PDA

View Full Version : Sawmill Creek Corian

michael gallagher
02-25-2009, 11:37 PM
Back in the fall, I got 10 sets of corian pen blanks from Keith here at the Creek - it's a pretty good deal, 10 pre-cut and drilled for slim line corian blank sets in a variety of colors, shipped to you for just $25 (includes postage). Besides, it supports the Creek so I went ahead and got them.

I had turned one or two right after receipt and, like others, I've been caught up with work and life. I finally turned four more yesterday, and I think I like this corian stuff (other than sharpening a lot). It polishes up nicely with micromesh, and they seem indestructable - don't put this one in-between your teeth and start chewing as it is hard! I really like the black speckled one as it has a lot of depth in the color speckles if that makes any sense.

If you like penturning, want to support the Creek, and haven't tried corian, go give it a shot. Go to the main Creek page and click on the "SawMill Creek Store" tab for more information.

Steve Schlumpf
02-26-2009, 12:12 AM
Good looking pens Michael! I can see what you mean about the black pen. The colored flecks seem to really catch the light! Nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
02-26-2009, 12:47 AM
Those are beauties Michael. Yep the black one caught my eye. Well done.

Keith Outten
02-26-2009, 6:55 AM
Thanks for the plug Michael, I'm glad you like the Corian pen blanks.

I have given away hundreds of pounds of Corian scraps in the past shipping flat rate USPS boxes full of the stuff trying to get rid of my project scraps rather than throw it in the dumpster. A friend of mine offered to make the pen blanks for us, he took the time to setup his drill press to drill the holes which have to be perfect since Corian is 1/2" thick, there is no room for error. After shipping costs and what I pay my friend to make the blanks we make about 5 bucks on each 25 dollar order, if anyone wants to order these we have plenty in stock of almost any Corian color you prefer.