PDA

View Full Version : picture on a mirror?

Devon Jones
02-27-2009, 4:11 PM
so i have been playing with mirrors today. my work has about 300 of them that are chipped so i was told to do whatever i want on them. is it possible to laser a picture on a mirror?

Tim Bateson
02-27-2009, 4:30 PM
I've done it several times. I just posted one a couple weeks ago:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=104278&highlight=Mirror

Do a search & you'll find several threads dealing with mirrors.

Keys: If you want to paint the back white use a negative image. If you paint the back black use a positive image.
...and don't forget to flip this image.

James & Zelma Litzmann
02-27-2009, 5:02 PM
We too have done several pictures on mirrors. The following link will show you about the biggest one we've done, it was as 36 X 18. The best one we've done is one of my daughter & her husband on their wedding day.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org./showthread.php?t=65650&highlight=Mirror&page=3

Good luck, people seem to love them.

Frank Corker
02-27-2009, 5:15 PM
Devon, recall my pm to you. Use similar settings. Positive image, flipped vertical. Engrave. Paint with black acrylic paint.

onur cakir
02-27-2009, 5:58 PM
Instead of painting from back, i use overpower to crystalize the glass. it looks great when small led lights installed back of the mirror.

Steve Clarkson
02-27-2009, 6:22 PM
Onur.....can you post a picture of one? Do you still engrave from the back?

onur cakir
02-27-2009, 6:40 PM
Onur.....can you post a picture of one? Do you still engrave from the back?

Steve hi,

yes i engrave from back but use %100 power to crystalize mirror to give it a semi-transparent form.

sorry for pic quality...its too hard to take pic of mirror with light, its 01:30 am right now and i'm still engraving lasertile !! what a friday night !

image looks like black glass but its normal mirror.

Dee Gallo
02-27-2009, 7:05 PM
Onur, that's a very interesting effect. Does it look that much different from just removing the backing? Can I assume overpowering makes the glass have a frosted appearance so the lines are not crispy smooth?

How many lights does it take to cover that area, are they LEDs, how are they attached and do you have to put the whole thing into a frame of some sort to keep the light from leaking out the sides??

Thanks, dee

Sheryl Haley
02-27-2009, 7:23 PM
Devon,
This is my first posting of a photo I did of my son on a mirror.
I hope this helps.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=101526&highlight=mirror

Steve Clarkson
02-27-2009, 7:26 PM
Onur, that's a very interesting effect. Does it look that much different from just removing the backing? Can I assume overpowering makes the glass have a frosted appearance so the lines are not crispy smooth?

How many lights does it take to cover that area, are they LEDs, how are they attached and do you have to put the whole thing into a frame of some sort to keep the light from leaking out the sides??

Thanks, dee

Yea.....what Dee said....I have all the same questions!

Plus one......what speed do you use?

onur cakir
02-27-2009, 7:26 PM

Thanks, dee

Hi Dee,

The trick in frosted or sanded effect is when you remove back normally (for colored glass and mirror) you can see its back clearly when you look at it from front face. So when you put it in a frame, color on back cover of the of the frame is seen from front face.

But if you use overpower you get frosted or sanded result and glass or mirror becomes semi-transparent. So only light is seen from front face.

For tabletop accessories i use box type frames so all lightning is placed inside the box and cannot be seen from back.

But for sconce (or aisle) lightning i install lights on back of glass or mirror (i leave an un-engraved part in design) so light comes from glass or mirror and leaks from open sides. I place glass or mirror 2" away from walls.

For box frames i use led straps and for aisle lightning i use halogen lamps.

I'll build 24"x70" panel with light next week, i ll post pics of both inside and outside of it.

onur cakir
02-27-2009, 7:30 PM
Yea.....what Dee said....I have all the same questions!

Plus one......what speed do you use?

Hi Steve, my settings for frosted glass result are S50 P100

onur cakir
02-27-2009, 7:33 PM
Devon,
This is my first posting of a photo I did of my son on a mirror.
I hope this helps.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=101526&highlight=mirror

By the way i get this idea after i saw Sheryl's work on mirror....i used overpower accidentaly :cool:

Steve Clarkson
02-27-2009, 7:38 PM
But for sconce (or aisle) lightning i install lights on back of glass or mirror (i leave an un-engraved part in design) so light comes from glass or mirror and leaks from open sides. I place glass or mirror 2" away from walls.

