PDA

View Full Version : Are new and old members afraid?

Jeff Nicol
02-26-2009, 7:06 AM
Hey all, Just wondering why a great amount of new and old members will not put their location in their stats. I just saw in one of the posts from yesterday wondering the same thing. I guess if you are in a witness protection or a criminal hiding from the law that might be a reason not to tell where you live. I know some people may be afraid that some one will find them through the forums and do something bad, seems very unlikley though.

It would make it a lot easier for all the local turners in these mystery located members areas to help them out with hands on help. So don't be afraid of anything, we are all out here to help in any way we can. I am always willing to invite anyone to my shop and give them help on anything they need. This is a normal thing for turners to do but your right to your privacy is yours, just trying to help any of you out there looking for answers.

Have a great day, and if you live in the midwest we are going to get pounded with snow so stay safe and warm!

Jeff

Ken Fitzgerald
02-26-2009, 7:11 AM
Jeff,

Some people value their privacy and security and don't broadcast private information on the internet. That's their right. I respect it.

Bob Haverstock
02-26-2009, 8:49 AM
Jeff,

I don't remember why I didn't give my location. Tell me how and I will add some info.

Bob

Ken Fitzgerald
02-26-2009, 8:54 AM
Bob,

Selecte "User CP" on the upper left of this page....then in the upper left of your user CP page....select edit details and have at it!

Jim Evans
02-26-2009, 9:40 AM
I ain't skeered

We just has to fill out the FAFSA forms for college scholarships. There's no secrecy for my family anymore. You have to tell them everything - not sure why they wanted my shoe size though :D

Steve Campbell
02-26-2009, 9:51 AM
Jeff I put Northern Wisconsin because most people may know where that is. I kind of doubt that many would know where "MILLTOWN" is. Smalltown USA. I'm not too sure everyone here knows where it is.

Steve

Cyril Griesbach
02-26-2009, 10:14 AM
I know where Milltown is if it's in Polk County.

Burt Alcantara
02-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Jim,
They want to know how much C-4 you can stuff in a size 10.

Burt

Steve Schlumpf
02-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Half the fun of listing where you actually live is that folks can look it up - should they really want to know. Not a lot of folks know where Harvey, MI is but can google and see that it is a very small town on the south shore of Lake Superior.

Ed Hazel
02-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Been to Harvey, Mi many times. I am surprised how many Creekers are from Mi.

Glenn Clabo
02-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Some people know exactly where I live...I hear there's a package on my front steps from Harvey, MI .;)

Bernie Weishapl
02-26-2009, 11:33 AM
It is nice to see where someone is from. It indeed helps especially if you are looking for resources or finding help for someone.

Roger Wilson
02-26-2009, 11:42 AM
I guess if you are in a witness protection or a criminal hiding from the law that might be a reason not to tell where you live. I know some people may be afraid that some one will find them through the forums and do something bad, seems very unlikley though.

That's not a friendly way to open a discussion.

You may not be aware but postings are PUBLIC and FOREVER. Thus spouses, ex-spouses, children, friends, relatives, employers, prospective employers, co-workers, lawyers, police, government etc etc. etc. have access to your interests, opinions, activities with a simple Google search.

People post not just on woodworking forums but a wide range of forums covering a wide range of interests and topics.

Since any number of people have been fired or not hired for postings on blogs, forums, MySpace, FaceBook etc. it really is inadvisable to post public personal identifiers.

Bill Wyko
02-26-2009, 11:58 AM
I would think it's due to google providing too much info at any given time.:D

Jim Kountz
02-26-2009, 12:05 PM

You may not be aware but postings are PUBLIC and FOREVER. Thus spouses, ex-spouses, children, friends, relatives, employers, prospective employers, co-workers, lawyers, police, government etc etc. etc. have access to your interests, opinions, activities with a simple Google search.

People post not just on woodworking forums but a wide range of forums covering a wide range of interests and topics.

Since any number of people have been fired or not hired for postings on blogs, forums, MySpace, FaceBook etc. it really is inadvisable to post public personal identifiers.

Maybe so but the truth is if you have ever owned a car, property, used a credit card, had a public utility in your name, a library card or registered to bid at an auction, bought or sold on Ebay, rented a car or about a million other activities, theres nothing anyone would find at Sawmillcreek on you that couldnt very easily be found elsewhere. Google is NOT the only source for information just the most widely used on the internet.
My point is there is really nothing to lose by posting your location here. Kind of redundant at this point.
But it is your choice to do or not to do.

