PDA

View Full Version : First post

Todd Franks
07-12-2004, 11:36 PM
I've been lurking around here for quite a while and have finally got up the nerve to dip my toes in the creek. First let me say this is definitely the friendliest WW forum that I've found.

I first got serious about my WW hobby starting about a year ago. My first project was converting 410 sqft of our unfinished basement into a workshop. Still working on that. I've read about the unwritten rule requiring pictures so I thought I include a couple with my first post. My first WW project was to add a gate to the top of our basement stairway that matched the rest of the railing. I was racing my daughter to completion on this project before she learned to crawl. I won by a day. The second project was an AV cart/end table combo. The glass door was a last minute addition, to keep our daughter's curious fingers off of the knobs and buttons. In case you haven't noticed my theme, I don't get much shop time with a toddler in the house.

I feel guilty taking up server space and bandwidth with pictures of my beginner projects, but I know you all like pictures. Please let me know if these pictures are about the right size. Hopefully someday I can post pictures on par with the works of art the rest of you create.

Thanks for looking,
Todd

Todd Burch
07-12-2004, 11:42 PM
Welcome Todd! I just steal other people pictures from their web sites and post them as mine. :)

The pictures looks good, both in workmanship and size. Glad you signed up and posted.

The udder Todd

Jim Ketron
07-12-2004, 11:46 PM
Welcome to the Creek Todd!!
Great job!
Keep them pics coming
Jim

Ken Fitzgerald
07-13-2004, 1:01 AM
Welcome Todd! Boy....there must be something about that name "Todd". Both the guys here at SMC with first name of Todd turn out some outstanding projects! I wonder what it'd cost me to go to court and change my first name? :rolleyes: ;) :p :D

Frank Pellow
07-13-2004, 6:33 AM
Welcome Todd!

As someone who has recently assisted 3 different families to "baby proof" their homes, it is good to see how your work to do so fits in so well with your decor. So often, child protection devices do not look good. Yours certainly do look good!

Tyler Howell
07-13-2004, 6:42 AM
Take That back, we're not friendly, we're just afraid of the the scary moderators that will cut us off......:p,
Welcome Todd, it's early not enough sleep.
Great place the Creek. Cool and refreshing yet warm and inviting. Nice product! Glad to have you on board.;)

Dick Parr
07-13-2004, 7:11 AM
Welcome to the creek Todd F. :)

Gary Whitt
07-13-2004, 7:53 AM
Welcome to the Creek!!!
Glad you got your feet wet by posting pics. (and yes, they are the right size)
Nice projects you've completed.

Aaron Koehl
07-13-2004, 7:57 AM
Hey Tyler, BOO!
(And welcome, Todd).

Dan Mages
07-13-2004, 8:10 AM
Welcome from another amateur hack! Dont worry about posting your "beginner pics" even the masters had to start somewhere.

Dan

Ken Salisbury
07-13-2004, 8:13 AM
WELCOME TODD

Tyler: http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/hallosign.jpg BOO ! !

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

Tyler Howell
07-13-2004, 8:34 AM
[QUOTE=Ken Salisbury]WELCOME TODD

Tyler: http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/hallosign.jpg BOO ! !

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif
SEEEEEEE! I told you!
TJH:D

Bob Hovde
07-13-2004, 8:54 AM
Welcome, Todd2! Not only do the projects match the existing woodwork, your house is wired for sound. It's no fun if you don't have to figure out how to get the wires under the carpet! :confused:

Bob

Ralph Steffey
07-13-2004, 9:01 AM
I really like the gate nice job.

Terry Hatfield
07-13-2004, 9:42 AM
Welcome Todd!!!!

Nice job on the projects...now...where are the shop pics???

Terry

Brad Schmid
07-13-2004, 10:23 AM
Welcome Todd! Nice work.

Todd Franks
07-13-2004, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the kind comments. Bob, no fishing wires under the carpet, I had to eat a lot of blown in insulation instead. Terry, I'll post shop pictures once I finish the DC system and my shop is as clean as yours.

Jason Tuinstra
07-13-2004, 12:11 PM
Todd, welcome to SMC. You hit the nail on the head, a great group of guys here! I enjoyed reading how your woodworking is being spurred on by your daughter. That's cute. Looks like she's leading you in the right direction! Nice job.

Jerry Olexa
07-13-2004, 1:50 PM
Good job of matching the gate to the railing, Did you mix your own stain or dye?Anxious to see your workshop, Let us know how you're doing! Welcome! Jerry:)

Todd Franks
07-13-2004, 2:25 PM
Jerry, I didn't need any stain or dye. After some experimenting I figured out that just gloss Deft lacquer applied via rattle can was the best match. Actually the existing railing has a little more yellow color than the new gate. It gets a lot of sunny Colorado western afternoon exposure, so I figure the gate will yellow to an exact match in a year or two.