PDA

View Full Version : Tulip

Michael Perata
07-12-2004, 11:02 PM
Neighbor has two Tulip trees to be removed. Trunks appear to be straight about 8 & 10' and both are about 18" in diameter.

Would it be worthwhile to get the trunks and find a portable mill?

Is this wood good for anything?

Cecil Arnold
07-12-2004, 11:08 PM
If it is like the Tulip wood I find in my local hardwood supplier it has a very nice red fleck/vening that I understand goes away with exposure to too much sunlight. Then again, it may be a different wood. Have you given up knots and hounding Rob?

Chris Padilla
07-12-2004, 11:26 PM
Mike,

Sound interesting...could be fun muscling it through the MM20! :D Be sure to seal the two ends of the trunk ASAP...Anchorseal.

Michael Perata
07-12-2004, 11:36 PM
Are you offering to help me drag it four houses. Not sure what would be easier, bring the MM20 to my house or the logs to your house. :p

Michael Perata
07-12-2004, 11:38 PM
Have you given up knots and hounding Rob?

Absolutely knot. :rolleyes:

Just figured there is a better class of woodworker over here! ;)

Andy London
07-13-2004, 6:24 AM
That piece is a keeper and if you are a turner, you will make some beautiful pieces.

A few years back most of the homes in our hometown were bought out due to flooding as a result of dams being built on a river that ran through our town. The home my parents had owned for 50+ years had a beautiful garden in the back. After the house was torn down I went in and cut all the trees before the town had a chance to chip them. Mom had two tulip trees and a magnolia (sp?) that were pretty big. I cut them into boards on the bandsaw at the time as I did not have a lathe and made a lot of projects, the wood was beautiful.

Andy

Russ Filtz
07-13-2004, 9:15 AM
THIS IS WRONG! I was thinking of Lyptus wood!!
I don't think that tulip wood is the same at the wood stores. I was asking about it and the salesguy said it was an engineered species (part of the eucalyptus family) that is plantation grown in the southern hemisphere (either S America or Australia I think). That's why it's so cheap (at least at my local place). Seems to be a nice wood and fairly hard, almost like maple but with a reddish/pinkish tint. The wood color may be where they came up with the name. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

Chris Padilla
07-13-2004, 10:34 AM
Are you offering to help me drag it four houses. Not sure what would be easier, bring the MM20 to my house or the logs to your house. :p
I have a truck that should be able to decently handle the logs but we should look into getting a blade specifically for cutting green wood. The last time I did this it really, really gunked up the blade and my tires!

:D

Jamie Buxton
07-13-2004, 11:01 AM
Neighbor has two Tulip trees to be removed. Trunks appear to be straight about 8 & 10' and both are about 18" in diameter.

Michael ---
There's a tree surgeon named Blair Glenn in Campbell who has a portable band mill. He can take down the trees and slab them up for you. 408 866-7200 www.saratogatreeservice.com

Jamie

Chris Padilla
07-13-2004, 11:03 AM
Whoo-hoo!! Thanks for the info, Jamie. That just may come in handy one of these days....

Lee Schierer
07-13-2004, 12:23 PM
Tulip Poplar is a common hardwood. It is used for cabinet framing and drawersides. It can be stained to look like cherry, though it is softer than cherry. It works well and is stable. The first coat of paint or finish will cause the fuzz on the surface to be rather rough, but a quick sanding between coats usually takes care of the fuzz. It can have streaks of brown, green and purple in the wood. These usually mellow out to brown when left exposed to light.

Check the wood with a good metal detector as trees from yards can habor nails that are hidden from view.

thomas prevost
07-13-2004, 7:07 PM
Most important info--Check for metal!!! It can cost you a new blade for your sawyer and any damage. Ax and hammer can remove most metal. Tulip popular also stains poorly similar to hard maple leaving splotches. But, any wood is good wood if it is free. Where else can you get wood for $.25 a board foot (Sawyers fees).

Rob Littleton
07-13-2004, 7:36 PM

Dang, missed you by weeks.......just moved from SJ to AZ.

If you are willing to share the off cuts, I have seen some pens that look pretty good in tulip wood. I'll have my buddy come by and get them if you have any.

Cheers

Jim Becker
07-13-2004, 8:29 PM
Tulip popular also stains poorly similar to hard maple leaving splotches.
Tulip poplar is wonderful to work with and takes dyes very well, but you are correct about pigment-based stains. I've built a lot of furniture with it and have not had any finishing issues using the dye. Take a look at the "kids furniture" article on my site for some examples.

Cecil Arnold
07-14-2004, 12:10 AM
Absolutely knot. :rolleyes:

Just figured there is a better class of woodworker over here! ;)
I quiet agree.