PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Bandsaw

Ken Higginbotham
02-26-2009, 9:18 AM
I'm trying to get an older Craftsman bandsaw to working properly. I think I need some parts (bearings/thrust plate?). I found a diagram but the resolution is so bad it's not much help. Any ideas how / where I can get a better diagram? The model number is 135244200 (or 135 244200). Here's what I have found so far:

Diagram Link (http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getSubComp.pd?modelNumber=135+244200&productCategoryId=0744100&brandId=0247&modelName=CRAFTSMAN-10-INCH-BAND-SAW&diagramPageId=00001&documentId=00011353&pop=flush)

David G Baker
02-26-2009, 9:32 AM
Sometimes the well known auction site will have manuals on different types of equipment. Won't hurt to give it a try.
Some of the Sears tools look a lot like some Delta tools so this may be another option if you can cross reference them.

Ken Higginbotham
02-26-2009, 9:39 AM
Thanks David, I'll give that a shot. I ran across something that leads me to think model numbers that start with 135 were built for sears by skil - ?

Ken Higginbotham
02-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Bingo - Found it here:

Link (http://images.toolpartsdirect.com/schematics/skil/hd3640_type_1.big.pdf)

Bill Huber
02-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Ken, for bearing and the like in most cases you can just take an old bearing to a Bearing house and they can find the bearing for you and most generally bearings of that type will be in stock.

Ken Higginbotham
02-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks Bill. The main issue with the saw is that when you feed stock in the blade jumps off. When leads me to think that whatever the blade is supposed to push up against needs looking at. My first, uneducated look at the saw lead me to think something was missing, maybe a bearing/bushing broke/fell off. But after looking at the diagram it all appears to be there. I may take a peek at it when I go to lunch and see if I can make anymore sense about what is supposed to be going on...

Bill Huber
02-26-2009, 11:06 PM
Thanks Bill. The main issue with the saw is that when you feed stock in the blade jumps off. When leads me to think that whatever the blade is supposed to push up against needs looking at. My first, uneducated look at the saw lead me to think something was missing, maybe a bearing/bushing broke/fell off. But after looking at the diagram it all appears to be there. I may take a peek at it when I go to lunch and see if I can make anymore sense about what is supposed to be going on...

The first thing you have to so is loosen all bearing and blocks on the top and the bottom. Then turn the wheel by hand as you set the tension and adjust the wheel until the blade is centered.
Once this is done then you can set the blocks and bearings, your saw will look something like this.

You may also want to get a good band saw book. I have this one and it is a really good book.
http://www.amazon.com/Bandsaw-Book-Lonnie-Bird/dp/1561582891

111506 111507

Ken Higginbotham
02-27-2009, 6:57 AM
Thanks Bill,

I may well get that book, as I am a book kind of guy :)