PDA

View Full Version : A gift more than a gloat

Brian Kent
02-26-2009, 3:15 PM
I was given some tools with a story yesterday. They belonged to a couple named Rex and Jean. The live in Air Force Village West, a retirement center. Rex went into full time nursing care and Jean was going to put these tools on the sidewalk. A friend called me. I had only $50, so I asked her to let me know what she would be comfortable letting go for that amount. She gave me the whole lot.

Rex was a secretary in the Pentagon, career Air Force, and a hobbyist woodworker. Jean's dad has some tools mixed in here. I promised to adopt them and give them a good home where they will be well used.

The #6 plane in picture 2 has a broken side so it will be for parts.

I think the 4th picture is a 2" x 7" skew chisel. I'll take some advice on how long a handle I should make for this little beast.

Brian Kent
02-26-2009, 3:22 PM
The most useful may be the bits and brace.

Brian Kent
02-26-2009, 3:35 PM
Saws are plastic handled Craftsman and Blue Grass (with a Warranted Superior button. If the steel is good I'll make new handles.

The tool on the right of picture #2 is Vietnamese. I think it is an axe.

I have no idea what the 3rd and 4th picture is about. Matbe a sheet metal dimpler and a corner float.

Or is picture #3 a bull moose holder for mating season? I can never tell.

Bill Houghton
02-26-2009, 5:02 PM
I have no idea what the 3rd and 4th picture is about. Matbe a sheet metal dimpler and a corner float.

I believe picture #3 is a veterinarian's tool, though not sure (didn't grow up in farm country).

Picture #4 is a concrete edging tool, used to round off the corners of concrete slabs, sidewalks, etc.

Some very useful stuff there, and a nice gift. I'm sure the widow will feel better knowing that the tools are landing in the hands of someone who'll respect them.

I don't know if you've got a local Habitat for Humanity chapter, but many of them have house-building-specific thrift stores ("ReStore," which is a great name). If you don't expect to do any concrete work, or otherwise find some of the tools aren't useful, they'd probably be grateful - my local one's always thrilled to get tools.

Randall Houghton
02-26-2009, 6:54 PM
Brian
The tool pictured in #3 is used to soften leather. The Red Wing boot guys use it to soften hot spots in work boots. Take it in to your local Red Wing store and ask them to show you how they do it.
Regards
Randy

Brian Kent
02-26-2009, 9:39 PM
The large tanged chisel is a Winsted Edge Tool Company (probably c. 1945).
It is 2" x 7" (at the blade, 11" to the end of the tang).
It is skewed and has a double-beveled blade.

Does anyone know what this is called and used for?

What kind of handle (length, shape) would this normally take?

Bill Houghton
02-26-2009, 10:48 PM
The large tanged chisel is a Winsted Edge Tool Company (probably c. 1945).
It is 2" x 7" (at the blade, 11" to the end of the tang).
It is skewed and has a double-beveled blade.

Does anyone know what this is called and used for?

What kind of handle (length, shape) would this normally take?

Speculating on my part, but from the lack of bolster, I suspect a turning skew. Turning tools, since they are all, in essence paring tools, don't need a bolster to keep the tool from being driven further into the handle when it's struck. I've never seen a 2" skew, but I suppose there's no reason why they shouldn't be made that wide.

Brian Kent
02-27-2009, 10:15 AM
I checked on the Turner's Forum. Not a Turners skew.

But I got a nudge there towards Timber Framing Chisels. I still did not understand the skew, the tang (framing chisels are sockets) and the double bevel.

Then I found this website:
http://www.caribooblades.com/slicksandskews.html

They sell a tanged framing skew with a double bevel.

So I am getting closer, and still looking for how it is used and what kind of handle to make for it.

Bob Smalser
02-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Why is this not a turning tool? It was certainly ground as one with a skewed knife cutting edge. Additionally, neither face of the chisel is crowned for strength as would be common on a framing or bench chisel. Have you ever seen an old, thick, 2"-wide firmer chisel with a tang instead of a socket? And it's pretty clean for an old Witherby.....have you tried to hand-hone it to see if it's made from hard and gummy high-speed steel?

