 5 hp model. :D Jim.