PDA

View Full Version : PC 4212 & Choice of Router

Rob Tolentino
02-25-2009, 11:59 PM
I am considering buying the Porter Cable 4212 dovetail jig. I know it receives decent reviews for the most part and is in my price range. My question is - Does it require a plunge router or can I use a fixed base router? Thank you for your help in this matter.

Tom Esh
02-26-2009, 1:00 AM
Definitely does not require a plunge router. In fact a standard base is actually much better for this - lower COG (more stable) and no chance of accidentally hitting the plunge lever and pulling a DT bit up through the work and template. What it does require is that your router base accepts the standard PC guide bushings.

Bob Elliott
02-26-2009, 10:35 AM
I have a PC 690 with a fixed and a plunge base. I use the fixed base with my 4212 dovetail jig and have great results.

Rob Young
02-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Don't use a plunge router unless you pre-lock the base and essentially use it as a NON-plunge router.

Just about any 1-1/2HP (or higher of course) router will work fine with this jig so long as you can adapt in the PC bushings. Most routers will either take them directly or have an accessory base or aftermarket base that will take them. Unless you plan to work in ironwood, a lower HP router would probably be OK to. Sharp bits and slow feed. But a laminate trimmer (ie. Colt) is probably not a good idea. I doubt you would find bushings to fit it except for the tiny template that comes in the 4216 set.

The standard bushings have outer diameters of 3/4" and 5/8" so there is the possibility of using bushings from a different set. The bit sizes are 17/32" and 13/32" (the trick with the PC 4212 template is the sum of the two bit sizes must be 15/16"). This knowledge is handy when doing inlay dovetails.

Scott Donley
02-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Non plunge. You also need a 1/2 inch collet as the bits that come with it are 1/2 Inch shaft. I also use the PC 690.

Jim Rimmer
04-13-2009, 9:05 PM
Stay away from Ryobi and Freud routers. I couldn't find after market bases that would accept the template bushing for my DT jig. Ended up buying a new PC 690. Now I'm looking for more 690s.

Fred Belknap
04-13-2009, 9:40 PM
It's nice to have two fixed base routers. Saves a lot of time if you are doing several pieces.