PDA

View Full Version : end grain figure or cracks?

curtis rosche
02-26-2009, 1:46 PM
i cut a peice of the poplar i got into blanks today. it looks awsome, but when i looked at the end grain i found weird lines. there was regular growth rings, and then there were these sqwigly lines between 1/8 and 3/8 inches long. is it possible that it is end grain figure or just stress fractures? when i tried to cut a thin peice the saw threw the wood and almost took my finger with it. when i tried again it worked but when i bent the peice i didnt see any cracks in it

charlie knighton
02-26-2009, 2:16 PM
sounds like stress cracks

ya might want to strap the piece of wood to a larger waste whole piece so the piece ya want to cut stays put

be careful, it happens very quickly, think things thru

i much rather have the wood strapped down than put my foot down to hold it

Steve Mawson
02-26-2009, 3:58 PM
I would say if you cross cut a piece where the lines are and you bend it but it does not break on the lines then it is not cracked. Mine always break on a crack first.

Jeff Nicol
02-26-2009, 5:22 PM
i cut a peice of the poplar i got into blanks today. it looks awsome, but when i looked at the end grain i found weird lines. there was regular growth rings, and then there were these sqwigly lines between 1/8 and 3/8 inches long. is it possible that it is end grain figure or just stress fractures? when i tried to cut a thin peice the saw threw the wood and almost took my finger with it. when i tried again it worked but when i bent the peice i didnt see any cracks in it
Curtis, Is the Poplar what we all call a Popple (Aspen) or a piece of Tulip Poplar? Is it real light colored without any greenish hues, or does it have some green/brown in it? The aspen will dry very fast and check pretty deeply. The tulip poplar not as fast as the Popple/Poplar/Aspen.

My observations,

Jeff