PDA

View Full Version : Makita 2040

Michael Morningstar
02-26-2009, 9:51 PM
Hello good people of Sawmill Creek,
This is my first post at SC. What a great resource. I just acquired a Makita
2040 15 5/8" planer in virtually new condition. Might someone be able to inform me as to how to set the knives in the cutterhead? It seems that my planer pal jig wont work. Thanks for any insights.
Michael

Brad Patch
02-27-2009, 9:11 AM
My experience lies with the Makita 2030, Jointer planer, but I'm sure there are similarities. First, foremost and everytime, UNPLUG THE MACHINE. Put the knifes in the arbor, leave them high, just barely sung the retention bolts. There is probably a spring loaded pin that locks the arbor at top dead center if so engage that feature. My machine came with two wooden levelers about 1/2 wide 3/4 high and 5 or 6 inches long, actually any scrap wood with a jointed edge would do. The levelers span the gap between the arbor opening and the machines structure. Simply press down on the levelers at the same time and tighten the bolts, do the same to the other knife and your good to go.

Never. ever be tempted to start the machine without the knifes being installed, bad things will happen, don't ask me how I know. If the knifes are not very closely matched vibration can result. My 2030 manual states that when the knifes reach a width of one inch they are too narrow to be used safely.

Have you tried to obtain a manual on-line? Hopefully, I have not lead you astray, if so somebody with more knowledge will come along and straighten me out.

John Callahan
02-27-2009, 1:54 PM
This link should get you to the owner's manual. http://www.makita.com/en-us/Assets/Images/Products/2040/owners_manuals/2040.pdf
You've got a great planer and a reminder to me to give myself a kick in the pants for selling my 2040 (and 2010 jointer) some years ago.