PDA

View Full Version : #6 Lateral Adjuster

Jim Koepke
02-27-2009, 12:02 AM
My acquisition of a pre-lateral #6 was mentioned in another thread. It does not need much lateral adjustment, but since there was a little extra time and I felt like a little recreation on the lathe a custom blade whacker was made.

The handle is one of my first chisel handles, made of myrtyle. At the time, my concept of how to turn and what size was wanted was all in limbo. It was a touch big for a paring chisel. The head is from a piece of scrape that someone said was probably lignum vitae.

The handle was chucked in the lathe and the taper for the chisel socket was straightened out. Didn't give it much thought, but when it came off the lathe it calipered to 1/2 inch. So, put a #8, dowelling bit, in the brace and bored a hole in the head. Tried the head on for size and now it won't come off.

Don't you just love when that happens?

jim

Bill Houghton
02-27-2009, 2:39 PM
Didn't give it much thought, but when it came off the lathe it calipered to 1/2 inch. So, put a #8, dowelling bit, in the brace and bored a hole in the head. Tried the head on for size and now it won't come off.

Don't you just love when that happens?

jim

Nice looking little mallet.

I've got a carpenter's type mallet - made years ago from a chunk of oak 4x4 picked up somewhere and a piece of splitting maul handle - in which I had the same experience. I turned the handle to fit the hole, thinking I'd wedge it when I was finished driving it, but it swole up enough from the glue that I couldn't drive it the last 1/4" or so. It's been solid in that mallet now for at least 15 years.

steve swantee
02-28-2009, 8:48 AM
Guess you'll be keeping that pre-lateral now. Slope just got a little steeper - you'll want more pre-laterals to use that nice mallet on. Come on in Jim, the water's fine.

Steve

Jim Koepke
02-28-2009, 1:17 PM
It actually seems a little nicer on wood than my type 9 #6. I have been looking on eBay, mind you, just looking.

My story is it only got bought because that evil tool store was using subliminal calls to me over a PA system and spraying old plane pheromones inside. I couldn't help myself.

Yeah! That's the ticket.

Guess if it goes up for sale, the hammer should go with it.

But I like the hammer.

jim