For box frames i use led straps and for aisle lightning i use halogen lamps.

I'll build 24"x70" panel with light next week, i ll post pics of both inside and outside of it.

Thanks for the settings.

I understand the box frames....but I can't really understand the aisle lighting. You leave an un-engraved part and install halogen lamps on the back? Hmmm....can't picture it.

But I really like the idea and may have to try one this weekend.

Steve Clarkson
02-27-2009, 7:39 PM
By the way i get this idea after i saw Sheryl's work on mirror....i used overpower accidentaly :cool:

Accidents are the mother of invention!

Dee Gallo
02-27-2009, 7:57 PM
Thanks for the settings.

I understand the box frames....but I can't really understand the aisle lighting. You leave an un-engraved part and install halogen lamps on the back? Hmmm....can't picture it.

What Steve said! I love the aisle or sconce idea - very elegant, like an old movie theater. Has anyone cut cheap mirrors into shapes? I'm afraid... I don't like shattering glass, especially mirrors! Don't need any bad luck.

Thanks Onur, dee

onur cakir
02-27-2009, 8:00 PM
Thanks for the settings.

Steve i tried to picture but it looks funny, hope it helps.

Steve Clarkson
02-27-2009, 8:02 PM
What Steve said! I love the aisle or sconce idea - very elegant, like an old movie theater. Has anyone cut cheap mirrors into shapes? I'm afraid... I don't like shattering glass, especially mirrors! Don't need any bad luck.

Thanks Onur, dee

Funny you should ask! I engraved a shape on the back of a mirror (basically an oval) and I had bought a glass cutter.......SHATTERED it! Haven't tried one since!

Steve Clarkson
02-27-2009, 8:04 PM
I get it now.....thanks!

Tim Bateson
02-27-2009, 8:22 PM
I've cut several larger mirrors down for smaller gifts. The trick to using a glass cutter are:
1. Lube the cutter before every use - I use WD40.
2. Use a straight edge - I use a drywall T
3. Press firmly with the cutter, but you don't need too much pressure. A little scratch goes a long way.
4. Place a thin maybe 1/8 thick ruler or piece of wood under and just slightly off to the side of the scratch. Insure you scratch all of the way through both ends.
5. Press firmly down on the glass and most of the time you'll get a clean break.
6. Repeat for the proper size square or rectangle.
7. Insure you thoroughly vacuum any glass fragments that may be as small as dust.

I could use some good suggestions for cleaning up the edges.

Dee Gallo
02-27-2009, 8:34 PM
I've cut several larger mirrors down for smaller gifts.

I could use some good suggestions for cleaning up the edges.

Sorry, I meant with your laser... I've done a lot of hand glass cutting (used to make stained glass lamps and windows). If you want a perfectly smooth edge, you need a wet grinder - it's the best thing for that, especially if you have curved shapes. I've used it on ceramic tiles too. You can use wet/dry sandpaper, but it's slow.

cheers, dee

John W. Love
02-27-2009, 9:05 PM
I used to work for a glass company...when they cut mirrors and want smooth edges they use belt sanders and sand them (at least the company I worked for did). I know they would use a rougher belt first then a finer one but I don't know the grits off the top of my head since I didn't actually do that type of work just watched the guys do it hundreds of times lol

~Alicia

Duane Parcells
02-28-2009, 10:14 AM
24 by 36 picture with 2 problems. The black band at the bottom was caused by the usb driver I WAS using. Large files apparently don't do well with usb. Laser just stopped with about a half inch to go. Almost two and a half hour run and fail. Tried to fix it by running the job bottom up the next day. Should have done it as soon as it quit on me. I bought this file for laser tile and just read the terms on it. Image is for laser tile only so this one can't be used.
Look for quality mirrors. High contrast black and white pictures. Mirrors are very hard to photgraph. This picture has a reflection of my ceiling texturing so you imagine it much clearer in person.

John W. Love
02-28-2009, 2:30 PM
That's awesome Duane! John's gonna love it when he sees it...he loves eagles :)

John W. Love
03-01-2009, 12:57 AM
Ok, this is John and I just got home from a baby shower, and Alicia was at work. What is wrong with this picture?

