PDA

View Full Version : Minimax FS30

Steve Benson
02-26-2009, 2:21 AM
So i have chance to buy a Minimax FS-30 off CL, seems to be in good shape, but its a 1990's model 11.5" and i cant find any real info about it. Does anyone have one of these machines and can give me info on it. Like does it have Tersa blades, or the same old type of jointer blades that are a pain to install and balance after sharpening. Also just interested in opinions of this machine. I see the FS-30 Smarts and the nicer models all have great reviews on here was just curious bout this one.
Thanks
Steve

David Winer
02-26-2009, 2:51 PM
Your post caused me to do a little research (i.e., Google). Here is a bit of Fine Woodworking's Editor's review, March 2007.

Review (http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuideProduct.aspx?id=28314&tab=_editor)

Steve Benson
02-26-2009, 6:29 PM
the smart isnt what i am looking at and i googled the crap out of it. This is from 1995 it looks a lot different.

Todd Solomon
02-26-2009, 6:44 PM
I know a guy whom has an older Mini Max jointer-planer, and it does not have a Tersa. I would say go look at it to see if it does, if the seller does not know.

Tersas are reeeeeaaallllly nice, hopefully it has one.

Paul Greathouse
02-26-2009, 7:01 PM
You could always go to the source, they should be able to tell you about their older machines.

Phone: 866-975-9663
email: minimaxinfo@minimax-usa.com

Address:
MiniMax USA
2475 Satellite Blvd.
Duluth, Ga. 30096

You could also PM Jim Becker here at SMC, he seems to know alot about the MiniMax line of tools.

Noah Levy
02-27-2009, 9:55 PM
I have one. It is a very basic machine; no tersa, just plain 'ole blades; not as heavy as Nimitz class jointers, but it's got the real estate and gets the job done.

David Sparks
02-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Hi Steve,
I have a Minimax FS35 from the 1990s and have been very happy with it. I don't know if the Tersa cutterhead was an option. Mine had three regular knives. I bought the holders and cobalt double-edged knives from Esta USA. I have had the same set in my planer/jointer for years and haven't had to sharpen them yet. The width of cut on my FS35 is 13 1/2". I do a lot of fretwork and sometimes need to use wide wood that hasn't been glued up, so this machine is very useful to me. I think you would like the FS30.

David