Wide, beveled-edge Stanley bench chisels:

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/5090019/123394642.jpg

Crowned face on wide framing chisels and slicks:

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/3302197/68779484.jpg

Winsted Edge Tool Works in Winsted, Connecticut made Witherby chisels through the early 1950's, and there are several old catalogs available to browse. I don't recall ever seeing a lathe tool from them but that doesn't mean they didn't make them for someone, given the century or so they were in business.

That said, there remain plenty of possibilities. You don't see many turning tools with sockets, either: ;)

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/5813427/74603820.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/5813427/74603564.jpg

Brian Kent
02-27-2009, 5:12 PM
Thank you for your input Bob.

I'll try honing it when I get home. I have an e-mail in to Cariboo Blades. They make a tanged, 2" skewed, double-beveled timber framing chisel.

Meanwhile, here are a couple of old Witherby Catalogue entries:

Scott Richardson
03-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Thank you for your input Bob.

I'll try honing it when I get home. I have an e-mail in to Cariboo Blades. They make a tanged, 2" skewed, double-beveled timber framing chisel.

Meanwhile, here are a couple of old Witherby Catalogue entries:

Hi.
To answer your questions Brian.
Aki and I make skews mostly for carvers, furniture makers, framers and loghome builders. Any size, any shape. The largest we've built had a 4" curved edge with 36" overall length.
A skew can be a very special tool. On the blade you provided I'd put on a 20" handle making it about 30" long overall.
The edge geometry of course is crucial. I'd put at least a 15 degree flat bevel straight into the edge like a slicing knife. Get that edge scary sharp. The long handle is for balance and control. It will be for paring and finishing for your furniture work.
This way you can get right down close to your work aiming down the handle. Similar to a pool cue but even closer.

When it's tuned to glide through wood it will become a favourite.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions please don't hesitate.
Scott.
(Cariboo Blades)

Tyler Howell
03-01-2009, 2:48 PM
Hi.
To answer your questions Brian.
Aki and I make skews mostly for carvers, furniture makers, framers and loghome builders. Any size, any shape. The largest we've built had a 4" curved edge with 36" overall length.
A skew can be a very special tool. On the blade you provided I'd put on a 20" handle making it about 30" long overall.
The edge geometry of course is crucial. I'd put at least a 15 degree flat bevel straight into the edge like a slicing knife. Get that edge scary sharp. The long handle is for balance and control. It will be for paring and finishing for your furniture work.
This way you can get right down close to your work aiming down the handle. Similar to a pool cue but even closer.

When it's tuned to glide through wood it will become a favourite.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions please don't hesitate.
Scott.
(Cariboo Blades)
Welcome Scott,
I think you could be a welcome resource around here.;)

Brian Kent
03-01-2009, 8:01 PM
Alright, Scott!

Thank you for your response and thank you very much for answering online. Your website it fascinating.

I plan on following your advice and learning to use this big gem.

Just to make sure I have this right, to I keep the skew angle or square it off?

Brian

Scott Richardson
03-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Of course you can create any geometry for the job at hand but I wouldn't take the angle off. I would put a slight curve on the edge though.
Similar to this.
http://www.caribooblades.com/skew_edge_175.jpg

Brian Kent
03-02-2009, 1:25 PM
Thank you Scott. I am excited about the project.

I'll pick up some wood for the handle today. I don't have a lathe, but I can either make a straight handle round using router bits and sanding or a shaped handle using spokeshaves and rasps.

have a great day making your beautiful tools.

Brian

Brian Kent
03-05-2009, 9:55 PM
I took your advice to the best of my ability and put a low-angle single bevel on an arched, skewed mega chisel with mega handle. Feels good. Now I await an actual real life situation to use it!

Brian

Jim Koepke
03-06-2009, 1:07 AM
I took your advice to the best of my ability and put a low-angle single bevel on an arched, skewed mega chisel with mega handle. Feels good. Now I await an actual real life situation to use it!

Brian

I have a big chisel, 2", that finds use when making saw horses and other projects when things like 2X4s and bigger get joined with laps and such.

If you are want to use it, make something that needs it.

jim