Whatever floats your boat right!!

Wyatt Holm
02-26-2009, 12:12 PM
I would also like to see more where people live. I also will invite anyone to my shop-well most anyone.

Glenn Clabo
02-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Just Googled my name...the first thing that comes up...
Adult Ads - Sawmill Creek (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=77096) :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Tony De Masi
02-26-2009, 12:43 PM
I've got no reservations about posting where I'm from either. But are we also going to assume that the names that appear on this forum are all real? I would assume not all but certainly a very high percentage. Just more food for thought.

Tony

Jeff Nicol
02-26-2009, 1:25 PM
Jeff,

Some people value their privacy and security and don't broadcast private information on the internet. That's their right. I respect it.
Ken, I am not asking them for their address or phone # just what state would be plenty. A lot of people are willing to help others but won't say anything if they have no idea if they live in the same country! If you put your real name in your bio and not a state or country if some one really wanted to find someone they could. But I think it would just be a lot easier for some things to be shown to the person asking the question rather than trying to explain things on a post and not having them understand.

Willing to help, maybe it is not for everyone ,but could be the reason for other troubles in our world today.

Just me,

Jeff

Jeff Nicol
02-26-2009, 1:32 PM
Jeff I put Northern Wisconsin because most people may know where that is. I kind of doubt that many would know where "MILLTOWN" is. Smalltown USA. I'm not too sure everyone here knows where it is.

Steve
Steve, You did fine, at least I know that you are in the same state as me! If you lived in Idaho it would be crazy to invite you to something in Hayward WI would it not? That is the only reason why I asked the question, it will help everyone that wants help to get responses from people who live in the same state. The name of the town just helps narrow it down. I can go on Google earth and look at a satilite image of the whole town of "Milltown" and find the color of your house if I wanted to but that is not what it is all about.

Just trying to be helpful is all,

Jeff

Jeff Nicol
02-26-2009, 1:39 PM

Roger, It was meant to be a little tongue in cheek, like a joke!!! Not sure what the responses would be but it seems that most are up to the task of telling the state they come from. And if you are dumb enough to put a picture of yourself or information directly incriminating yourself or acting like a complete idiot on "MySpace, Facebook, etc. etc. you deserve to get fired, not hired or exposed for what you are.

This was a simple question, not an inqisition into what type of shoes you wear and what movies you watch or what ever you do. If somebody wants to use the fact that I am a woodturner against me for some reason I hope it is to give me more tools and turning wood!!

Did not just fall off the turnip truck,

Jeff

Rick Prosser
02-26-2009, 1:49 PM
Roger, It was meant to be a little tongue in cheek, like a joke!!! Not sure what the responses would be but it seems that most are up to the task of telling the state they come from. And if you are dumb enough to put a picture of yourself or information directly incriminating yourself or acting like a complete idiot on "MySpace, Facebook, etc. etc. you deserve to get fired, not hired or exposed for what you are.

This was a simple question, not an inqisition into what type of shoes you wear and what movies you watch or what ever you do. If somebody wants to use the fact that I am a woodturner against me for some reason I hope it is to give me more tools and turning wood!!

Did not just fall off the turnip truck,

Jeff

I took it as a tongue-in-cheek comment, but I understand it is a touchy subject. I used to be very reluctant to post any personal details online, but I figure that there is enough info on me floating around now, that if someone wants it, they can find it.

Posting the state or general area (Midlands of SC) gives enough info for someone to pursue further contact. I am comfortable with that level of detail, but to each his/her own.

Mostly, I liked the question because it will inform or remind those who just did not know, or forgot to post the information. Those that don't want to post the details won't. No judgments should be passed, and no offense taken.;)

Oh, and I just google'd my name - apparently, I live in the UK? ...Funny, I don't feel British...

Mike Golka
02-26-2009, 2:37 PM
Remember the good old days when you didn't even lock your door whether you were home or not? I think we have created a hateful paranoid world but I for one refuse to give in to fear and let it rule my life. I choose to give everyone an opertunity to be trusted. It is up to them to prove me wrong. This dosen't mean I do not take precausitions, telling the world where I live is not one of greatest fears though.

alex carey
02-26-2009, 2:41 PM
I goggled my name and it turns out I wrote a book called
Taking the Risk out of Democracy: Propaganda in the US and Australia

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/25/006.html

I had no idea I was an Australian author and Psychologist.

