PDA

View Full Version : which grinder

curtis rosche
02-27-2009, 3:20 PM
i was searching for a grinder to set up my sharpening jig. here are the 2 that i came across on the other site,

BLACK BULL 3560 RPM 6" BENCH GRINDER WITH FLEX LIGHT $25

or

Ryobi 6 " Bench Grinder. Model BGH616 2.1 amp 3600 RPM 2 Year Warranty $35

which is a better grinder?

Steve Busey
02-27-2009, 3:43 PM
Either one would work, but you might want to keep your eyes open for a slower speed (1800rpm) grinder. It won't wear down your tools as fast or heat damage the tool edge.

Ben Gastfriend
02-27-2009, 4:37 PM
They look pretty similar. I'd go with a slower one, and get 8" wheels if you can. Puts less of a curve on the tools, and they're not much more expensive. Look at Harbor Frieght, maybe.

Bernie Weishapl
02-27-2009, 4:43 PM
Either will work but I would look for a 8" slow speed. 8" is a wider stone and easier to sharpen with. Just my 2 cents.

Rick Moyer
02-27-2009, 8:03 PM
When someone says "slow speed" is that 1725? Or is there something I'm missing? Also I assume variable would be ok.

Ryan Baker
02-27-2009, 8:06 PM
I wouldn't get either. Get an 8" grinder, slow-speed (1725rpm) preferred.

Bob Hallowell
02-27-2009, 8:10 PM
I would suggest an 8" and get a white wheel. Speed is not that important. I had no problem learning on a 3600rpm grinder and have no problem touching up a gouge on it either without removing to much metal, I have always wondered why people always say you need a slow speed. Mine is an old rockwell that was given to me.

Chris Padilla
02-27-2009, 8:13 PM
Woodcraft had their 8" slow-speed on sale for like $89 and free-shipping, I think. I dunno if the sale is still good but head over there and check it out. Mine arrived earlier this week. :D

Gordon Seto
02-27-2009, 9:48 PM
How smooth the grinder runs is much more important than the speed. If the tool is bouncing in and out on the wheel, slow speed is still too fast.
http://oneway.ca/pdf/grind_jig.pdf
Oneway Wolverine manual (bottom of 3rd column in page 1) recommends a 3450 rpm grinder.
Don't push hard, use light touch. Clean and dress the wheel often.

Bernie Weishapl
02-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Woodcraft has 15% off power tools tomorrow. If it is on sale that makes it $75.

Roger Bell
02-27-2009, 10:11 PM
I also recommend the 8" over the 6". I don't think that either one of your choices is that great for turning tools.

I own two 6" grinders in the class of machines you describe. I use them for rough, coarse grinding such as lawn mower blades and for wire wheel cleaning work. In other words, where quality isn't essential.

In terms of speed, I have two asian-import 1725 and one USA high quality unit in 3450. All in 8". These are all used exclusively for turning tools.

I prefer the high quality USA unit with the higher speed by a mile. Speed is no big deal. Other factors are what makes the grinder a pleasure to use and an outstanding performer. Buy the best you can afford. I would consider the Woodcraft 8" as the minimum acceptable quality. It comes with basic good-enough starter stones. Not great stones, but good enough.

Heavier is better. Smoother operation is better.

Quality stones are just as important as the unit itself. These can cost as much as the grinder itself. I don't believe that your suggested models come with quality stones suitable for turning. So factor that into your calculations in terms of overall cash outlay.

scott schmidt grasshopper
02-28-2009, 11:38 AM
I use a delta 6" variable speed grinder with high quality wheels( white) . I work around the reduced curvature by cutting a secondary bevel on the bowl gouges. for me, it was a question of space the 6 in is 4 inches narrower ( in my little shop thats alot. ) and at 6 in and 1750 or so . even slower than a 8in. slow speed. I have a ellsworth jig homemade arm for irish grinds on the BG's and a fold down tool rest for 60' scrapers . other side is TR at 45' for SG's and a step block that does 22.5' for skews. used the original tool rest arms and made larger surface TR's from 3x2 aluminum angle iron very cheap on the whole maybe 60 for the grinder and 5 bucks for the assorted rests/ arms throw in the cost of wheels and the ellworth jig and you have it.
good luck