PDA

View Full Version : Wine Rack Question... I'm Confused???

joseph j shields
02-25-2009, 11:26 PM
I was playing around with an idea for a wine rack and came up with the picture below... (playing around with Sketch-up...very fun:D)

The proportions are NOT right & that's where I could use some help.

I'm trying to figure out where/how to apply the "Golden Ratio".

For example... The cabinet will be ~24" wide. If I apply the Golden Ratio (1.618 x 24") the height of the base cabinet (area B) would be ~39" which is too tall.(and this does not include the open area A)

Also... How about the negative space in Area A & C???

A few notes:

Area B is for the wine bottles
The top of Area B should be a comfortable height since this is where people will open/pour their wine.
Area C is for wine glasses.
The depth of the cabinet should be around ~15"
Or should I apply the Golden ratio to just the doors???
It's all so confusing:confused::confused::confused::confused:
What's your overall opinion of the design??? (this is still very rough)

Other comments are very welcome....

Thanks!!!

-jj

Paul Demetropoulos
02-26-2009, 12:19 AM
Joseph,

I'm not surprised you're confused, you're from Milwaukee, your case should be holding beer not wine. Here's what you do.

Get a 30 pack of Old Milwaukee and place in area D. Get two cases of Molson Golden and stock area B with that. I think you'll find that the stock of 30 OM / 48 M Golden almost exactlty satisfies your desired "Golden Ratio". Problem solved. Still confused?

joseph j shields
02-26-2009, 12:23 AM
Joseph,

I'm not surprised you're confused, you're from Milwaukee, your case should be holding beer not wine. Here's what you do.

Get a 30 pack of Old Milwaukee and place in area D. Get two cases of Molson Golden and stock area B with that. I think you'll find that the stock of 30 OM / 48 M Golden almost exactlty satisfies your desired "Golden Ratio". Problem solved. Still confused?

Good Call :D:D:D:D

Actually, I used to work for Miller beer several years ago... Ran their motor sports programs (NASCAR, Drag racing, Indy car...) way too much fun!!!

-jj

Don Morris
02-26-2009, 4:41 AM
Why put opaque cabinet doors over wine bottles? I've never seen that. Only when they're in a temperature controlled wine cooler have I seen wine bottles behind doors. The bottles should be easily accessible and displayed. I don't need to hide my wine rack. When people come into my kitchen/dining area there is an island with a rack at one end. It's open. I would never have thought to put doors over the bottles. Some bottles are much longer than others too. It's sort of like saying "I'd like to, but I can't". (be a real wine rack).

Don Morris
02-26-2009, 4:47 AM
Forgot to add, I spent some time in the California wine country, and now do a lot of wine tasting in the Virginia wine growing area. Seen a lot of wine racks. Built one or two. Unless its a wine cooler, none with opaque doors, glass maybe.

Mike Null
02-26-2009, 6:17 AM
I would do 3 or 4 designs and not necessarily be constrained by using the golden ratio. As an example I would do one version without sides or back with just open boxes to form the containers/shelf.

I especially like the exterior supports and would draw more versions of that.

Frank Drew
02-26-2009, 10:05 AM
I would do 3 or 4 designs and not necessarily be constrained by using the golden ratio.

I agree. I never found the Golden Mean very useful for furniture design; the idea is better than the reality, IMO.