Steve Schlumpf
02-26-2009, 2:45 PM
I had no idea I was an Australian author and Psychologist.

and......how does that make you feel? :D:D:D

Gordon Thompson
02-26-2009, 2:58 PM

he probably feels like hopping for freud......

alex carey
02-26-2009, 4:02 PM

Well, I feel happy knowing if woodturning doesn't work as a profession I can always just go back to writing and being a psychologist.

Eric Magruder
02-26-2009, 4:37 PM
Information from my colleagues in INTERNET security.

Personal security has become a serious issue with the vast amount of data being recorded by every web site we visit; and the ability to cross reference this data by just about anyone knowledgeable with the INTERNET and a computer. Most of us who believe we are protecting ourselves by restricting items of personal data here and there are living in a fantasy world. Bit by bit our personal security is whittled down by every place we deal with, collect enough bits and the puzzle picture becomes complete. There was a time when a thief had to raid a mailbox, trashcans, or work in the medical health care industry to steal a persons identity. Now someone can sit in their easy-chair at home a get what they need. The question now is not if we will have our identity stolen, but when.

Challenge people, businesses, and web sites as to why do they need your data, i.e. date of birth on this site. When someone ask for my social security number I ask them why? - are they going to make a deposit or withdrawal from my account? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Jeff Nicol
02-26-2009, 5:06 PM
Remember the good old days when you didn't even lock your door whether you were home or not? I think we have created a hateful paranoid world but I for one refuse to give in to fear and let it rule my life. I choose to give everyone an opertunity to be trusted. It is up to them to prove me wrong. This dosen't mean I do not take precausitions, telling the world where I live is not one of greatest fears though.
Well said! I agree we all should stick together and the world will be a better place! My whole life I have helped anyone who came to me with a need. I never asked for any thing in return, my life is filled with great friends and family and I can talk to anyone with out fear, no chips on my shoulders, no vanity, and no enemies just a modest caring person.

Jeff

John Fricke
02-26-2009, 6:55 PM
Remember the good old days when you didn't even lock your door whether you were home or not?

Fortunately I still live in those days. I rarely lock my house, my shop has never been locked, and I never take the keys out of my truck. Have lived in this community 48 years and havn't been ripped off yet.

Pat Keefe
02-26-2009, 7:13 PM
Funnily enough, I put my full name in google and came up with two Americans. Then I tried derivatives of my christian name and came up with a few more yanks. Even restricting google to Australia, I couldn't find me :D

The only stuff I found was my footy tips on the Australian Woodwork Forums. Even Facebook didn't like me :p

Robert McGowen
02-26-2009, 8:34 PM
As has been alluded to, I think that a lot of the information provided, including name and location, is probably fictitious. I have personally been in contact with or met in person approx. 10 people on Sawmill Creek and 2 of them were using fake names on the Creek. If 20% of the people that actually meet and exchange information or business with you are using fake names, then I think that the percentage of people actually using fake information has to be extraordinarily high.

Gary Kvasnicka
02-26-2009, 9:27 PM
As has been alluded to, I think that a lot of the information provided, including name and location, is probably fictitious. I have personally been in contact with or met in person approx. 10 people on Sawmill Creek and 2 of them were using fake names on the Creek. If 20% of the people that actually meet and exchange information or business with you are using fake names, then I think that the percentage of people actually using fake information has to be extraordinarily high.

I use my real name, how could I make this up.:D

Mike Golka
02-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Fake name? Are these people not proud of themselves, their heritage?

Dean Thomas
02-26-2009, 11:51 PM
Yeah, you may have at least the beginning of a point, Roger, but when folks are begging for help and don't even know how to ask an impersonal amorphous body like this with THOUSANDS of members around the US and lots around the world, it's truly amazing when we find someone that lives not far away and we can get them help in their quest to be a turner or a better turner.

I've had the joy of meeting a number of Creekers face-to-face for a number of reasons. Some of them, I've been able to visit in their shop, have a cup of coffee and help them with some technique or other that was bothering them. Revolutionized their turning. Not my skills, but the 30 minutes for them to actually SEE and feel with someone looking over the shoulder.