Now speaking of Pictures... Duane, that is simply stunning. I am trying to grasp how that is done on a mirror. I looked at over and over and I am stunned. I have done a couple of things on mirrors, but that was when we first started and I just blew it off as something that would never look that good. Boy was I wrong.
Now for the secrets... cough em up! did you spray paint the back black after you engraved it? how did you get the full grayscale of the picture? I gotta know!!!!!!!!! =)

And yes, Alicia was correct, I collect eagle statues and figurines and paintings. I am a sucker for that. And that picture is just awesome. Thanks for sharing.

~John

fred sanchez
03-01-2009, 1:06 AM
here is a mirror i enraved it a picture of my mom

engraved the back and applied some white vinyl to the back of it
looks better in person my phone takes crappy pictures.......

Duane Parcells
03-01-2009, 10:30 AM
Hi John

Thank you John. Here are a few more pictures. The texture you see is the reflection off my ceiling.

I use mirrors from Home Depot sold under the Stanley (tool company) brand. They are much thicker glass and higher quality mirror. The drawback with the higher quality mirror is it takes much more power to get a good result. Use the Cherry setting in Photograv and don't forget to flip your image. My laser is 75 watts and to get a consistent result I have to use 100 power at 50 speed. Over 300 dpi, ragged edges developed. Keep the air turned on low to help keep the about to engraved area clear of all the waste, it can buld up and interfere with the beam, but not so high it's blowing up and around your lens on long jobs. Scrub the back with a soft brush and lots of water after engraving. Dry and spray about 4 or 5 coats of Krylon Indoor Outdoor Black High Gloss paint. Make sure whatever paint you use specifies glass. The tiger and leopord eyes get a lot of comments.
Duane

Dave Johnson29
03-01-2009, 10:52 AM
The tiger and leopard eyes get a lot of comments.

Hi Duane,

Those tiger eyes are simply awesome. I am off to HD for paint and mirrors. If I can achieve a quarter of your results I will be on the road to "happy."

Jack Harper
03-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Duane - Nice work. Did you find it difficult to find a power and speed that cleanly removed the back with etching the glass so the paint would come through clearly? Or, does the glass frost and you just paint over the frosted area? Thanks.

Duane Parcells
03-01-2009, 1:21 PM
Hi Jack

I ran tests like the one attached. I have different setups like this for graphics and photo's on different substrates. Saves in the long run.

Bill Cunningham
03-01-2009, 9:34 PM
Hi John

Thank you John. Here are a few more pictures. The texture you see is the reflection off my ceiling.

I use mirrors from Home Depot sold under the Stanley (tool company) brand. They are much thicker glass and higher quality mirror. The drawback with the higher quality mirror is it takes much more power to get a good result. Use the Cherry setting in Photograv and don't forget to flip your image. My laser is 75 watts and to get a consistent result I have to use 100 power at 50 speed. Over 300 dpi, ragged edges developed. Keep the air turned on low to help keep the about to engraved area clear of all the waste, it can buld up and interfere with the beam, but not so high it's blowing up and around your lens on long jobs. Scrub the back with a soft brush and lots of water after engraving. Dry and spray about 4 or 5 coats of Krylon Indoor Outdoor Black High Gloss paint. Make sure whatever paint you use specifies glass. The tiger and leopord eyes get a lot of comments.
Duane

Be careful with that "Lots of Water"! Many mirrors use water soluble paint on the back, and it will flake off or wrinkle and ruin your work..

onur cakir
03-23-2009, 6:51 PM
Here are some additions from my latest construction fair.

Tim Bateson
03-23-2009, 8:46 PM
Great images. How did you do this with a mini24?

John W. Love
03-23-2009, 9:06 PM
Here are some additions from my latest construction fair.
SIMPLY WOW!!!! Everything you post just makes me go WOW Onur!

Steve Clarkson
03-23-2009, 9:41 PM
Great images. How did you do this with a mini24?

I've got the same exact question! My guess is that it's six 12"x24" mirrors somehow put together.

Awesome job Onur!

onur cakir
03-24-2009, 2:42 AM
Thanks for the comments !

I designed 6 individual 12"x24" parts. Designing and etching was the easiest part.

Than i designed 24"x72" metal frame with 1 vertical bay on the middle and 2 horizontal bays on connection points of the glasses. As you see images on glasses are framed like they have empty black parts around them. Thats where the bays go as base.

Than i sent the frame to chrome polisher, and build a box for back covering of the lights on back of the glasses.

I used fish tank non-acided silicone to mount glasses inside the metal frame.

Finally glasses mounted into the chrome polished frame, lights installed into the box and metal frame installed into the box.