PDA

View Full Version : not a fan of color fill on plexiglass

Devon Jones
02-27-2009, 12:01 PM
does anyone else have a good way to fill plexiglass in with a color that is easy to remove from what you do not want colored? im making drink coasters of my fav movies and do not want to use color fill................

Frank Corker
02-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Use Reeves acrylic paint which can be obtained from most craft shops. Painters use it these days as a good medium instead of oil paint. Works a treat, excellent for perspex/acrylic dries fast and it's water soluable whilst it's wet.

Devon Jones
02-27-2009, 12:05 PM
sweet thanks i will have to pick some up after work thanks again

Gary Hair
02-27-2009, 1:41 PM
The best way is just to mask and laser through the mask for each color. I did a pretty detailed piece a while back and that was the only way I could have done it. It takes a bit of work to get the layering just right and determining which color should go when, but it sure turned out nice.

Gary

George Brown
02-27-2009, 3:45 PM
The best way is just to mask and laser through the mask for each color. I did a pretty detailed piece a while back and that was the only way I could have done it. It takes a bit of work to get the layering just right and determining which color should go when, but it sure turned out nice.

Gary
Picture ?????

Mike Null
02-28-2009, 2:12 PM
Devon

You will find the reverse engraving will give you a frosted appearance to the colors while front engraving will show much better. In this case though reverse engraving seems to be in order.

If you have time try the reverse engraving slightly out of focus. Joe Hayes says he can get a fairly clear engraving by doing that.

Joe Hayes
02-28-2009, 6:40 PM
Devon - as Mike Null said I do quite a bit of reverse engraving and paint fills, mainly for sign work. I suggest you do some test squares on your material pulling out of focus a little at a time. Normally I use 600 dpi and on some material pull out as much as .125. Don't try to overpower the material use just enough to cut through the back paint cleanly. As your optics go out of focus your beam will become more oval and leave a smoother finish without lines. On most reverse materials I can get it to produce a perfect clear engraved area.