And I've also had the joy of meeting with some of the flat wood Creekers who've been kind enough to provide me with some amazing wood for pens for the troops. It's a nice thing.

So, yeah, it might not be a "friendly way to open a post". So now that I'm finishing my post to you, HEY ROGER!!! How 'bout posting a little geographic clue as to where in the world you might be? Some of us might be close enough to get to know you if you'd be up for it. :D

Robert McGowen
02-27-2009, 1:36 AM
I use my real name, how could I make this up.:D

I randomly hit 9 keys several times with my eyes closed to see what happened. On the fifth try I got the following: KVASNICKA

So..........confession time?????? :D:D:D

Jeff Nicol
02-27-2009, 6:48 AM
Fake name? Are these people not proud of themselves, their heritage?
Mike, You hit the nail on the head with that one! The trouble with lies is that it takes lies to cover lies and on and on! All this fibbing is digging us deeper into non-reality. If you watch our news you will see that fibbing and telling untruths is a very popular thing these days.

When I startred this post I just thought about being able to be friendly and helpful to others with like interests and hobbies, I think it hit deeper than that, but it is good that we are all basically open to being a big woodturning family! If you have a fear of letting out info maybe there is something to hide?

Pride is a great thing, but without respect...who knows.

Thanks for everyone being open and honest about how they feel! This has been a healthy topic of conversation.

Jeff

Richard Beuker
02-27-2009, 8:44 AM
Some other forums I belong to use a fictitious name and then only their "first" real name in their public profile with their state and city or what ever. This does leave it private. PM's can bring you closer.

Frank Townend
02-27-2009, 9:11 AM
It is the nature of the beast for Web sites/forums that require "real" names. Nothing fundamentally wrong with that, as I said, the nature of the beast. Because there is some latitude for location, general location is helpful enough. It matters most when selling something or asking for help when looking for local sources for something.

As above, if someone wants to find you, they can.

Did you know I am:

A Community Centre in England,
An author of books about dogs,
A woodturner,
A retired Pennsylvanian attorney,
and
a retired General?

David Cramer
02-27-2009, 9:39 AM
Please allow me to put a different spin on this and it is not about me personally.

Let's say you are working out of your garage making cabinets, or whatever. You use your real name, location, and post pictures. Your neighbor hates you because he hates life and even himself. You're not bothering him and there is no noise issue (the weekend warrior with his garage door open makes more noise). He calls the city because it is against city ordinances to run a "commercial" business out of your house. You get told to shut it down or else (fines, etc.). Your neighbor is hated by all the other neighbors because he looks for problems that don't exist, but in effect is creating them.

Or, let's just say the city code enforcement officer googles your name after you've applied for the city permits for your building, and have built it to code, but then finds out you're on a woodworking forum and sees pictures of your cabinets or whatever it is that you're building. When called into a city hearing, do you think you'll win?

I am who I say I am, at least I think I am:), but if someone else isn't, to me, that's their business, not mine. I've met some decent people through this site and could care less if they came to my shop and said my name is really Jerry Seinfeld or Gilligan:).

Yes, I know about the TOS, but I am not the enforcerer of such rules. Heck, if I found out that Mr. Becker's real name was Joe Plumber, I wouldn't care and why should I? What does that have to do with his numerous helpful posts and his many contributions?

The main thing about this site is that it is for the most part a very civil place. If you're out of line, you will most likely be given a chance and then if it keeps up, you're gone. To me that is as fair as a forum can be (try moderating before complaining, it ain't easy!). I know more than one person who was removed from this site and they deserved it for their rude, arrogant, cocky and arguementative comments, repeatedly. No, they didn't leave, but were demoted to guest status.

That's my personal opinion on it and yours will most likely vary.

So then, put your location if you like, and if you don't, that's your choice, but Jeff has the right to ask the question. That's why it's called a forum.

David

p.s. As you can see, there are other reasons as to why someone would not put their actual location.

Ken Garlock
02-27-2009, 3:08 PM
Hi David.

I think deed restrictions would be a larger hammer than a clerical wedge searching google. (wedge: simplest tool known to man.)

