PDA

View Full Version : Fein Multimaster Question

Greg Johnson
02-27-2009, 2:52 PM
I finally bit the bullet and bought a multimaster. I used the scraper and it did an incredible job. I used the sander on some oak trim and it was incredible..... for about 3 minutes. :( The sandpaper started to move on the pad and would not stay put. The hook and loop on this tool seems a little smooth to me. No matter what I tried, I could not get the sandpaper to stay on. It would sand for 10 seconds and then fall off. I have never had this issue with any other sander.

Has anybody else experienced this, or have any suggestions?

Greg

george wilson
02-27-2009, 2:59 PM
Are you certain that you are using a hook and loop sanding pad? Or is it for PSA sandpaper? I've had a Fein for many years with no trouble at all in that dept.. I did make a better scraper blade out of .042" blue saw blade steel. The stainless one wasn't good at all. I also made a carbide tipped scraper with a piece of 1 1/2" wide carbide brazed onto a scraper. That took paint off an old lathe I was refinishing real well.

P.S.,might sound stupid,but are you using the fuzzy cloth backed sandpaper on the hook and loop pad,or are you using sticky PSA sandpaper on the hook and loop pad? You have to be doing something wrong.

Greg Johnson
02-27-2009, 3:37 PM
Thanks for the reply George.... and I agree, I hope I am doing something wrong. No stupid questions.... I am using the fuzzy back paper. That's all that comes with the TOP kit. I just went out to the shop and brought in the pads and paper. I can stick a new piece on and it is quite difficult to pull off. I put the piece on that I was having trouble with this morning and it's loose enough I could shake it off. I was sanding into an L shape on some molding, so there was light side impact on the paper and maybe that damaged the "fuzz". I have just never had this happen except when the pad itself has worn out. I can't believe that little bit of use could "wear out" the fuzz on the paper.

Greg

Mark Koury
02-27-2009, 5:24 PM
I don’t have too much to add. I have used a Multimaster for years and have not had that problem - FWIW. So something surely is wrong! The tool is great - the cost of accessories is outrageous! Lately though there have been several competitors and I notice the blade prices are less.

Mark