PDA

View Full Version : New LN Tool ?

Joe Close
02-26-2009, 1:18 PM
It's not in the "What's New" section.
But it is in the "Special Purpose Tools" secition
At least I think it is new, I don't recall every seeing this before.

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=1-48

Narayan Nayar
02-26-2009, 1:23 PM
Saw a prototype of this in Berea and an updated one at the LN Oakland show. Pretty impressive tool. Hopefully they'll put a vid up on You Tube of it in action.

The fence does a 180 to register for two cuts (tongue) or one cut (groove).

The website says they're coming out with a 1/2" stock version. That's probably the one I'll wait for.

Dave Anderson NH
02-27-2009, 8:52 AM
I saw a prototype of this about 2 1/2 years ago, It works well and is like most LN tools an update and improvement on a tool Stanley made for many years in a variety of sizes.

Mike Cutler
02-27-2009, 9:38 AM
I also just saw that plane last nite on their website for the first time.
I like to use the T&G joint for edge glue ups, and I definitely see that plane coming my way. I'd like to see it come in a 1" size for large table top glue-up, but 3/4", and 1/2" are pretty standard dimensions these days. Maybe in the future, or on a special made basis.
If Dave says it works well. That's good enough for me.

Steve LeGrue
02-27-2009, 5:48 PM
I have several of the Stanley versions of the match plane: Reversible and gate-legged like this one. They are wonderful. I can T&G two boards before you can clear off the router table.

Joe Close
02-27-2009, 7:04 PM
New guy question...

So, where do you guys use T&G joints? When I think of T&G, I think of floors and walls.

Bill Stoffels
02-27-2009, 7:08 PM
great tool is there one for the 1/2" and one for the 3/4" or can the one be adjusted for both
Sweet hand tool would love to have one
Bill

Bruce Page
02-27-2009, 9:33 PM
New guy question...

So, where do you guys use T&G joints? When I think of T&G, I think of floors and walls.
The back on this non-neander cabinet I'm building is T&G

John Keeton
02-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Bruce, you need to show us the rest of the cabinet - that looks sharp! QSWO?

Bruce Page
02-27-2009, 10:36 PM
Bruce, you need to show us the rest of the cabinet - that looks sharp! QSWO?
LOL!
John, I’ve been working on this for so long that I’m embarrassed to show any more pics. It was in my shop tour video that I posted a couple of months ago. I’m working on the drawers now; maybe I’ll get it done this year…:o
It is QSWO.

Mike Cutler
02-27-2009, 10:41 PM
New guy question...

Joe. I use T&G joints for long edge grain glue ups. They aid in the alignment of the piece, and provide more gluing area in the joint.
A typical 4/4 edge glue up has a 3/4" cross sectional glue area. Adding a 3/8"x 3/8" T&G increases the gluing area by an additional 3/4" inch of glue area.

Rick Erickson
02-28-2009, 7:10 AM
I saw this one the other day as well and it wasn't in their newsletter (which is usually where new planes get posted). LN told me a few weeks back that they have a plow coming as well. I'm holding out for that one. I would love the T&G plane but my glue-ups go fine without it so I can't really justify it (but hey, who said you need to justify a LN plane before you buy it :D)

John Keeton
02-28-2009, 7:19 AM
Hey Bruce, curious as to whether you have ever chamfered the exposed edges of the T&G to perhaps give it some added dimension and conceal any irregularities in movement? Seems like the combination would work pretty well.

John Keeton
02-28-2009, 7:46 AM
A typical 4/4 edge glue up has a 3/4" cross sectional glue area. Adding a 3/8"x 3/8" T&G increases the gluing area by an additional 3/4" inch of glue area.Mike, do you know if this plane does a 3/8" T&G? From the pic on the website it appears to be perhaps 1/4" x 1/4" - but it doesn't say. Anyone know?

Mike Cutler
02-28-2009, 8:13 AM
Mike, do you know if this plane does a 3/8" T&G? From the pic on the website it appears to be perhaps 1/4" x 1/4" - but it doesn't say. Anyone know?

John

No I don't know the dimensions on the plane. I used the values of 3/8" only as an example for increasing the long grain gluing surface by using a T&G joint versus and edge to edge glue up. I suspect, as do you, it is closer to 1/4", which would divide the joint into three equal section.
Apologies for the confusion.

John Keeton
02-28-2009, 8:16 AM
Mike, no apology necessary. I wasn't really questioning you - just curious about the plane and contemplating if this one fits into my long slide down the slope!! If it is 1/4" seems I would have more possible uses, but also seems that it would not work as well for some applications. I am going to the Woodcraft today for the sale - maybe they will have one.

David Keller NC
02-28-2009, 9:36 AM
FYI to the neander community. L-N also has a chamfer plane based on the Stanley #72 in development. I was informed of this well over a year ago, and was told it was at about the same development stage as the T&G plane, so perhaps we'll see it in the next couple of months.

Unlike a Stanley swinging fence match plane, a Stnaley chamfer plane is very expensive, particularly with the bullnose attachment - typically over $400 if in good shape with the original parts. Hopefully, a L-N version will be sturdier and a good deal cheaper.

Bruce Page
02-28-2009, 11:27 AM
Hey Bruce, curious as to whether you have ever chamfered the exposed edges of the T&G to perhaps give it some added dimension and conceal any irregularities in movement? Seems like the combination would work pretty well.
John, I didn't use a chamfer but I did put a small radius on all of the vertical edges. I was afraid that cutting a chamfer might tear out or split the edge. A radius is eaiser to recover from if you do get some tear out. IMO

Jay Martin
06-07-2009, 11:01 AM
David,

Any word on the Lie-Nielsen chamfer plane? I just received the T&G plane as a gift and love it (I mean, really, it is fantastic!) and the chamfer plane would be phenomenal in tandem with it, as well as in its own right. Thanks!

Jay