Personally, I can see no problem with people listing the state in which they live. When I lived in Ohio, there was at least one other Ken Garlock in the state. And yet another in North Pole Alaska. There is a ghost town in cALIFORNIA named Garlock. And at one time Garlock was listed on the NY stock exchange. I don't know any of these people and it doesn't bother me in the least.

Hum, after thinking about it, I might just change my location to North America.

Rob Bodenschatz
02-27-2009, 3:17 PM
Since we're talking about names, go ahead & search for my last name on http://www.urbandictionary.com.

Art Kelly
02-27-2009, 4:46 PM
If you lived in Idaho it would be crazy to invite you to something in Hayward WI would it not?

Not if "Something" was Musky Fishing...:D

Art

Curt Fuller
02-27-2009, 7:20 PM
This post suckered me into typing my name into google. It says I'm a pretty famous Jazz Trombonist! In my dreams! And even more ridiculous, if you get in there about 8 or 10 pages there's something that says I'm a woodturner.

Harvey Mushman
02-27-2009, 7:47 PM
Please allow me to put a different spin on this and it is not about me personally.

Let's say you are working out of your garage making cabinets, or whatever. You use your real name, location, and post pictures. Your neighbor hates you because he hates life and even himself. You're not bothering him and there is no noise issue (the weekend warrior with his garage door open makes more noise). He calls the city because it is against city ordinances to run a "commercial" business out of your house. You get told to shut it down or else (fines, etc.). Your neighbor is hated by all the other neighbors because he looks for problems that don't exist, but in effect is creating them.

Or, let's just say the city code enforcement officer googles your name after you've applied for the city permits for your building, and have built it to code, but then finds out you're on a woodworking forum and sees pictures of your cabinets or whatever it is that you're building. When called into a city hearing, do you think you'll win?

I am who I say I am, at least I think I am:), but if someone else isn't, to me, that's their business, not mine. I've met some decent people through this site and could care less if they came to my shop and said my name is really Jerry Seinfeld or Gilligan:).

Yes, I know about the TOS, but I am not the enforcerer of such rules. Heck, if I found out that Mr. Becker's real name was Joe Plumber, I wouldn't care and why should I? What does that have to do with his numerous helpful posts and his many contributions?

The main thing about this site is that it is for the most part a very civil place. If you're out of line, you will most likely be given a chance and then if it keeps up, you're gone. To me that is as fair as a forum can be (try moderating before complaining, it ain't easy!). I know more than one person who was removed from this site and they deserved it for their rude, arrogant, cocky and arguementative comments, repeatedly. No, they didn't leave, but were demoted to guest status.

So then, put your location if you like, and if you don't, that's your choice, but Jeff has the right to ask the question. That's why it's called a forum.

David

p.s. As you can see, there are other reasons as to why someone would not put their actual location.

David....You make some very good points. Your scenario is similar to the one that I use in discussions over internet anonymity.

Lets say you exhibit at art festivals, and you have your schedule posted on your website. All the bad guy has to do is find out, via your website, when you will be on the road. Then rent the UHaul and clean you out.

I posted the above scenario on a website over the summer which was having this same discussion. One fellow said he was retired law enforcement and had never heard of such a thing happening. Well, within a week, a local guy was on vacation, the bad guys found out and ripped everything out of his house and garage...including the appliances,furniture and copper pipe.

The guy on vacation may not have advertised it, but some one found out and took advantage of the information.

Information is power and I try not to provide any more info than necessary to get me by. If you want to Google me...Go ahead...You won't find much.

I live off of the road by a good distance. If someone were to know that I was at a art festival for a week, they could back up a truck, take all day to load it up, and would never be seen. Many folks have sizable investments in tooling and inventory. I think that anonimity is just one way to protect your investment.

H.

Tony Greenway
02-27-2009, 7:54 PM
What I got from my google search, is that I'm basically a jack of all trades both here and abroad, but a master at none.:rolleyes:

Jeff Nicol
02-28-2009, 8:07 AM

David

Dave, Thanks for your support! Heck I feel like a politition now!!Ha Ha!!!

Life is good don't waste it worrying about what may or may not happen!! Live all the way to the end!!

Jeff

Jeff Nicol
02-28-2009, 8:12 AM
Not if "Something" was Musky Fishing...:D

Art
Art, No state location? But knowledge of the big musky waters of Hayward, either a tourist or a local, which one? Which is your favorite lake, Lac vieux desert or Grindstone?

