PDA

View Full Version : Saw handle design question

Eric Brown
02-26-2009, 4:27 PM
The Disston #9 backsaw has an interesting handle and blade end. I understand the blade can reach into areas a normal backsaw can't, but what is the advantage of the handle design? Note: The picture is from Wenzloff & Sons.

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/saws/images/no9.jpg

Justin Green
02-26-2009, 5:40 PM
To confuse lefties?

Zahid Naqvi
02-26-2009, 11:42 PM
Mike himself will probably answer this. Perhaps a recess to rest your thumb in?:confused:

Jim Koepke
02-26-2009, 11:48 PM
To confuse lefties?

Actually, my first thought is it is a lefty saw and that is where the fore finger rests.

jim

george wilson
02-27-2009, 12:20 AM
The forefinger should go straight down the blade,to aid in the sense of directionality that the operator percieves.

Pedder Petersen
02-27-2009, 7:00 AM
The Disston #9 backsaw: what is the advantage of the handle design?

Hi Eric,

I used a simliar saw once and didn't like the handle. The groove (?) you see on the picture leeds my thumb in a wrong direction.

Beautiful saw otherwise.

Cheers Pedder

Mike K Wenzloff
02-27-2009, 8:37 AM
Hi Eric,

That handle is for holding in the right hand. As such, that is a thumb groove. There is a finger groove straight on the other side for the forefinger leading to the beak (the circular cut out above the end of the brass back). For left-handed people, the grooves are swapped to opposite sides.

It is, for most people, an incredibly ergonomic handle.

Disston made these with both the ogee toe (like shown) and a square toe (like a typical back saw) at least in the smaller sizes. These saws with the square toe show up stamped as public school and manual arts training school saws once in a while. Never seen a square-toed one not stamped for a school, though I suspect they were available.

Take care, Mike

Justin Green
02-27-2009, 9:55 AM
I just received a few older Disston saws and one of them has the thumb groove. The handle is grooved on both sides, but I didn't look at it closely enough last night to see if the grooves were symetrical or if it was a right handed saw... D-8 with the thumbhole I believe. I picked it up with my left hand, as I'm a southpaw, and it still felt comfortable enough...

Eric Brown
02-28-2009, 2:25 PM
I appreciate all the answers. (Even the funny ones.)
Thanks again.
Eric