PDA

View Full Version : Brese Infill...how sweet it is

Jameel Abraham
02-26-2009, 9:18 PM
Just finished up my Brese full-size smoother kit.

Ron has become a good friend of mine, he's also a mentor, a colleague, a southern gentleman, a fantastic plane maker, and I love his work. I'm completely biased towards Ron's work and I enjoy promoting it, for good reason. His planes work perfectly, and even exceed expectations. I wish every serious woodworker could get a chance to have one of Ron's planes. They are simply incredible.

The plane is 8-3/4" long, with a 2-1/4" iron in 0-1, bedded at 50 degrees. The infill in ebony, with mother of pearl diamond inlays.

Also shot some video here (http://www.khalafoud.com/media/Brese875-W50.wmv)

Phillip Pattee
02-26-2009, 9:32 PM
Well, while not every woodworker will get the chance to use one of Ron's planes, you could send that one to me and it would be a start.:D You do beautiful work as well. I don't think that if I were to build one of Ron's kits that it would look that nice.

Doug Shepard
02-26-2009, 9:37 PM
Brese Infill...how sweet it is

I'll second that. Outstanding job too.

Bruce Page
02-26-2009, 9:51 PM
A functional work of art.

Hank Knight
02-26-2009, 9:52 PM
That last shot is obscene. I could look at it all day.:o Wow! Nice job on the kit.

What's the report on the miter plane?

george wilson
02-26-2009, 10:10 PM
Very accurately sculpted surfaces,very carefully detailed !!

Bill Satko
02-26-2009, 10:20 PM
I have been following the progress on your blog. Really beautiful work. After reading about your build of both the full size and the small smoother, I am leaning toward buying the small smoother kit . I see where Ron has adapted your modifications to his kit now. If that build goes well, then maybe I will try the full size. Thanks for the tutorial, I am sure it will make it easier.

Ray Gardiner
02-26-2009, 11:35 PM
Congratulations Jameel,

Truly inspirational stuff, you have set a new standard.

The excellent quality of the pictures and video, does justice to the fine work you have done.

How sweet it is indeed...

Regards
Ray

Jim Koepke
02-26-2009, 11:43 PM
Beautiful!

I wish every wood worker could own one too.

jim

gary Zimmel
02-27-2009, 12:04 AM
Sweet Jameel. Real sweet....

Brian Kent
02-27-2009, 12:15 AM
I have to ask. What kind of wood did you get that shaving from?

Berl Mendenhall
02-27-2009, 7:15 AM
I too have been following your build on your blog. Your work on everything, I mean everything, is pure artistry. You are an artist craftsman of the highest order. When you speak I listen. Not trying to mush and gush here, just stating fact. I know of a few people in the violin world who do the kind of work you do, and it's rare.

Berl

Doug Shepard
02-27-2009, 7:19 AM
I have to ask. What kind of wood did you get that shaving from?

According to his blog http://oudluthier.blogspot.com/ it's cherry. Way more cool pics of the kit build if you haven't seen it already.

Dave Anderson NH
02-27-2009, 8:55 AM
Very nicely done Jameel. I did not do anywhere as good a job on the Shepherd Toolworks Spiers infill smoother I built several years ago.

Jameel Abraham
02-27-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks everybody for the nice comments. I appreciate it.

Hank, your "obscene" comment cracked me up! I love that picture. Big brother is a whiz with a camera. I'm working on a blog post about the miter. So far it's exactly what I had envisioned.

Mike Cutler
02-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Nice. Very, very nice.

That is a beautiful plane Jameel. Simply stunning!
I think it is that the fact that function precedes form, and the form is beautiful, is what impresses me most. Well done.

C Scott McDonald
02-27-2009, 10:58 PM
That looks great! I looked at Ron's site but didn't a kit for that plane. Is it new?

Ron Petley
02-28-2009, 12:55 AM
Wow is about all I can say, that is at a whole new level of quality that is beyond me.
Rons plane is truly amazing and Jameel you are the man to really make it sing as it should. Even your photos on your web site are exelent, they look like you has a movie crew spend the weekend lifgting your shop.
Thanks for a little escape into perfection.
Cheers Ron.

Jameel Abraham
02-28-2009, 9:52 AM
Yes, this is the first kit for this configuration that Ron's offered. I'd drop him an email if you're interested in a kit.

Ron does masterful work. I just refined what was already there...

Jim Becker
02-28-2009, 10:20 AM
That's a work of art! Looks like it works, too! :D