Jeff

phil harold
02-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Jeff,

Now a previous post stated that he never locks his doors...
All I needed was his name, state and town for google to locate his address and phone number

I am looking for a lathe what kind does he have?
What time does he go to church?
And if its heavy who is going to help me?
:D

Cody Colston
02-28-2009, 7:48 PM
Lets say you exhibit at art festivals, and you have your schedule posted on your website. All the bad guy has to do is find out, via your website, when you will be on the road. Then rent the UHaul and clean you out.

Posting a schedule on a web site is quite a bit different from putting your name and city of residence on this forum. In fact, posting a schedule to let people know when you will be away from your home/business is pretty stupid, IMHO.

Personally, I think that the requirement to use real names here (even though some people lie about it) is one of the reasons Sawmill Creek has been so successful. I prefer to know a little something about the people with whom I am conversing...even if it's just online. Giving or receiving advice from a nameless, faceless entity does not interest me at all.

On another forum, there was a member recently who asked "Anyone know where I can buy hardwood locally." The only problem was that the person had decided not to fill out where they lived on their profile. Needless to say, there were no suggestions as to where to buy hardwood. ;)

Curt Fuller
02-28-2009, 9:27 PM
Heck, if I found out that Mr. Becker's real name was Joe Plumber

Oh Man! I knew I'd seen that face somewhere before!:D:D:eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
02-28-2009, 10:05 PM
Oh Man! I knew I'd seen that face somewhere before!:D:D:eek:

Curt...it was probably on the bulletin board at the post office...or on that late night program.....America's Most something....:eek::rolleyes:

Joe Pfeifer
03-01-2009, 10:10 PM
I just decided to read this thread. Very interesting. I used my real name, but obviously don't post my location. Everyone talks about google, but there are other free sites where you can find a persons address and pay sites where you can find out everything. One free site is www.zabasearch.com. With just a name and city/state, you can find an exact address, previous addresses, and birth month and year. Doesn't work for everyone, but I'd bet a couple people that posted here are on there. Next time you post here or elsewhere about going on vacation, your kids, your tools, etc. think about what someone could do with that information.

Jeff Nicol
03-02-2009, 6:22 AM
I just decided to read this thread. Very interesting. I used my real name, but obviously don't post my location. Everyone talks about google, but there are other free sites where you can find a persons address and pay sites where you can find out everything. One free site is www.zabasearch.com. With just a name and city/state, you can find an exact address, previous addresses, and birth month and year. Doesn't work for everyone, but I'd bet a couple people that posted here are on there. Next time you post here or elsewhere about going on vacation, your kids, your tools, etc. think about what someone could do with that information.
Joe, The thing that is a little disheartening is that you would even think about giving the idea to the nuts in the world by your statement. Most of the honest people in the world don't even have the thought cross their mind to steal from anyone at anytime. But all it takes is a little push to get a criminal mind to go over the edge. It is like the media telling everyone where our military is and what they are doing, or how to build a bomb or whatever. The only good thing is that most criminals want the easy haul not an 800lb lathe or a 700lb planer to lug down the street! They like cash and jewels and pharmasuticals. So it is good that most criminals are spur of the moment type people and not planners of disaster, that is why locked doors won't stop a criminal from doing what ever it takes to get what they want at the time they want it.

Locked doors keep honest people honest.......................I hope

Thanks for all who have responded to this post, it proves that the majority of us are caring and compassionate and mostly trusting of our neighbors and the world.

Have a great Monday!!

Jeff

Joe Pfeifer
03-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Joe, The thing that is a little disheartening is that you would even think about giving the idea to the nuts in the world by your statement. Most of the honest people in the world don't even have the thought cross their mind to steal from anyone at anytime. But all it takes is a little push to get a criminal mind to go over the edge. It is like the media telling everyone where our military is and what they are doing, or how to build a bomb or whatever.

Jeff, the nuts of the world already know about it. I share it so that the honest people can see how easy it is to get personal data. It's the some of the same information that police departments publicly share on how to keep kids safe when using the internet. Does that make them responsible for all the internet predators? My hope is that some of the people posting about leaving their houses unlocked and keys in their trucks change their mind about openly sharing that information knowing how easy it is to find out where they live. You started this thread asking if people are afraid to post their information. I'm not afraid, just smart about what information I want the whole world to see.