PDA

View Full Version : I love GOoB sales :)

Dan Hintz
02-27-2009, 1:04 PM
That's "Going Out of Business", for those looking like :confused:

Aaron Brothers, a national chain of art framing and supplies, has an odd setup... over 300 stores, all of which are on the west coast except for 3 on the east. Needless to say, their supply chain has been stretched thin for those 3 stores, particularly in these hard times, so they have decided to close them down.

50% off everything! I picked up a 48-pack of the Prismacolor Premier colored pencils for about $30, lots of $1/sheet 2'x3' craft paper for my SO (she loves her scrapbooking), some technical pens and paints, a number of wooden and metal easels for holding granite/marble tiles, etc. I probably spent several hundred $s, and while the prices were only a little better than what I could get on the net (Amazone and the like), it was convenient, I could pick it up to inspect it, and it was available immediately with no shipping charges.

Oh, and they were also selling fixtures, which was my purpose for writing this post in the first place. I was able to pick up the plate glass they use for shelving... they had 2', 3', and 4' long sheets, perfect for etching large images to be framed.

Does anyone know (and would like to share) how to find out about local shops going out of business? I know listings exist when manufacturing shops shut down and the equipment is sold at auction, but local businesses shutting down can lead to some great deals on fixtures and the like.

Joe Pelonio
02-27-2009, 2:33 PM
Goob sales also provide some business for us sign shops. Unfortunately there is no chance for repeat business!

Kim Vellore
02-27-2009, 3:34 PM
Repeat business reminds me of this...
There is a furniture shop near my house and for the past 7 (seven) years they have had a sign that says "going out of Business, ever thing must go, all items marked 50% or less" They are still there and even changed their signs a few times... I guess everything did not go yet...
Kim

Joe Pelonio
02-27-2009, 4:11 PM
There is a furniture shop near my house and for the past 7 (seven) years they have had a sign that says "going out of Business, ever thing must go, all items marked 50% or less" They are still there and even changed their signs a few times... I guess everything did not go yet...
Kim
Are you sure it's not an oriental rug store?

Dan Hintz
02-27-2009, 5:28 PM
Kim
In many jurisdictions, that's illegal and will get your sales permit pulled. When I ran my business in south Florida, the law stated you had 30 days to actually go out of business and stop selling from the time you advertised the first sign. It really cut down on that sort of thing. Here in MD, I see it happen quite a bit with the furniture and rug stores around here (what is it about them?!).